When do internal stitches dissolve? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do internal stitches dissolve? When do internal stitches dissolve?

Unread 12-22-2007, 11:41 AM
When do internal stitches dissolve?

Woo-hoo, finally saw a stitch today at almost 7 weeks! One little gray stitch. Does that mean it is just now healing? That's concerning. I resumed everything at 6 weeks as per the doctor's instructions, but I wonder if I should have called when I still hadn't seen any stitches at 6 weeks. Oh well, I guess it's too late to worry about that now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Hi everyone. Just reading up about this and Im alittle scared. My doc said if I passed a stitch not to freak -out cuz it may look like a little wormie.Said it was normal. Well, OK? That sounds just to weird.Ick. What is all this about bleeding after the stitches come out. Ive even read that things "DROP"????What DROPS and how. How can you help not let this happen? My 6week check-up is on the 26th and Ive been tring to keep my mouth shut til then cuz Ive been dealing with a god awful yeast infection that has finally decided to go away [knock on wood].....But then I fell,HARD, and I ended up in the E.R. last Saturday.[Im fine] But the doc had a Cat-scan done and he said everything "Looked in place". Is this a good sign? Cuz I gotta tell ya , Im not feeling to well right now. Behind my belly button and downwards is hurting inside and Im wondering if this is a sign of something wrong or of something"dropping".Any advice would help.
Unread 12-22-2007, 05:22 PM

The one stitch I passed was tiny and only looked like a snip of gray string, definitely not wormy. No bleeding at all since the day of surgery, so I'm not sure what to tell you there. I haven't felt anything dropping, but then I've only passed one stitch at almost 7 weeks. I do have the belly button pain, but I hadn't thought about that being a sign of anything dropping. At least you can ask your doctor about these things, my last follow-up was at 4 weeks and I wasn't as concerned as I am now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM

so many possibilities. It seems that we all have so many things in common, but so much can differ.
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM

MsDee, I've been spotting since the 1.5 week point... almost non-stop... and I just hit 3 weeks yesterday. I haven't had any sign of thread from stitches, though. Just a twingey feeling and the need to wear a pantyshield. On a "good" day, my spotting is dark brown... other days, there's definite red blood mixing in.

I keep hearing that the stitches dissolve between the 2nd and the 4th week.
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:54 PM

I had my 6week check-up yesterday and all went GREAT!!!!!! OMG, I was nervous. I didnt want him going in there and break anything. Well , I wrote down a bunch of questions that we all had on alot of the threads including the "drop" thing I was worried about [prolaps?].... I am not to fear . I did not understand that and now I do. I was cleared for sex and now all I need is to find a boyfriend LOL.... All my pain is due to the fall and my surgery is not in any danger That gave me my first good nights sleep last night and I plan to do the same thing tonight. MAKE MYSELF GOT TO SLEEP.!!!!!! And being off the pain meds finally is freeing. My tenderness behind my belly button is due to the fall. I asked him how I could be in so much pain cuz all was going so great til I fell on my knees and side [it was a funny fall off 2 steps outside]. He said my stomach was protecting itself but it all strained in the process I still have to be careful of picking up heavy things and twisting,ect., but he knows of all my kids and gave me the green light on day to day stuff and to exersise alittle. Said if I hurt the next day it was a good sign but if I hurt while doing it,STOP. Sensible!?!!Yes. Im on my way ladies
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:01 PM

OH yeah, if you have kept your ovaries , PMS symptoms are normal and will probably stay with you but he said that the cramping will calm down after the overies get a handle on the fact that theres nothing there. He said it takes awhile,so hang -on if you have trouble with it. And he also said if you do have the symptoms to keep track of them,journal, calender,etc, so you know what to expect. Now that theres no bleeding then it will be easier to track PMS. Good luck all
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM

TAM, its week 6 for me and I still have stitches. My doctor said that they are disolving slowly but all is healed up. Mine are clear and even when he went "in" he couldnt feel them.He said thatones who experience spotting is usually normal but red blood should be looked at if its a concern to you or if it just seems like alittle to much. Take it easy and No over doing it if thats what going on
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:45 PM

assuming all of you had your cervix taken out? im only 6 days out but it was wierd first day after surgery i noticed little stitch looking things in my urine. nurses never saw it cause dh had to empty it and i was half out of it so didnt think much of it. now wondering if it was just dried blood. nothing more though after that first day or so.
all feels ok in there though, maybe a little preasure feeling every now and again. and yikes no one mentioned not doing kegals. its not a good thing.
Unread 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM

At my 2 week check up, my doc told me that I might experience spotting from the stitches dissolving around 4-6 weeks. I haven't had any spotting at all since very early on post-op. It's nice to know if I start spotting again that I shouldn't panic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register