Post op teachers.....or similar field..... - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op teachers.....or similar field..... Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

Unread 01-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Post op teachers.....or similar field.....

I haven't posted to this thread before but I am also curious to hear how everyone who has gone back is doing. I teach high school English as a Second Language and am not planning on going back until 6 weeks, which will be on February 6th for me. I also feel very guilty leaving my kids for so long, and am very attached to them, but I also want to heal properly. I am worried I won't be ready by then, but don't have to bend over and get on the floor like the elementary teachers do.

My kids had a three week winter break, so they only started back last Tuesday, but I have already gotten many emails from them asking me when I am coming back. How sweet, but made me feel so guilty! I had a TAH, and developed an infection with a fever last week, so going back earlier isn't an option. How are those of you who went back at 6 weeks doing? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 05:13 AM

I haven't read through every post here but just wanted to let you know my experiences. I was lucky enough to take 12 weeks- maximum available to me here in UK. the dr said if I taught older children, I could have gone back earlier. My class were 6-7 year olds. It was hard to remember, even after 12 weeks, all the rules. Children are so demanding, even though I got them to do the fetching/ carrying etc that they could manage, and of course your own mind is on the actual teaching process with all the multi tasking that demands. I forgot very early and lifted a heavy folder from the floor! Luckily to no ill effect but imagine if that had been earlier in the healing. My advice would be, however guilty you feel, to take the longest you can or can afford to take. You will be a more effective teacher for it when you do return and won't risk having to take further time off. In the long run this is better for the children.
Good luck everyone.
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM

I teach middle-schoolers and had hoped to go back after about 3 1/2 weeks. (My Dr. just smiled and shook his head, "nope."
I realized that wasn't going to happen, so figured 6 weeks.
After reading all of the posts and hearing what could happen, I am going the full 8 weeks.
I have a strong substitute, whom the kids know, and have plenty of sick days, so I'm fine to stay out longer.
I still do all of the grading, compute the averages, and even make copies of math materials to get to all of the other math teachers in the building, so I'm there in spirit, at least.
I've heard we'll be exhausted when we return. (My Dr. even said I'd be really tired after 8 weeks, so I couldn't picture six.)
The secretary at my building had hers last year and she talked me into taking 8 weeks, because of the type of job. (That's what she needed.)
I'm starting back on a Friday, to ease myself into it.
I think all of the teachers who used to post all of the time are back and by the time they get home, are possibly too tired to type.

I miss them, too!!

Jami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM

I went back to work on January 15 and did wonderful! I have more energy now that I did before the hyst. I don;t know if that is because I was so anemic or what! I also became a gym freak....I am working out 5 days a week, cardio 45 minutes....on other days, resistence weights and then 25 of cardio! I loved seeing my kids!
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snajschro
How is everybody doing back at work? You haven't posted for a while, and I'm worried about you!!!

I'm so glad you posted - I was wondering how all my sisters in the teaching field were doing.

I went back this past week (8 full weeks post-op) but only for the mornings - and by noon it seemed like quite enough. I was a little stiff in the tummy and had a nap when I got home. It was good to get back into the routine like this and getting out of bed at a regular time wasn't as bad as I thought it might be!

I head back full time this week - might need to be in bed by 8!! I do notice just how much bending and stooping I do throughout the day!!

How's everyone else doing?

Tracy
Unread 01-20-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherangel
I went back to work on January 15 and did wonderful! I have more energy now that I did before the hyst. I don;t know if that is because I was so anemic or what! I also became a gym freak....I am working out 5 days a week, cardio 45 minutes....on other days, resistence weights and then 25 of cardio! I loved seeing my kids!
A TRUE Happy Ending!!
I am SO HAPPY for you!!
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM

I went back at 5 weeks by choice and doc said okay. The middle of the first week was hard (sore and tired) but by Thursday and Friday I felt great. I just completed my 2nd week and felt as good if not better than before surgery.

I think that whether you stay out 5 weeks, 8 weeks or even 12 weeks, the first week back will be hard. Your body has to readjust to the physical and mental "workout" of teaching.

Good luck to everyone and I hope going back is as good for you as it was for me!
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:27 AM

I am back now after my first full week last week. Other than my little insomnia episode things went well going back. It took me a good week to feel "ok". Last week I even had a few days where I felt better than I had in months! I was very excited. Then Friday....I got sick with some chest junk. Sigh......going to the doctor today to see if I need antibiotics or just have to wait it out. again....sigh.....and cough.cough....
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM

OK I am not a Teacher but I do bring those little darlings to you I am the bus driver. I told my DR I thoght 4 weeks would be plenty all I do is drive right? He told me to tale a look at what I actually do. I pre=trip a bus pull open the engine compartment check oil check the tires walk the bus 20 times a day aswell as sweeping. He said no way 6 weeks I could not imagine being a teacher and having to chase those students round all dayagain I am lucky I have FMLA and short term disability so I am getting 90% pay better to wait then go back too early I finally decided as much as my kids want me back thier parents dont deserve a hurting emotional wreck taking thier children to school .
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkhill
OK I am not a Teacher but I do bring those little darlings to you I am the bus driver.
That is DEFINITELY a "Similar Field"!!
Your job is a tough one...lots of steps, all day, and those bus steps are very high up.
It's emotionally stressful, too...to maintain control over a bus-load of children, while they are BEHIND you!! (I couldn't do it!!)
I'm glad your Dr. is encouraging you to take longer.

I was hoping for 3 1/2 weeks....my Dr. just looked at me, knowing better...he has me out the full 8 weeks.

I'm glad you're giving yourself a little more time to heal.
Jami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register