Post op teachers.....or similar field..... - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 12-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Hi

I am a special ed assistant my dr told me I could go back at 4 weeks so that would be the week that the kids come back for break. I am worried about it becuase I sometimes have to restrain kids and help them down stairs. I am going to call my dr this next week and see what she wants me to do. I am out of sick pay so the 2 weeks extra would be without pay. I am also going to talk to my bosses and see if Icould come back and just do reading and math groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM

I wish there was a way I could go back half-day, but not sure that's a possibility.

suzyq.......I would definately ask your head teachers to step in and help w/some of the more phsyically demanding parts of your job.......that's what they're there for!

I've already decided I'm going to have to do most of my teaching sitting down.......kinda hard since I'm a math teacher and I'm used to standing up to demonstrate how to work problems and walking around the room to make sure everybody's doing their work correctly........guess we'll see how it goes.
Unread 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM

I am really having a hard time with this. I am due back on January 7th and I am a paraprofessional in middle school. I work 4 classes in small group/inclusion and for 2 periods I go to PE/ and another connections class. Our paras have no breaks or lunches(we work a straight 7.5 hours a day/no part time in my county). I am on my feet all day long and even do the mile fitness walk with some of our special needs kids. It was tough for me to do the mile in 14.5 minutes while holding two hands before surgery, much less now! I am so afraid this is going to be too much! Or am I just being whiny? I feel good but the long periods of standing are going to get me I'm afraid. HELP! Should I beg for 2 more weeks?(It will be 6 when I go back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportneeded
I've already decided I'm going to have to do most of my teaching sitting down.......kinda hard since I'm a math teacher and I'm used to standing up to demonstrate how to work problems and walking around the room to make sure everybody's doing their work correctly........guess we'll see how it goes.
I know how you're feeling!! I teach Pre-Algebra and Algebra...6 classes a day... and understand your worries, because we DO have to show examples, and walk around the room, constantly.<br> How long are you taking off brfore you return to school?<br> I have a couple of ideas, though.<br> 1) Get an overhead projector and a screen, or just project on the wall or blackboard (or have kids tape up white paper.) You can do your examples on the overhead film...just have some sunglasses (it will be unbelievably BRIGHT, sitting beside the overhead.) and lots of wet and dry paper towels (for wiping and drying the film.)<br> 2) Have the students come to YOU, at your desk, or chair, with their questions. (You'll still be accomplishing what you need to, but without stressing your body way too much.)<br> -J-
Unread 12-29-2007, 02:28 PM

I teach 4th grade. I would like to go back at 5 weeks, but I don't know how I'll feel then. I was able to borrow days from our sick bank so I will get 100% of my pay. Teaching is not a desk job. It's draining and many demands. Your kids will be ok with a sub. The most important thing for you to do is to heal yourself. I've got a sub for 6-8 weeks.
Unread 12-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Sisternumber3, I don't think you sound whiny at all! Knowing what we return to I think can be overwhelming. While some of us can tweek how we do things some of us can't. Is there anyone you can ask if you can get help and not have to do the pe thing? If your colleagues aren't able to help cause of scheduling and stuff then maybe you should talk with your doctor. I think about walking down the long hall at school and I get tired just thinking about it! And that's just getting to school......sigh. I'm worried too. :-(
Unread 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserita
Sisternumber3, I don't think you sound whiny at all! Knowing what we return to I think can be overwhelming. While some of us can tweek how we do things some of us can't. Is there anyone you can ask if you can get help and not have to do the pe thing? If your colleagues aren't able to help cause of scheduling and stuff then maybe you should talk with your doctor. I think about walking down the long hall at school and I get tired just thinking about it! And that's just getting to school......sigh. I'm worried too. :-(
I agree w/you completely. Discuss all this w/your dr. When I expressed my concerns to my dr (his nurse practitioner, actually), she was VERY sympathetic to my concerns and said I should not go back until my body is ready.....regardless of whatever the "usual" recovery time is.

I don't WANT to be out an excessively long time (if I have to go back, ha!), but I think it's best to stay home as long as your body requires........especially in your case where your job is so physically demanding.....just walking a few houses down the street wears me out!

and about 8th grade math........I already do have a projector in my room that I use most of the time....I'll just have to find a lower table to put it on so I can SIT while I'm using it instead of standing........and yeppers, the kids will have to come to me instead of vice-versa......when do you go back?
Unread 12-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the help sisters! I just love you guys! I am going to talk to my dr. She has been soo wonderful!
Unread 12-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportneeded
and about 8th grade math........I already do have a projector in my room that I use most of the time....I'll just have to find a lower table to put it on so I can SIT while I'm using it instead of standing........and yeppers, the kids will have to come to me instead of vice-versa......when do you go back?
I have my checkup around the 16th, to see if I can go back the 22nd, which is almost 5 1/2 weeks, but now, I'm nervous going back that soon.<br> I guess I'll see how I feel then...my Dr., I'm sure, will keep me out as long as I need, but those LESSONS we have to prepare, w/examples, and detailed answer keys for the subs....recording the grades and averaging the quarter grades..while HOME, is so much work!!...LOL<br> As all of my teacher sisters know...it's so much harder, to stay home than to be there...but I guess that's more mental. I think the physical strain is all we should really think about. <br>Doing lesson plans from bed, in front of the TV, with chocolate, CAN be more fun than doing it all at a crowded desk, in the almost five TOTAL minutes a day we have to breathe, at school...LOL
Unread 12-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by math-teacher
Doing lesson plans from bed, in front of the TV, with chocolate, CAN be more fun than doing it all at a crowded desk, in the almost five TOTAL minutes a day we have to breathe, at school...LOL
Hey, I think I could get used to that!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register