Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

Unread 12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

support needed,
I plan to go back on the 7th also but my surgery was the 4th. Do you really think you'll be ready?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 08:51 AM

Well, since my surgery was laproscopic (sorry, can't spell medical terms worth beans!) and I kept my ovaries and cervix, the expected recovery time is 2 weeks. I was concerned about that short time myself at first. But now, post-op, I realize how GREAT I feel. I'm truly amazed!!!! My only issue is fatigue, so I am still concerned about that. We went to a new 8 period day this year (had 7 last year), so even though the day is only 20 min. longer, it's MUCH more hectic and stressful, so I am kinda wondering if I'll make it to the end of the day w/o just falling out. It was hard enough to make it to 8th period BEFORE the surgery.......of course, at that time, I was suffering all the mess that caused me to need surgery in the 1st place, so it may be a toss up. I have my post-op appt. w/my dr. on the 27th, so I guess we'll see at that time how I'm doing. Thanks for your concern!

And tigger, I know how frustrating it must have been to see everything in such shambles!!!! My advice would be give the students every shadow of doubt possible. I've had to remind myself over and over and over again (thru many years of teaching) that the kids will rise above my mistakes, and in this case, the mistakes of your sub. I can't believe she seriously expected you to grade papers!!!!! Get real!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!!!! I'm gonna try to get dressed and go for a short walk today, maybe 10 min. or so. Need some fresh air. Although I didn't sleep well at ALL last night so now I'm all foggy today.
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:55 AM

I teach English and tutor writing at a community college. Of course, I wouldn't expect any students to miss me because one class and they're gone, and I hardly had time with the class from last semester before my surgery leave. But I do form close bonds with my tutoring clients. One evening, a few weeks after my operation, my phone rang at home and it was a call from an African lady I've helped at the Writing Center. She's trying to get through nursing school and both speaking and writing English are difficult for her, especially writing because it's so much harder to write English properly than to speak it, and often it seems like the two languages are completely different from each other. Anyway, she called and was very concerned that she hadn't seen me around the Writing Center for a long time. Had I quit? I couldn't do that! She said that too many people needed me, especially she, that I was too good a tutor not to be helping people, and that she didn't want to work with anyone else because I am the only one who can calm her down and explain things to her...she was really panicked at the thought of me not working at the WC any longer. I explained to her about the operation and that I'll be back in the spring. She felt so relieved, and she told me that if I needed help with anything all I had to do was call her and she gave me her number. The whole experience made me feel so good! There's little more gratifying than to know you have truly helped someone with an important part of her life: a term paper, a scholarship application, a good resume' and cover letter, or simply made her understand something she couldn't get before...it's the same thing I feel here when I can give some advice or relate an experience I've had that helps another woman going through what I've already been through. That's why teachers teach, tutors tutor, and we come to Hyster Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Celtic Tigeress,
I loved your story! It is so nice to feel needed, appreciated and loved. I know we will all be glad to get back to our jobs and students, no matter what their ages.
Unread 12-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Teacher too!

I had surgery on Tuesday and our last day before Christmas Break was the coming Friday. I missed my students so much-I gave them all candy canes before my surgery. I called each class on Friday and they were so glad to hear from me. I was able to hear all about their reading accomplishments(I am a Read 180 teacher). Then my sub called later in the day and asked if she could bring by the cards students made. It was so neat to see their heartfelt cards. It really helps the healing process.

God bless our students!!!
Unread 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Celtic Tigress, I'm so glad to hear that your student was so concerned about you..that's very sweet. I wish all students were that motivated to learn and succeed!

I'm kinda actually having a rough year this year w/so many UNmotivated students. I teach 8th grade math.....NOBODY'S favorite subject....ha! But I've never had this many students before who just don't care!

To be perfectly honest, I'm not looking forward to going back. I'm hoping that between now and the 7th, I have a complete turnaround in my attitude for their sakes.
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:00 AM

Supportneeded:

I do know how you feel. My tutoring students are wonderful, but the majority of college students I've taught couldn't care less whether they're in my class or not. On the first day of a new semester I always have them write a paragraph on why they took my class; "Because I have to to graduate" is in about 90% of the responses. I like to know what I'm dealing with for the semester. With those students I try extra hard to interest them and get them involved, and I have some success, but I know that some of them will not lift a finger no matter what I do. When I've given them my best I figure that's their problem, not mine. I think that's what we all have to do to stay sane.

Young people these days just don't get the fact that in college (or 8th grade) what they do matters for the rest of their lives. That's why I love having adult students in my classes. They're motivated, not just there because they don't want to get a job and Mommy and Daddy said it's either college or "Do you want fries with that?". The adults get it. If not for them I might get so discouraged I'd quit teaching.

Hang in there, Sweetie. You are helping some of them, even if they don't show it.
Unread 12-24-2007, 03:04 PM

That was very sweet, Celtic Tigress. Teaching is in my blood; no matter what else I've ever tried to do, I always end up back in the classroom. It's just frustrating when they truly don't care if they pass or not! That completely blows my mind!!!!! I'm like you, I've always found a way to "get through" to the toughies (either the ones who didn't care or were so far behind in their skills, they felt hopeless), but for the 1st time this year, I've got a few that I've just about given up on, and I can't even believe I'm admitting that.

One of the other teachers at our school quit at semester end to work w/adults at the local adult educ. center. She's looking forward to it VERY MUCH for the reasons you mentioned. They're there because they WANT to be there.....they're having to arrange for babysitters, work around work schedules, etc. to get their education. Like I said earlier, hopefully by the time break is over, I'll be rejuvenated and ready to go back.
Unread 12-29-2007, 09:23 AM
How long to stay off-teachers-SLP

Well, I guess I had this idea that I would be able to go back to work after a couple weeks. I am a speech pathologist and see kids from 3 years old to 5th grade. I have about 55 kids on my caseload. I have some kids with pretty severe needs and I am worried about their continued care. They have wonderful teachers, I just like being a part of their life. I also am a single mom, don't have the sick time to take, and was curious as to what a realistic time off would be. I had a LAVH, so I know recovery should be somewhat faster. Financially, I am scared, but I also know I could make this worse if I try to go too soon. I have to do a lot of walking, but I know that other staff will help as much as they can, but also knowing that they have their responsibilities. So any advice on how someone felt around 3 weeks would be great.
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Hi, dnl, I'm only a little over 2 weeks post-op, had LSH on 12/18, but it's amazing how much better I feel each day. A week ago, I could not even THINK about going back to work, and even felt that way the better part of this last week. But I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just take it one day at a time. Let your body dictate what you can do that day.

I don't guess y'all have a sub for sp. path, do you?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register