Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

[font=Arial]
  Quote:
Originally Posted by SundaySchoolTea
I was once a teacher, and had to retire on disability several years ago. I am now a one-on-one aide to a special needs girl, but I usually end up helping the whole class! I work about six blocks from home, so a lot of the kids live in my neighborhood. My student has stopped by several times on her way home with pictures and notes from the rest of the class, and the teacher and I have been emailing and calling each other. When she told me about the Christmas program and upcoming party, I almost cried, but I stayed brave in front of her. The teacher and I were friends in college, so it has been easy to keep up with what has been going on. I also teach Sunday School, so it has been doubly hard, missing my little primary class, and knowing for a fact that my replacement is not doing as thorough or as creative a job as I do with the "babies".(At least that's what I've been told).Being the Christmas season, I also have a hard time dealing with the fact that I can't help my aunt with the preparations for our family Christmas Day gathering. I usually do 50% of the housework, but I am under orders to do no lifting or bending until my 6 week checkup in January (LAH and gallbladder removal on 11/26).I have been doing tiny things like wrapping gifts and addressing cards
as well as ironing and washing clothes and washing small loads of dishes. I just can't wait until I'm back to normal!!! Any clues out there when that could be? Next month????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:20 PM

I am a teacher, but I advise homeschool students. So, I work mostly from home. I make home visits 1-2 times each month. I have been receiving cards from my students. I did get a sweet call from a mom when I was about 1 1/2 weeks post-op. Her 11 year old had wanted to see my SO bad when I was in the hospital. She had bugged her mom continually until she said she'd call me and ask if she could visit me at home! It's kind of a no-no, but I did let her come see me for a few minutes. Gosh, I miss them!

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11/26/07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Unread 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Well gals - went for the lunch and my principal announced in the gym that I was back for a visit and wow - the cheers from the kids!! Emotional for me!! So glad I went - had to show kids how to hug me on the side and was happy to see my staff as well.
I go back to work Jan 14 and will see if it's full or 1/2 time - my body is the boss of me now.
Happy Holidays my friends,
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Hi Sisters
I too am a teacher. I teach pre-k for LAUSD. I have to say that I was quite nervous about my surgery and couldn't wait to get it overwith. I miss my little ones but I am enjoying the much needed break. We only get one week at Christmas and major holidays off, so we get pretty burn't. I am looking forward to being relaxed and ready to enjoy them again after my recovery.
Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:15 AM

I am an elementary school counselor for a school of 500 PK-5th graders. I haven't been back, due to disability issues and my over-riding fear that once they see me, they will think I'm well again! My principal has not been very supportive and that has made me sad. I am really missing the kids!!! My fellow teachers have been wonderful to call and send cards, etc. One special friend even helped me do "secret Santa" from afar. I hate missing the most wonderful time of year on my job~ why couldn't my surgery have been planned for Testing Time??? Oh well, I'm hoping to go back by Jan.10th, but my doctor will be the one to make that decision.
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:35 AM

I've been out 8 weeks due to a complication. Doctor let me go in for a short visit during their Holiday party and last day of school. They were very excited to see me as I was them. Unfortunately I also found it DEPRESSING! My room was a mess! It will take me weeks to find things when I get back after the hoilday. I could not even walk behind my desk because of the junk everywhere! The sub had stacks of papers she asked me to correct as she hadn't got to them. I said, "No!" She could do them over the holiday and get me the grades. You all know how difficult it can be to grade an elementary asignment when you were not there for the details of the lesson. I did take home their math test to grade. I also took all my lesson books home so I can plan for the first week back. Hopefully this will allow me time to clean before school the first day. The engineer and principal saw my distress as I was leaving. They offered to come in early so I can get a jump start on it. I knew this sub and never expected this. I can't wait to see what kind of grades she kept.

Deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths! Everyone keeps telling me to try and put it out of my mind for the holiday... yeah right!

Anyone else concerned about what they are going back to?
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM

Tiggerlt,
I'm so sorry! When I went back in my classroom it didn't quite seem like mine anymore. I felt very strange with someone else's stacks etc. all over my desk. We'll have to all keep in touch when we do go back and let everyone know how it is going.
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM

I'd like that Stroutwoman. I'm getting a little overwhelmed thinking about making up conferences before and after school as well as getting back in the swing of things. I will also have to get a report card out for a cardmarking I was gone for 8 weeks out of the 10. Just Nerves/hormones I guess.
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Wow! I feel your stress as I read your post. You can only hope for the best as far as the grades and graded assignments are concerned. I would certainly be very concerned about giving the students the benefit of the doubt if the record keeping seems awry. The sub certainly doesn't have to face up to the parents or students once she has left the building and those report cards have gone out. I don't envy your task for the new year. But, I do know there is nothing can be done about it just now~ so I'll add my voice to the rest and suggest you try not to let it ruin your holiday. You are in my prayers~
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM

I had my procedure Tues. (LSCH), school was out Wed. for holidays, so I haven't seen any of my students. But my daughter goes to the same school and some of them had asked about me. Some of them also go to my church, so they've asked about me there as well. I do miss them , but I'm enjoying this time to myself with my family. Since my recovery is going so well so far, I should be ready to go back to school when they do on the 7th of Jan.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register