Bad Dreams | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Bad Dreams

My stay at the "Castle" was really horrible. My DH had to do most of what the nurses were neglecting. I even had to go down the hall to remind the nurse to replace my fluids IV bag after it had been empty for two and a half hours (she finally replaced it while I was standing there infront of the nurses station, and she shot the saline in really fast as if it was a flu shot, causing me to scream and fall - thank goodness she caught me, but OUCH!)

I keep having hospital nightmares of no care, or being lost and not being able to find anyone to help me get to where I need to be.... or having to get a second surgery because they botched up the first one.

Is it common to have bad dreams post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Bad Dreams

I am the queen of post op dreams. I believe some of it is the total shock on our bodies and minds that major surgery can bring one. I was okay in the hospital, but about a week after, while i was recuperating at my mom and dad's, I had a couple of awful dreams that made me not want to go to sleep the next night. I think part of mine was anxiety and part an overload of estrogen since I was on the patch, and the dr. also gave me an estrogen shot. I take a mild sedative right now to help me sleep, but feel I won't need it much longer. I've heard it takes a while for all the anesthesia to get out of your system, and that can produce vivid dreams.
Let me know how you do. It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your dr!
Blessings.
Grace
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Bad Dreams

Pain meds and the residual anesthesia leaving your body can cause you to have really wacky dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Yep, had some pretty wacky dreams

My roommate in the hospital said I whimpered all night the first night and then I was crying in my sleep the second night. She was too. I think it's the strong pain meds. I had some really odd dreams!
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Bad Dreams

I am still having those dreams. Only 5 days post op now. In fact we are having fun discussing how weird some of them were.

You just had a major trauma to your body. Keep an open mind and keep talking about if it helps.

Right after I woke from surgery my niece came in and told me had seen my daughter in a Christmas play as an angel. All that night I had hallucinations of her flying around my hospital room.

I also asked my nurse if I had a boy or a girl. I think I was confused as my two children were born by c section.

I also called my boyfriend the night of my surgery and told him he had to come pick me up long enough so I could cook dinner. Everyone is really joking about that one. lol

Last night I tried to get up around 1 am and bake cookies for Santa.

I would relax and not worry too much about the dreams until you speak to your doctor. If you start having really negative thoughts or start sleep walking then I would definitely get some help fast.

I am so sorry you had the experience you did at the hospital. I would report the incidents you experienced to the patient liaison office at the hospital. Especially the issue with the nurse changing your IV bag so late and in front of the nursed station. That is pure neglect and a violation of your patient privacy rights. If you had fallen and injured yourself then the hospital would be liable.

I work at the hospital where I had my surgery and my experience was wonderful. But I do hear some awful stories. Speak up and you can help someone else from experiencing the same thing you did. I would also let the hospital know about your nightmares. That can be something that can come back on them. How they deal with you following your complaint is going to depend on you recover from this traumatic event.
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Bad Dreams

Several years ago I was given Codine for pain from having my wisdom teeth removed and I suffered from bad dreams and would wake up violently.
They may be bothering you or maybe a combo of things so talk to your DR soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register