Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students? Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

Unread 12-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Teacher Friends - Have you seen your students?

thanks, I do feel better today than when I wrote the first one. I won't have a sub unless I am out for more than a week, then it will be hit or miss, a part time thing I think. I can see me making it through a bigger portion of the day. I can see that I will be tired when I am done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Realizing the messages your body sends

I spent a couple hours with a girlfriend today. I am only 5 days after surgery. I am so tired and my body hurts. As everyone advises, listen to your body. My visit was more than I could handle. All the moving around-yikes-my abdominal area and lower is talking to me and reminding me to rest. I will put resting back as the priority.
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Well, the vacation is almost over! I go back to work Monday the 7th. I am excited and nervous. It is funny how I missed the kids so badly and now I'm having second thoughts. I know I can handle it. Anyone else going back soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Going Back

My doctor knows my sick time situation and will let me go when I want to, just letting me know I need to be careful. It has only been a week, LAVH, I know I am taking next week, but considering the 14th. I too am scared-seemed to have taken all my energy before.
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:22 PM

I went back to one dr.today(the surgeon-I also
had a gallbladder removed when I had the partial LAH) and he said I can go back to work on Monday. However, I don't see the GYN until next Wednesday, so I'll wait until then to hear what she says. I hope she clears me too.
I can't wait to get back. I'm sooo bored.
I have a question: Is it safe to return to ALL
types of physical activity now? I mean like household work, lifting, outdoor cleaning, etc? Am I considered to be back to normal now that it's been 6 weeks?
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM

[quote=SundaySchoolTea]I went back to one dr.today(the surgeon-I also
had a gallbladder removed when I had the partial LAH) and he said I can go back to work on Monday. However, I don't see the GYN until next Wednesday, so I'll wait until then to hear what she says. I hope she clears me too.
I can't wait to get back. I'm sooo bored.
I have a question: Is it safe to return to ALL
types of physical activity now? I mean like household work, lifting, outdoor cleaning, etc? Am I considered to be back to normal now that it's been 6 weeks? I also work as a 5th grade teacher's aide. Is it OK to resume all of the responsibilities that go with this job?
In particular, I wonder about going up and down stairs several times a day, chasing kids on the playground,
and staying on my feet for long periods of time. Do I just "jump back in" like nothing ever happened?
Also, what do I tell the kids when they ask why I was gone? I know they'll want to know about everything . How much detail do they need to know?
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:44 PM

I was given the go-ahead at my 6 wk check-up today - but to begin doing things slowly. No marathons, vacuum only a couple rooms to start with, lifting laundry but not snow in a shovel! I wouldn't jump back into things like nothing happened - because something quite extraordinary did!!
As for what to say - I told my students that I had surgery to take something out to make me feel better - they seemed satisfied with that so I didn't have to go into detail.
Good luck - take care!
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
What to tell students

SST,
I teach 5th grade also and told them I had a hysterectomy. They of course asked what that was and I told them it was a surgery women sometimes have when they aren't going to have any more babies. They were satisfied with that. Some of them then talked to their parents about it more at home.

Be careful about chasing kids on the playground etc. I am going to try to make myself sit way more than normal. I am also going to have easy dinners ready for the first week back. I plan to come home each day when school is out and rest!

Good luck with your return to work. We'll have to come back to this board and share how we're doing.
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:04 PM

stroutwoman, I'm going back on the 9th. I had a LAVH and kept my ovaries (however, I don't think they know they are supposed to still be working! lol) on the 24th and even though I miss my students, I'm scared to think about having to go full speed so soon. I tell myself that I'm going to take it easy, but I know once I get there, there will just be so much to do. I have Dibels testing to do and report cards, etc. ahhhhhhhhh. scares me just to think about it.
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:29 PM

fibrobabe,
I replied to you on another thread more specifically. What grade do you teach? You will have to make yourself comfortable for the Dibels testing and have the students take turns coming to you. Is there any way you can take more time off?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register