When do internal stitches dissolve? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do internal stitches dissolve? When do internal stitches dissolve?

Unread 12-20-2007, 09:51 PM
When do internal stitches dissolve?

Wondering if any of you passed any stitches or started any bleeding that would indicate your internal stitches were dissolving. Not sure when this is suppose to happen. I'm at 3 wks post-op. Did anyone feel any different sensations or start any spotting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Hi Msdee2,
I had my surgery the same day as you and I have yet to experience any more bleeding since the day after my surgery. I saw my doc for the first time since my surgery on the 18th (tuesday) and he said that most have disolved and that two knots remain which he said I may not even notice when they come out.

He told me I may have some light bleeding when they do come out but not much and any heavy bleeding is not normal to call him.

I wish I could have seen him at a later date but I guess he wanted to make sure everything was going well before then.

Wish I could be more help, since I have been reading the forum I haven't noticed too many post on stitches coming out.
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:34 AM

Msdee2 - My internal staples were still dissolving at my 6 week post op checkup. My gyn pushed back sex for another 2 weeks because of this. At 8 weeks they were finally dissolved but then I had some granulation on my vaginal cuff (scar tissue) she had to take care (she put silver nitrate on it). This took another 2 weeks to heal but I think I'm finally on the road back to being normal. PS I only had a little brown spotting when the staples started dissolving. After and before this I haven't had any bleeding or spotting. Woo Hoo!!! It's weird because I still check to see if there is anything there when I go the bathroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 05:57 AM

I didn't have spotting or notice any stitches coming out, but my doctor said everything was fine at my six week checkup.
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Gee, I can identify with the checking. that might go on forever. ha ha I read something that at some point, we may not think about the surgery everyday.

I've seen a few things that looked like stitches. I really don't know, but I've wondered how many internal stitches were there. I thought I was seeing something like stitches in bowel movements, but that was not part of my surgery. I figured it must be some new grainy cereal I've been eating.

One thing the doc told me at week one or so was that i had 2 internal incisions almost the same size as my external one. All of my stitches were internal. I didn't have any external stitches. At my one week appt, my doc just cut the "tail." I had a 1/2 inch piece that was cut.

At 6 weeks, i wasn't healed and looked "raw." At 7 weeks, all was OK.
Unread 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm at 6-1/2 weeks and still haven't seen any stitches or had any bleeding. I really hope they dissolved at some point, but I'm worried because I never saw anything. My last appointment with my doctor was at 4 weeks and he told me I could resume everything at 6 weeks, but I can't help but wonder if they are still in there.
Unread 12-21-2007, 01:59 PM

My stitches dissolved in about my 4th week. I began (what I thought was heavy bleeding), but my Dr. was not concerned, the next day I saw little brown threads when I went to the bathroom the bleeding stopped. I spotted for about week more and since then nothing.

I am 7 weeks post-op I saw my Dr. today and everything looked good. I can resume all normal activites except intercourse and lifting anything heavier than 50lbs.

Barri
Unread 12-21-2007, 02:35 PM

50 lbs - gee, I don't lift that much anyway.
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:42 PM

I am just over 6 weeks and I saw my first stitch this week. It was a knot and it was gray. Crazy!! I haven't seen any more though but when I had my 6 week my Dr said I was way behind in healing so maybe I'll see more later.

Starbgirl
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:46 PM

maybe that's what i saw tonight. graying, like skin or something with some blush.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register