Post op teachers.....or similar field..... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 12-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

I am a teacher. Although, for the past five years I have worked primarily from home as an advisor for homeschoolers with a public charter school. I do, however, remember those long days in the classroom followed by long evenings. I am just 3 weeks post-op. There's no way i coudl teach in a classroom right now. I know how difficult it is to be away from your kids. I have gone back to the paperwork and phone/email support part of my job, but I haven't seen my kids since before Thanksgiving. I miss them terribly! So, I know what you are going through. But you won't be able to be there for them when you need to if you don't heal right. Take the time. Enjoy the relaxation. Go back on the 15th refreshed and fully healed! Maybe you could be allowed to go back as a "guest" for their holiday party for a half hour or so? Then you could at least see them.

Hugs...

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11/26/07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM

I am an Adult Education Teache. I train people to start their own businesses in The custom home furnishings industry (how to make custom window treatments) and I have to tell you..TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN! I am 8 weeks out and i am just exhausted around 2pm. You need to rest. The kids will be happy to see you when you get back.
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:51 AM

I love how we teachers all feel the same way - we miss our students but......for once in our working lives we need to come first!!
Take as much time as you can - I won't be back in my Special Ed. class until Jan. 15 - that will be 8 weeks, and even then if I find it too much I will adjust my schedule and maybe only go 1/2 time.
Remember our mantra - we have one chance to heal right - pamper the princess teacher!!
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 11:33 AM

Total empathy. I teach 10-11 year olds and I feel so guilty leaving them at Christmas and am not due back until February half-term.

Took me a long time to get plans in place to minimise the impact of my absence on children and staff (my friend is coming back from maternity in January and will need support)...did 3 months work in 3 weeks.

I was still emailing people the day before surgery reminding my replacement to get plenty of white paint for their art project..lol..

So many issues to work through...and then at pre-op the woman said 'you are looking at 12 weeks off in a job like yours..I just burst into tears(I dont do tears!!), they told me 8 weeks and you cant just keep moving the goal posts..

Anyway - i have the same issue over money - if i go back too soon, the school insurance stops, and they arent covered if i relapse... but i want to get back as soon as possible..

Think there are lots of pros and cons about this..but you know as well as i do that once your back to work, you cant go back half-heartedly...there is no easing back into it...so im just going with it.

im just a week pre-op and feel good, and find it hard to believe it will take me so long to get back, but have been told not to rush it..

not being helpful here, but i think all the advice is - take all the time you can...you never get another chance to heal..kids won't even remember you;ve been gone after a couple of weeks...

take good care
x
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Good point about the kids not even remembering! Once we get back it will truly be like we never left. And life goes on..... I just kept telling myself I have to do this right the first time!
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:29 PM

I teach 5th grade. My surgery was Dec. 4 and I plan to go back Jan. 7 if I get the go ahead. My teacher friends that are hyster sisters are telling me to start back with 1/2 days. I can do this because I'm not on disability. I am on FMLA and am using sick days, which I have lots of.

Could you go back on the 11th or 12th. That way you would have a short week with the weekend to rest before tackling a 5 day work week? I'm considering this.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:08 PM

Dear Fellow Teachers:
I teach 3rd grade and am 46 years old. My school starts up on January 14 and that will be 7 weeks for me since my TAH. It is possible for me to take an extra week and return on the 21st. I am waiting to see how I feel and what my energy level will be. Please remember that we only get one chance to heal properly and how well we heal affects not only future health, but also our families and careers. Teaching is demanding especially if you are expected to return to yourjob with the same endurance you had before surgery. The parent of one of my students is on the nursing staff where I had my surgery. She recommended that I take the complete time, 8 weeks, if at all possible. Why? So i can have all the time I need to heal PROPERLY and then be able to give my best to my students when I return. To quote another "princessa" We are going to be much better for our students in the long run because we only get this one chance to heal properly.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all of your responses....logically I know I need to stay home and heal. It took everything out of me just to go to the store tonight.....I bet I will need that extra week in Jan.

Thanks everyone!!!
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:30 PM

Hi!
I am an inner-city, 8th grade teacher, with 6 classes, for a total of about 100 students. When I told my Dr., that after my Dec. 13th TAH (kept the cervix, though), I wanted to go back after winter break, on the 7th, of Jan....he just shook his head...no. I have a 5 week check-up to see if I can go back on the 22nd, but after reading all of these posts...it seems 5 1/2 weeks will probably not be enough.
I had pneumonia, once, but the hospital forgot to tell me...they said bronchitis, so I went back to work after a day on antibiotics...I ended up missing about 2 weeks of school by going back too soon.
I don't want that to happen, again, with the hysterectomy.

I get 100%, have over 160 sick days, and a good sub, so I may even take the 6th week.
I DO feel guilty about my kids, though, so I know what everyone's going through.
I'm secondary math, and my sub isn't a certified teacher, yet, so it will mean some more plans I need to create, for her.(Work, examples--step-by-step, answer key with every step, since it's Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1)

As most teachers have experienced, it's usually a lot more work being absent than being there...LOL
J
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Hi all
I teach kindergarten and like many of you, am out of sick days now. I had TAH December 4th and am going to call doctor next week to see if she will release me to go back on Jan. 7th - a planning day for us. I really need to go back. I am not sure she will. When I asked about it at 2 week appt, she said I may need the full 6 weeks - that I could call her the week before I am ready to go back to schedule an appt to talk about it.
I hated to miss all of the Christmas activities with my 'babies'. I went to visit them about 3 times since my surgery - they were so sweet -hugging, patting my hand, drawing pictures for me. I have really missed them. I did grades while I was off so they are turned in. Now I have to start scheduling conferences. Our winter DIBELS testing is coming up. There is soooooooo much to do - I am praying that she releases me next week. It is more work to plan for a sub than it is to just go in!
God bless you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register