When do internal stitches dissolve? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do internal stitches dissolve? When do internal stitches dissolve?

Unread 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
When do internal stitches dissolve?

had my 4 week today. forgot to ask about stitches - havent seen any yet. I had begun having some rectal presure but found out today it is just normal swelling of the cuff healing. My dr. said everything looked good - just needed the full 6 wks to heal before getting any action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Hi Snowflake.... I had some horrible yeast infections after surgery. They have since gone and in this past week now it has started up again, I THINK? I guess I have to call in. Im hoping that some of my discomfort is cuz of the stitches dissolving. I sure wish Id get some evidence soon
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Snowflake,

Thanks for the exploding description. That is actually how I feel too when I sneeze. I feel more like my parts are in a net, and when I sneeze, I can feel the net straing like it's going to pop. More of a strong tugging and burning thing going on. My doc told me I would feel weird stuff, he's right, it's weird.

He told me that if anything actually popped, I'd be doubled over and have one heck of a time moving. He said this is probably just the usual stiches dissolving. Eek, it sure is painful though, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraJo
Hi Snowflake.... I had some horrible yeast infections after surgery. They have since gone and in this past week now it has started up again, I THINK? I guess I have to call in. Im hoping that some of my discomfort is cuz of the stitches dissolving. I sure wish Id get some evidence soon
Hi TamaraJo,
I hope you are not in for another yeast infection...those things are horrible! Hopefully it is just the stitches disolving. Isn't it funny how everyone is different regarding the stitches? I had read alot of posts on here where people were seeing stitches around the 3 week mark; so was perplexed when nothing happened. It is possible you may be one of the ladies who never see's a stitch.
Personally, I think I would have been disappointed if I didn't, considering all the posts about them...lol...weird thing to be disappointed about, I know.
Whatever happens, I hope you feel better soon.

Snowflake
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtalk
Snowflake,

Thanks for the exploding description. That is actually how I feel too when I sneeze. I feel more like my parts are in a net, and when I sneeze, I can feel the net straing like it's going to pop. More of a strong tugging and burning thing going on. My doc told me I would feel weird stuff, he's right, it's weird.

He told me that if anything actually popped, I'd be doubled over and have one heck of a time moving. He said this is probably just the usual stiches dissolving. Eek, it sure is painful though, isn't it?
Hi jgtalk,
I certainly agree with feeling 'weird stuff'!!!
Several days ago I sneezed, and could not move for about 10 minutes! I thought I was going to pass out with the pain! Thankfully I was sitting down; I would not have liked to be standing up / moving when it happened. It is since then that I have started seeing my stitches, and the burning / irritated feeling started...
Oh the joy. I hope we don't have to put up with that for too much longer!
I hope your healing is progressing ok, otherwise. Take care.

Snowflake
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM

Snowflake,

I was sitting down when I sneezed and had the horrible pain that you described too. What is up with that? We should be able to withstand a SNEEZE.

My impression is that these things soften up, get loose, irritate the surrounding area, then dissolve out. But I can actually feel where he tied the knots, on the sides, and I hope those guys dissolve out soon. I swear he used a whole reel of line in there!

I was told that my cuff was all sealed up already. I don't think my stiches will be coming out down that highway, so I guess they will just bob around in there until they go away. I have huge swelly-belly every night, and a lot of tugging, painful pulling feelings on the sides where the knots are, like the whole thing is strung up and straining. Weird feeling, I hope that goes away! I was given a TAH with a bikini cut across the bottom, then a vertical cut up the middle (under the skin) to the belly button. The vertical one is the worst swelling-tugging one now. I have that burning feeling too, it's the weirdest thing. Feels almost like a razor burn in there or something.

Best of luck to you in your healing too! It looks like you had your share of problems as well! We need a better 2008 my friend!
Unread 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think I would have been disappointed if I didn't, considering all the posts about them...lol...weird thing to be disappointed about, I know.
Actually, that is exactly how I felt. Everyone was talking about spotting and seeing stitches around 2-3 weeks. Three weeks came and went, nothing. I kept waiting and waiting thinking any day now. Then 6 weeks came and went and I was beginning to feel disappointed that that right of passage didn't happen. I also started worrying that something wasn't right since I hadn't seen any stitches. After 8 weeks I figured it wasn't going to happen, and now I'm almost 11 weeks and still nothing. I guess I was one of the lucky ones, but I do feel a little left out.
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi jgtalk,
How are you doing today? The idea of stitches floating around until they dissolve, sounds a tad freaky...lol.
I'm having a bad day today; in fact, I feel more like I did in the first week or two. My bikini region is sooooo sore, and I can't bare the thought of sneezing, coughing or laughing. It is ridiculous!!! To add insult to injury, my other issue (possible bowel problem) is giving me jip. My tummy feels so swollen and tight to the right of my belly button, and when I touch it, I can feel a lump under the surface.
Oh stop grizzling Shari (my real name)...lol...I should be grateful I am not as bad as so many other ladies, but it seems as soon as I try and get back to a more normal existence, everything flares up a little more. I can't wait to find out what my abdo ultrasound finds...my Dr. thinks it is my bowel. Oh joy!
I am sorry to hear you are having such a horrid time also; you make me feel like such a wimp, considering you had a TAH, and I only had a TVH; but I guess, complications are unleasant, regardless of which procedure we had. I am sure we will get there eventually; but until then...
I sure agree, we all deserve a far better 2008!!!
I pray you feel better soon. Take care, Sis.

Snowflake
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM

Awww CAmich, I am so sorry you seem to have missed this right of passage!
I know to those who have not been a part of the wonderful hystersister experience, and the knowledge it imparts; may find such a thing odd, but I know how disappointing it must be for you. Being one of the 'lucky' ones', is a bummer, at times.
Take care, Sis.

Snowflake
Unread 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey There Snowflake!

I am doing so-so today. I have a medical condition that makes me sick and also gives me night sweats. I can't tell if it is that or my hormones, but the ovaries are still there and my doc checked the estrogen, which is fine. I also had some strange pain in the center last night that kept me awake, as well as some nausea this morning. By this afternoon, it cleared up a little and I went shopping (why I don't know, it's only 15 degrees F here in Michigan today!)

I will probably pay for it tonight. I know what you mean, I felt worse yesterday than the early time after surgery, and I was all boo-hoo and crying, etc about it. I also have swelling that comes and goes in weird places, so I look kind of lop-sided. I hope it all evens out, because right now I look kind of weird.

Let me know what your ultrasound shows. I got really concerned that there was something wrong with me, but I had a transvaginal ultrasound last week, and it looked fine in there, and my doc said I am doing nicely. I sure don't feel like it though, everybody else seems to be in better shape. I can't really compare myself though, as I have another medical condition. My doctor also told me part of the problem was that I was thin. He said that if you are heavier, you tend to do a little better with the swelling issues. I don't know about that one!

Anyway, I hear you sis! Hang in there and try to keep your chin up, o.k.? I wish I could give you a Big right now. I will keep you in my prayers, o.k.? We'll get through this little bump in the road together!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register