5 months post op and feel blah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 months post op and feel blah 5 months post op and feel blah

Unread 12-18-2007, 08:53 AM
5 months post op and feel blah

I had TAH in July and some days I still feel like a truck ran over me. I really have not been able to resume full activity and on days when I do have the energy and work out, the next day I feel like I hit the mac truck again. When I travel (which I have to for work) I swell so much and have potty issues if you catch my drift and even sometime when I am at home I still have potty issues either not being able to go or going alot.
I don't even know what to do anymore to try and help myself feel better. I want to feel better

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Hi Stefanari,

I relate to what you are saying totally. About every 3 days I am sleeping about 10 hours. My stamina is improving but every time I do something " extra" I really feel it. My ab muscles feel as if I have done 1000 sit ups. My body is healing at a slower rate than others, but I try to stay grateful because I know that there are others on this site still facing mountains. We both had TAH's and I am well into my 40's. I have talked to some sisters who say it really does take a year. I want to feel better too. I am sending you hugs and healing.

Kelli
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:00 AM

Thanks Kelli. I know it is going to take time I just wish it would move a little faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 10:04 AM

Stefanari

You are not alone, its been 3mos for me and I feel the same way. I started a work out class and I don't care what I do I still feel tired and wore out. I keep taking the class because I want to feel better about myself weight wise and I can stand to loose some pounds. My stomach still looks swollen and fat. To top it off I'm still very gassy and not regular (sorry tmi). I still can't wear pants that zip its all about the elastic for me. I keep telling myself that it takes 6mos- year for all to be right but I'm starting to think I'm stuck with this fat stomach and not being able to have the big O (sorry tmi again) but that is bothering me also. I kept my ovaries and I'm having every symptom you can imagine from flashes to night sweats when will it start to change? Thanks for listening ladies. I needed to let that out.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:45 AM

I am a little over a month post op, and I still feel blah. I had no idea that this surgery would take sooo long for me to recover from it.

I am off work until next month. There was just no way for me to fight going back to work so soon following surgery. There is just no way I could do my work with how I am feeling right now. I can barely find a chair to sit in for more than 5 min at a time. I cannot imagine taking off my heels, and putting on my tennis shoes to run for the bus as I am now. My incision is still open, infected and oozing in 4 areas, I am so swollen I mainly wear my night gowns and robes, and I won't even go into my level of pain I still have. I tried to put on one of my work suits...everything fit but my skirt. I could not even zip it up because I was just that swollen.

I am trying to walk more, go to the store with my dh, and do some light housekeeping. Even with those things...I am totally exhausted and wiped out physically.

I just cannot believe that some women have had the audacity to tell me that something is wrong with me for taking so long to heal, and bounce back from this. But then again, these are the ones who have told me this never had any female issues/problems.

This has been a learning experience for both my dh and myself.
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM

I am 4 1/2 months and still in pain. My doc thinks that it is my nerves...I was in so much pain for so long that my nerves are not settling down. I think it is also that I have just not fully healed yet. It really does take 6 months to a year. She has me on a very low dose antidepressant for the pain. I just hope it helps. My sister had this done and was not in much pain after and now I realize it's because she was not in pain beforehand...she had heavy bleeding but not cramping. We just need to hang in there a little longer!
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:45 PM

did you keep your ovaries? if so, maybe they arent working at 100% and you could use some hrt. if you didnt keep them, you might need your hrt adjusted or need to start some.
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Feeling blah and thankful

Hi Sisters!

I am 11 days post op, TAH BSO. The last few days have been a true struggle. As stated by others, trying to squeeze back into "regular" clothes/suits is disheartening.

As I read posts, I find myself feeling a bit lost because I'm trying to reassure my DH that things will be okay. As a contract employee, I am not eligible for disabillity benefits or have vacation benefits. I run the risk of losing my current job if I don't return by 1/3/08, which is 2 weeks before the standard 6 week recovery.

I'm "driven, Type "A", control freak", pick one, any one. I'm realizing that I can't control many of the things that are happening. This has humbled me to a point that I can't describe.

I'm SO thankful that with the uterus and ovaries, everything is gone and I am healthy. I realize that "healthy" is subjective. There are so many out there that are struggling with greater struggles.

I want to say to them that while I don't know your names, or have seen your faces, I pray for you all and for your healing. I would ask that we pray for each other, no matter the struggle.

Blessings,
MM
41y/o
TAH BSO 12/7/07
Unread 12-18-2007, 04:04 PM

I know I have not fully healed yet. When I rub my hands across my stomach I feel the tender areas. When I wear high heels and stand on my feet for an hour my incision area aches. When I vacuum the entire house my incision area will ache. When I pull out the heavy trash cans to the curb my incision aches. I have stopped comparing my recovery because it was counterproductive to do so. I may not be doing pilates for a year. My swelly belly has gotton much better, but my stomach is still bigger than before. My DH is wonderful but still wonders about our intimate life. I am not fully there yet either. I am still amazed about the fatigue, but I just do my best and move forward. I never concieved the impact of this surgery, but it was the first surgery of my life. Thank-you for this thread today. I needed to feel all of this.

Kelli
Unread 12-18-2007, 04:10 PM
4 months post op - feeling the same way

Hey gals, just wanted to weigh in with my two cents. I will be at 18 weeks this week and feeling similar to what all of you are describing. If I get sick with a cold or stressed out from doing too much, recovering seems to take twice as long. I am still sore on the right side and have the swelly belly, etc... Pain isn't really too bad, but the nerve pain can be sharp enough to make you say "Ow" out loud. I thought I was just hormonal, as I have been having crying episodes for the last 3-4 weeks, then found out my blood pressure was very high. So, am on my second trial of medication for that, and am finally feeling more stable emotionally and physically. I have one ovary left, and am not taking any HRT. I was also in pain for a very long time prior to surgery, so I realize that this is not a quick process. Sleeping all night really helps, and taking breaks from work, naps on weekends, etc. Also, you need to forgive yourself for being absent-minded, snapping at your significant other, family, etc...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register