Post op teachers.....or similar field..... - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

I teach 4th grade and I am planning on returning to work half days on 1/21/08 and full time on 1/28/08. I feel so guilty about taking time away from the kids. But I became anemic after the surgery and had a few complications. I get tired very easily too. I totally understand the dilemmas posted here. We as educators feel such a responsibility. I have a new principal starting while I am gone and worry about her reaction concerning my absence. I did get a good sub and planned everything for her. I am on our school's literacy team and am supposed to go to a meeting on the 9th for half a day. But I wonder if my new principal will think if I am able to go to this, I am able to return to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM

daffodil79, going to meetings and actually teaching are 2 separate things! I think meetings are a LOT easier than actual teaching! Hopefully your principal will be understanding........there are just some circumstances that are beyond our control.

My concern is that I'm on a curr. committee that meets early in Jan., (can't remember which day), and I'll probably be back to teaching by then but don't want to miss another day of teaching due to a day long meeting! Plus several of the math teachers in our bldg. are involved in a grant program that requires us to be out once a month or so, and all those days just add up! Even though all those days for meetings, etc., don't count off of my alloted days for the year, they do take me away from my students.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM

Take as much time as you need! You know that once you go back, the race begins again and it just spirals with more and more put on our plate. Heal first and then go back stronger. Your kids will be there for you when you return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM

I would love to hear stories about everyone's first week back. I go back Monday the 7th and am excited and scared!
Unread 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Hi Teachers! Well, I went back to work yesterday. I didn't sleep well the night before. Just too excited I guess. It was nice to be back. I miss the kids. They are fun. I tried to relax last night but didn't do very well. Today I came home and I am really sore and VERY tired so I am going to take it easy tonight and tomorrow cause Mondays coming quick! Anyone else go back yet? I had really hoped that I wouldn't be so sore. I hope this is normal..... I thought I would be better in six weeks. Reading this site, though, I guess it will maybe be a while.
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:21 PM

A dear friend of mine returned to her Grade 3 class a full 8 weeks after her TAH/BSO and was wiped right out after day one. It took her some time to build up her stamina - I'm going back on the 14th and will see if full days will be do-able!
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:51 AM

WOW!! I have my 1st check-up, on the 16th and was thinking I'd go back after about 5 1/2 weeks [TAH..(SAH?)..kept Ovaries and Cervix], but now I'm seriously considering the entire eight weeks...or 6-7 at LEAST!
I have the sick days, fully paid, but I worry I will be screwing up my kids' State test Scores!! MAN!! What a choice!! I know EVERYONE'S now deciding what to do, since we're all around three weeks.
<br> I know they say TVH and TLH heal faster, but I don't see how? Aside from the external incision, we've ALL been cut, inside, in the same way,. We've all had everything moved about, in the same way. We all have hundreds of internal stitches.....EVERY hysterectomy patient should have the same time off and the same pampering at home, in my opinion. (TVH's and TLH's, am I incorrect in my assumptions??)
J
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Roserita,

I know how you are feeling! I teach 5th grade and dearly love teaching and all of my students. I had a TVH with bladder repair, and anterior and posterior repair done on 19th of December. Doctor won't release me to return to school until he sees me on the 30 of January. I am a very active person, so I thought that I would just bounce back asap. Silly me- it just hasn't happened!! I am about 2 weeks post-op and still sore, and still have a catheter in due to bladder complications.

I feel a little guilty about not being at school- I'm also working on my masters as well- but, I have plenty of sick days, and I also have a supplemental insurance policy (Long term disablitity) that will pay me 90% of my salary. I have arranged for a great certified sub- so I'm not really worried about my students because she will actually teach (I teach social studies only) and I have a great team of other 5th grade teachers.

My advice would be to just rest and let your body heal! If you go back too soon, your going to feel terrible and do you want your students to have the terrible feeling teacher or a teacher that is completly healed and ready to teach again!!

I hope you and everyone else feels better soon!
Ginger
Unread 01-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Thank you, Ginger!!
I'm three weeks out and am starting to feel a bit MORE sore than a few days ago, so I can see what trying to get back into the swing of things, too soon, can do.
I think I NEED to be convinced and you helped with that a LOT!!
Feel better, soon!!
Let me know when the "Catheter Removal" party is!! I'm THERE!!..LOLOL (in spirit...I haven't even driven, yet, and my surgery was almost a week before yours.
Jami
Unread 01-06-2008, 12:35 PM

This thread is delightful!! I can't tell you how much it's lifted my spirits today to read all your wonderful stories and to connect with each of you "teacher sisters". I'm sadly depressed today because tomorrow was to be my return to work date and I'd looked forward to it alot. I miss my kids and my teacher friends. I love my job as an Elementary Counselor. I'm also working on another graduate degree in Ed Leadership to become a principal one day. My doctor told me on Friday that I must take another week to get over an infection and to continue the healing process. She really wants me to go back on the 14th and only for half-days that first week. I laughed out loud.....half-days, that'd be great if I could actually manage to walk out of the building at 12 each day, but I seriously doubt that would be possible.
One insight that really helped me as I read your posts was that you all (mostly) have substitutes filling in for you and keeping things going with your students. As a counselor, I don't have a sub......so everything I would be doing is either delegated to a co-worker or piling up in my mailbox or on my desktop. This causes me guilt and dread for what I will be walking into when I do return. I'm very anxious to hear about everyone's return to school and how they handled their fatigue, etc... keep sharing!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register