Post op teachers.....or similar field..... - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 12-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Hi!
I'm the other 8th grade math teacher!
We have the "Tests", too...for "Leave EVERY Child Beh....nevermind..Don't let me get started.....LOL
OUR kids will still go to high school, no matter their scores, but at 85% or more below poverty level, their test scores don't reflect the amazing staff that I work with. (They and their families are in the school of "survival", first and foremost.)
We could get "reconstituted" if we don't get the reading grades up. We made it in math two years ago, so we are just on a warning to get the math scores up.
I signed up to do after school math tutoring, before I knew I was having the surgery, so I won't be doing that until I'm back at school.
We aren't cleared until the Dr. states we are returning with "NO RESTRICTIONS", so sitting down most of the day isn't an option.
Everyone here, on this thread, seems to be going for 8 weeks, so I'm worried about 5 1/2 for me.....I guess we'll see how we feel in a few weeks, huh?
As far as staying awake for 8 hours a day, as another sister stated, I haven't been able to nap in a week, and don't fall asleep until between 1 and 3AM, and that's not amazingly comfy, so I'm not as exhausted as most of my "sisters"....or I'm becoming an insomniac...LOLOL

My sisters at this site are amazingly helpful, and this teacher thread has really gotten me seeing that the kids WILL survive if I'm not there for a couple of weeks extra, and since I have paid sick leave to spare...I WON'T rush it.

Thank you ALL!!!

Happy New Year!!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Hi, J-the "other" math teacher!

I'm like you......don't even get me started about these standardized tests.....our scores have been far below what we would all want which is why everyone from the top down is putting serious pressure on us to get the scores up........and then they turn around and tell us NOT to put pressure on the kids.........HELLO?!?! I've always made myself available for after school tutoring as well, but just not sure how much I'm going to be able to do at this point.....I have 1st period conf. period, and then 4 classes, then a SPEEDY lunch, and then 3 more classes..... I get tired just thinking about it! And I'm not getting a full 8 weeks either....probably 3 at the most.....my nurse practitioner today was VERY sympathetic about not wanting me to go back too soon, so we'll just see.......my LSH was on 12/17, so going back on 1/7 would make it just shy of 3 weeks & she's not sure yet if she wants me to go back or not.......I'm going to let my body be the guide! She's not even too keen on letting me go back for inservice on 1/3, but said that since I can get up early and leave if need be, that would be OK.
Unread 12-28-2007, 09:04 AM

Hi teacher friends,
My LAVH, BSO was Dec. 4 and my dr. gave me the go ahead to return to work on Jan. 7. I am feeling great and he thinks I will be fine. He told me to take it easy and to teach from a chair if necessary. I will definately take it easy and may even rest in the nurse's office just to get my feet up during my conference period. I will miss the days of sleeping late but will be ready for my schedule to be more "normal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Well I am a parapprofessional, I work with High School special needs kids, we have 2 in wheel chairs that have to be lifeted out of them to change them or to assisted them to the bathroom, and I have to go back on Jan. 7th, I will be just right at 3 weeks post op., but their is 3 of us in the class room, the teacher and the two of us that are the paras, so I will have help, but I am worried about just getting really tired. I won't have to lift , the other WONDERFUL ladies that I work with are not going to let me do any of the lifting! I love them. But anyway, if you have the time I would take it, I don't have the time yet , since I just started my job this year. But anyway, I hope you all have a great first day back at work when you do go!
Unread 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM

Hi sisters,
I teach pre-k and I have 24 kids and two assistants in my group. I share a room with two other groups of pre-k's, another teacher her 2 assitants and 24 kids and Spec Ed teacher, her assistant and 10 kids. Crazy huh? 8 adults and 58 kids all together in one small classroom on rainy days. I'ts enough to make you insane!
Normally we do one group in one group out in the morning but in the afteroon we are all together without Spec ed they only come in the morning-sounds crazy huh!
That is Los Angeles Unified School District for you!

So I am taking my whole 8 weeks of recovery if it kills me! I need to be well healed to face all the shoe tying, hugs and kisses from cute little snotty noses and crazy non- age-appropriate curriculum and paperwork (way too much for pre-school) although they pay me well!

So I am trying to relax and I keep updated on my kids through my staff. Although I only get half pay I am trying to enjoy this time off I will probably never get it again, although i wish it was for a better reason! (We are open all year and only get major holidays and one week at Christmas off) Just thinking about probably makes you elementary school teachers shudder! You are so lucky!

Well hang in there everyone and God Bless!
Rocky cat
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:46 PM

58 kids in one room?! What size is the room?
Unread 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Tracia26d - Please be careful and take it easy when you go back.

Rocky cat - I can't believe there are that many kids in the room! Lots of chiefs too. That must be difficult. I am so glad you will take 8 weeks off!
Unread 12-29-2007, 12:04 AM

I teach kindergarten. I started school at six weeks. It was very hard. I know how you feel about leaving the kids. However, the students need you back at full speed. They will have missed you and really won't understand if you aren't 1000%. One word of advise, don't put up bulletin boards to early in your recovery. I put up all my boards before school started, not even thinking that I probably shouldn't. ( 5 weeks out) I had real pain for several days afterwards.
Unread 12-29-2007, 01:17 AM

Hi! I am a part time preschool teacher. I think it is important to make sure you feel ready before you go back. We tend to put everyone else ahead of our own needs. In the long run you will be better able to serve your students if you are feeling stronger. I had a tvh with some extra stitches for a cyctocele and rectocele repair. Although the operation went well I kept getting sick. I went back at 6 weeks but ended up taking more days of becasue of bronchitis and sinus infections. My immune system must still be weak. At 11 weeks I am finally starting to get over it just hoping by the time I go back next week I will be at full strength.
Unread 12-29-2007, 06:48 AM

I had mentioned that I am a principal in a 3 floor building PK-5 about 400 kids. I think when I go back I will need to make arrangements for my head teachers (have 2 of them) to handle issues that require physical intervention, or sprinting up 3 flights of stairs. The meetings and office work and the 40 minute drive each way, while fatiguing, isn't the dangerous part, but the stairs and perhaps hands on restraint with kids would not be safe for me. If there is a way to cover for those kinds of incidends ( not too often ) I would be comfortable making a plan for return. I am new to this district and have no idea about sick leave, disability, etc. Will see what the MD says on 1/8. Unless you are in educationpeople don't understand how hands ona job it really is. - Suzyq

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register