Abdominal Muscle Excercises | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Muscle Excercises Abdominal Muscle Excercises

Unread 12-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Abdominal Muscle Excercises

Hi Sisters,
When I left the hospital, I received some instructions regarding mental and physical health.
One of the intructions was for abdominal muscle exercises, which said the physiotherapist (which I never saw), or nursing staff, would inform you when you were able to start these exercise. I was not told, and wondered if any of you lovely ladies could give me a time frame for starting these.
The excercises are 'Straight Curl-up', 'Diagonal Curl-Up' and 'Side Slides'. :wowee:
I am thinking these are not appropriate exercises for someone who is only 2 weeks post-op, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for any input.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 02:49 AM

NO WAY!!!! Your muscles are all amuck right now.. They dont even know what theyre doing much less what to do if you slip in muscle straining on top of that. After my last c-section, about a week after, I started crunches. Small but effective. My muscles didnt know what to do so soon and now I am left with dead muscles in my lower abs. They just flop around. I can pump out so sit-ups when Im in full health but my "pouch" will never go away now without surgery because I started to soon. Id wait the typical 6-8 weeks just to make sure. BUT, I have found that stretching not only feels EXCELLENT gut can help adjust the muscles and keep them strong. Itwill also get them ready for excersise when the time comes.... Easy does it,ok.
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Thanks TamaraJo, I had a feeling it wasn't suitable. Everytime I look at those exercises, I think; "Hang on a minute, I am only just permitted to drive, I am not allowed to bend to pick up washing and put in the washing machine, etc, because I might pop stitches / hurt myself; and they want me to do THOSE?!!"
I think I will wait until my 6 week check to get my doctor's permission.
Thanks again. I hope you are beginning to feel better, after your fall. Take care.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM

I need some exercises too. The main reason I fell off the chair on Thanksgiving and hit my head on the floor was because I had no stomach muscles to pull myself up once I made it onto the chair. That was not the moment to discover that.
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Lie on your back, feet on floor and knees to ceiling. Hold your stomach in...pull bellybutton to your spine. squeezing the left glute, slowly straighten the right leg so it remains close to the floor and bring back to starting position. then do the other side. this works the stomach and glutes.
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticTigeress
I need some exercises too. The main reason I fell off the chair on Thanksgiving and hit my head on the floor was because I had no stomach muscles to pull myself up once I made it onto the chair. That was not the moment to discover that.
CelticTigeress!!! Oh my! Definitely not the time to discover abdominal weakness! I hope you are ok and getting plenty of rest. Did you see your doctor?
I need some exercise, as I have rediscovered food, and am fearful this, along with my comparative inactivity, could have a detrimental effect on my waistline.
Take care.

Snowflake
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomar
Lie on your back, feet on floor and knees to ceiling. Hold your stomach in...pull bellybutton to your spine. squeezing the left glute, slowly straighten the right leg so it remains close to the floor and bring back to starting position. then do the other side. this works the stomach and glutes.
Thanks anomar! I will definitely give this exercise a whirl!
I had started walking and exercising before my operation; nothing excessivie, just to build my fitness levels before my operation. Due to pain, I have not walked nearly as much as I had hoped. I also had taken to solitary drives and walking when I reached a certain destination, and have found it frustrating that I have not been able to do this. Even though I can drive again, I am not sure I am up to both the driving AND the walking, as I drive quite a way to walk. I get sore and tired just from driving relatively short distances, at the moment.
Thanks again.

Snowflake
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM

ANOMAR has the right idea. That is a small exersise and it icludes stretching. Believe it or not but stretching does strengthen the body and lubercates the joints. Besides the fact that it feels OH SOOOOO GOOOOD ON YOUR TUMMY. Look at yogs addicts.Lean, strong, and flexible, FROM JUST STRETCHING...... How do they do it.. But I do know its good for you. My 1st real stretch after surgery was almost orgasmic,lol.... Now I do it all the time, hanging on door jams, rolling slowly onto my tummy, and even lying on my side and bending my back backwards in a LARGE stretch and squeezing my BUTT. That feels good to. take it easy,ok.
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
My 1st real stretch after surgery was almost orgasmic,lol.... Now I do it all the time, hanging on door jams, rolling slowly onto my tummy, and even lying on my side and bending my back backwards in a LARGE stretch and squeezing my BUTT. That feels good to.
LOL TamaraJo!!! The mental imagery!!!
I will start stretching right away...orgasmic you say??? That should be great for toning up those internal muscles, right???
Actually, now I think abut it, my first few days in hospital, I used to stretch my back out because of excruciating pain, and that did feel good!
Thanks for the tips / advice, I really appreciate it.

Snowflake
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:27 PM

Oh my goodness! Ladies, I went to the hospital today, and went back to the ward I was on, as they said come in anytime, if I had questions. Well, I asked about the exercises, and the nursing Sister told me those exercises were fine to do now! I told her I had not commenced these exercises because I had pain in my lower back, hip and thigh, and she said that I should see my physio before commencing these, and that they would show me the best way to do the exercises for my particular situation; so now I guess I have to find myself a physio! I think I will stick to the exercises recommended by you lovely ladies, until after Christmas.
Take care ladies, and don't forget..."When in doubt, check it out!"

Snowflake

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register