Post op teachers.....or similar field..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Hi guys,

I don't want to exlude everyone's opinion here.....because i value all of yours.

I am a teacher. I teach third grade and at times it is very stressful as far as getting down and reading stories in small groups, PE, etc. I know some of you have more stressful jobs for sure, I am just describing my situation.

My doc is willing to release me when I am ready. I get 60% of taxed pay and then 25% of untaxed pay so it comes out to about 90% of my gross salary with the mix of taxes and untaxes. I get paid for as long as I am out. My doc said the standard is 6 weeks....I don't see her again until 4 weeks, which is 6 weeks out. She will release me then, and I am sure I will be ready.

I am feeling very guilty...my students go back on January 7th, but I won't be back until the 15th. While I think I may be able to go back on the 7th, if it is too hard and too tiring, I can't then change my mind and take more time off. My disability will be lapsed. I just don't know how I will feel when I am working....I get tired real easy.

I don't know what to do....risk going back and it being too hard, or taking the extra time...again. money is not the issue because I get pretty much full pay.

Does this make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 09:50 PM

If I were able to take the full recovery time, I would do it; but I do understand where you're coming from, with you being in a profession where kids are what matter.

Better to take the time while it's still available (and paid at 90%), than to go back, find out it was the wrong idea, and then not have the option to take more time.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:53 PM

That is what I am thinking too.....but I love my class so much! It hurts not to be there, but I know if I go back and am achy and icky all the time....then I won't do them any good!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2007, 10:26 PM

TeacherAngel:
I'm an elementary school guidance counselor and I am also "up and down" alot in the course of my day. Of course, my principal will say that she considers my job to be a desk job (hahaha!!!). But at any given time, I could be running out to assist with an emergency, direct a fire drill, assist a student in a wheelchair get off the bus, up and down getting student records out of file cabinets~ you get the picture.

I'm also concerned about when the 6 week point falls on our school calendar.... January 17th for me. Our students and teachers return to work on Wednesday, January 2nd. I just don't see it happening for me on the 2nd. In fact, I'm not really sure I could even do it on the 7th.

My pay situation is a little worse than yours.....I'm getting about 50% of my regular pay and things are a little tight. However, my husband is very supportive, we have some savings, and we don't have any children still at home. So, our situation will tolerate this pay situation for another month or so. Just like you, if I make the wrong decision or cave in to the pressure from my principal to return before I'm ready.....I lose the disability pay possibility and I'm completely out of sick leave. I'm thinking $450 a week is better than nothing and at least on disability with FMLA protection....I'm protected should things (god forbid) get worse or complications develop.

And finally......I'm a little concerned about going back into "germ land" until my strength is 100%. The last thing we need is a case of bad cold, bronchitis, or flu. I'm out of sick leave.

My vote: We stay out of school until the doc says we are 100%. We are going to be much better for our students in the long run because we only get this one chance to heal properly.
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:32 PM

Happy Birthday! I am not sure what time zone you are in.....but happy bday!!!!

I am out of sick leave also......so if I go back and can't do it or get sick, I only get paid 60% instead of the full paY!

i think I will not go back until the 15th, I just hate not knowing....I dont wanna stay home and be fine but I think being fine at home is not the same as being fine at work. It is just two different things....one is so much more strenuous!

Thanks for you support....you are so kind and always so quick to respond!
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:02 AM

TeacherAngel,
I had a TVH 6 weeks ago Wed. and think it would be smart to take the full six weeks. I used to teach a 2/3 combo. and remember how much actual moving a teacher does. Sitting just doesn't happen. At the beginning of week 5 I still tired easier than usual, and that would be a BAD thing in a classroom. As hard as it is to let someone else teach your kids, it's good to hear that you realize how important resting is to your healing.
Take care and continue to heal well!
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:15 AM

I teach 3rd grade, and I am going back at 5 1/2 weeks. I am a single mom with 3 kids, and I just have to do it. I am having a great recovery, so I don't think it will be a problem. Our principal is very helpful, as well as my team. They will help take my kids to and from classes if necessary. I will probably fall on the couch everyday when I get home, but if I am careful, I believe it will be fine.
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:47 AM

Hi, sounds like you had the same surgery I had last December. I am a special ed teacher. I went back 4 weeks and it was very hard, only because I was sooooo very tired and I don't teach elementary school so I didn't have to get down on my knees or pe, just teach and walk and that sometimes made me tired. It took a good 8 to 10 weeks for me to feel 'normal' and even for a few months after I would occasionally get wiped out. Take it slow. I hope you have a great holiday. My surgery last year went well and I feel great now. I started premarin around 4 months after the surgery because I started getting the flashes. Although I did not have cancer I had an oncologist gyenecologist and he said the low dose of premarin .625 would not be a risk factor since he took out all my parts and it is only estrogen, not mixed with progesterine. He said it took so long for my flashes because I was over weight and estrogen is stored in fat tissue, lord knows I had 4 months of storage, lol. However I did lose 30 pounds the first 3months because I ate real healthy but then I jumped back on the fast food wagon and regained twenty, so now I am going back to healthy eating again. You will feel great, look up and be positive.
Tammy
Unread 12-18-2007, 06:41 AM

I teach English at a college; not quite as demanding as 3rd grade, but I can certainly identify with what you're saying. I admire your concern about your students but you need to take care of yourself first. If you go back and leave again it will probably be more disruptive to them than if you come back later in the semester than the first or second week. Someone will be taking your class that first week or two, so what if you send a letter with him/her for your students explaining what's going on and why you're coming in later? That way your students could feel connected to you and know that you won't be gone too much longer. Kids that age really seem to appreciate it when you let them know what's happening, and a little reassurance is usually sufficient to make them feel okay about a situation.

You will be tired. I ended up taking the entire semester off (surgery was 10/12/07) because I knew how demanding everything would be on my body. It's been 2 months and I still have some issues with stamina. Just be good to yourself and don't rush. Your body has been through a trauma and it's going to need a lot of time to adjust. Good luck.

P.S. Isn't teaching great?
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:47 AM

I teach 5-12 orchestra. The holiday season is the second busiest time of the year with concerts and stuff. I felt like I was betraying my students! Afterall, I've had this problem for a few years and could have done this in the summer! Well, my situation worsened quickly and here I am at 5.3 weeks postop with a TAH. I had grand plans preop of going back at 4 weeks just in time for concerts. At week 2 it was very obvious that wasn't going to happen. The thursday before I had "planned" on returning I cried for three days straight cause I wasn't going back. I sat back and looked at the situation. There was no way I was going to be able to run around preconcert, give a concert, clean up after a concert and go home without falling to pieces. On a good day I was exhausted after a concert! My students have a wonderful substitute who was willing to get them prepared for their concert. I am so grateful for that! I have the sick time available and even though I had to work through the guilt of letting the students down I know I made the right choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register