Concerns that you had @ your 2 week post-op (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerns that you had @ your 2 week post-op (update) Concerns that you had @ your 2 week post-op (update)

Unread 12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Concerns that you had @ your 2 week post-op

My 2 week post-op is tomorrow, and I'm starting my list of questions now. Was just wondering if anyone would share some of the concerns that they asked about.

I'm very thorough with my lists of questions (according to my own doctor) - so I want to make sure that I don't overlook anything that might be important!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Concerns that you had @ your 2 week post-op (update)

Hey! My surgery date was Dec. 4 also. I don't get to see the doc until the 28th so I'm a little jealous. Here is the list I have going so far:

1. When can I have a bath rather than a shower? (His answer better be ASAP)
2. When can I vacuum, sweep etc.?
3. How are the pathology reports?
4. When can I go back to work? (I teach and I'm hoping for Jan. 7 when the next semester begins)
5. How long will this discharge last?
6. Why does my arm the IV was in still hurt when I reach, stretch etc.?
7. When will all the surgical glue be gone from my outside incisions?
8. When can I start abdominal exercises?

I would love to see your list too!
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:13 AM

I kept having problems with bleeding, so ask when you should expect to have any bleeding (stitches dissolving). That's usually around the 2-3 week mark. However, I kept on bleeding, so they had to use silver nitrate to stop it. Also, alot of women ask their doctor if it's okay to have an orgasm (not intercourse, but an orgasm You also may want to ask how often to come for your physicals now, since they no longer have to do pap smears. I can't really think of much else! Hope your visit goes well!
~Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 10:27 AM

I asked if my ying yang would open up....when having sex! LOL!

I was told I could bathe now.....path report came back good, I could do house work, vacuum but to stop if it was painful or tired.....no abdominal exersice until 6 weeks for me!
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroutwoman
Hey! My surgery date was Dec. 4 also. I don't get to see the doc until the 28th so I'm a little jealous. Here is the list I have going so far:

1. When can I have a bath rather than a shower? (His answer better be ASAP)
2. When can I vacuum, sweep etc.?
3. How are the pathology reports?
4. When can I go back to work? (I teach and I'm hoping for Jan. 7 when the next semester begins)
5. How long will this discharge last?
6. Why does my arm the IV was in still hurt when I reach, stretch etc.?
7. When will all the surgical glue be gone from my outside incisions?
8. When can I start abdominal exercises?

I would love to see your list too!
Yay! Another date buddy!

I'm still compiling my own, but I'll post it all once I have it. Some of yours do match some of mine. I'm a big bath fan, too. Wondering about my path reports and getting a copy. Going to have to discuss early return to work (argh). Asking about the discharge... how long til visible stitches in my incision should disappear. Then I have this breast cyst thing that she has to check out. Also need to talk about my hot flashes, insomnia (this is a BIGGIE), headaches, and itchiness and how to counteract them further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn0707
I kept having problems with bleeding, so ask when you should expect to have any bleeding (stitches dissolving). That's usually around the 2-3 week mark. However, I kept on bleeding, so they had to use silver nitrate to stop it. Also, alot of women ask their doctor if it's okay to have an orgasm (not intercourse, but an orgasm You also may want to ask how often to come for your physicals now, since they no longer have to do pap smears. I can't really think of much else! Hope your visit goes well!
~Jenn
Yep, I'm bleeding already... more heavily when I stand (just got out of the shower, and had a mess). Last night it was brown with a pretty good tinge of red to it, today it's more pinkish beige. Haven't seen any actual stitches, though. I do want to ask about the cramping that I've been having along with it, though. Feels like bad menstrual cramps, and my Darvocet doesn't really cut it.

Not in too huge of a hurry re: sex, or even orgasm. Uh-oh, libido isn't quite right, and I kept 1 ovary.

Oh yes, definitely wanted to ask about annuals... I know there are some doctors that still pap the cuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherangel
I asked if my ying yang would open up....when having sex! LOL!

I was told I could bathe now.....path report came back good, I could do house work, vacuum but to stop if it was painful or tired.....no abdominal exersice until 6 weeks for me!
Yikes, I don't want to think about that! Yippee on the bathing! I suppose that's all dependant upon how well healing seems to be going, though.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM

Tam, I also had cramping w/ the bleeding. He said that the 2 didn't seem to be associated. He said the cramping was just everything trying to heal up, & also that I may be doing too much too soon. The bleeding pretty much stopped immediately after the silver nitrate. I bled from postop weeks 2-4 (3 weeks altogether).
~Jenn
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks Jenn, that's useful info!
Unread 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Thank you everyone, all of these questions are sooo helpful as I prepare for my Friday morning 2 week post op appt. I also want to ask about a realistic return to work date based on my specific job description. So, I've started a list of my everyday activities at work to give my doctor some idea how to help me make this very important decision. Once I'm back to work there is no "do over". I'm out of sick leave and my disability will end. My career is at a crucial point.....I'm working hard to finish my second masters and to have more "upward" opportunities in my school district. I feel like I've lost a lot of ground this year. Thanks for all the support I get here.
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:25 PM

Glad we all could help!

I'm still trying to think of some more. And....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :

(It'll be my turn on Friday)
Unread 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Wish I had thought of some of these great questions when I had my 2-week checkup yesterday! Here's a recap of my visit (posted on another thread yesterday):

I was a little surprised and wary to learn that I'd be having an internal exam. It was ok -- really -- not painful, and the doctor was able to see the stitches. They're not completely healed (no surprise there), and the doctor said to expect that some of the self-disolving stitches might still be expelled through the vagina. She said they're soft and won't hurt or poke.

I asked about exercise and she said walking up to 1/2 hour is ok for now (I'm already doing that and more).

I also asked about hormones (I'm taking Estradiol) and she said to continue for the next 6 weeks and then we'll discuss it. She's completely opposed to progestin (Prometrium) for any woman without a uterus (that would include me) and will not prescribe it. I said that many women seem to be taking it post-op, but she said there was no reason for it and it could compromise the liver. I don't know what to think. What have others been told?

I also saw photos that were taken inside via laproscope, and they were amazing! I saw the uterus, ovaries, tubes and even my liver! All in vivid color.

The pathology report was also interesting and I got a copy for my own files. It discussed the fibroids, lots of cysts throughout (which I could partly see in the photo) and also revealed extensive adenomyosis (which hadn't been suspected). But for me, this was a very positive pathology report and put to rest fears of ovarian cancer, for which I have a family history.

I asked about insomnia, which is a big problem for me. I've put myself on sort of a three day cycle of alternating Ambien, Benedril and nothing (that's my sleepless night). But I can't go on this way forever. The doctor recommended planning for a block of time, a week or two, of using nothing at all -- and to see if I can get into a regular sleeping cycle again. Hmm. Easy to say...

So I'll have another follow-up in four weeks, after which I expect to get the go-ahead to resume all normal activity.

Good luck to all...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register