A few of my favorite things | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A few of my favorite things A few of my favorite things

Unread 12-21-2007, 08:29 AM
A few of my favorite things

I did some re-arranging before I went to the hospital. I put all my easiest to put on and off clothes and shoes within easy reach.
I went out and got new nighgowns (Ike DH's big ol shirts, but better, hard to find tho) and my mom treated me to a pretty new robe. She loves not seeing me in all black with skulls and flames everywhere.
I put everything (almost) that I needed up higher so that I would not have to bend down.
I asked for homemade soup, and received!! I knew it would be easier to eat soup, yogurt etc than full meals at first. I was not really sure what I would feel like eating.
I got hungry in the middle of the night at the hospital! They do have crackers, juice and jello. That helped me switch to oral pain meds so that I could go home.
I only threw up once. I did tell them I had nausea with my last surgery (tubal). I was told they really have good meds for that now. Worked for me and Im a puker.
MY DH put a heated mattress pad on the bed (dual controls) and the electric blanket. AHHHHH.
It got cold (for CA) around the time of my surgery. I had been HOT HOT HOT before. I have only had a few hot flashes since my surgery. I thought I'd never be cold again.
I prepared my grandson about playing rough. We had to practice a week or so beforehand. I have always been the crazy one with him, we have silly games that can get pretty physical! His mom and Grandpa have back probs, so I had been playing airplane, etc. I had to back off that some when my fibriods went sideways on me.
I have actually watched movies in their entirety these past two weeks. Jack Nicholson! Chick flicks. The food network. I have had control of the remote, and I like it. I never had the time to sit down before the tube. I was always up puttering. I have been doing that too, a grabber would have been nice. I need help harvesting all the debris that ends up on the floor. It was an eye-opener for my family how much I do, did.
It is true about not acting too frisky at first, everyone figured it was business as usual after I was home a few days. My mom was saying I;d be sorry if I was not careful.
There are no do overs-You can't go back. I probably delayed my recovery about a week going shopping.
I wish I had did more cleaning and set up the tree before my surgery. I was too busy working, and did not feel like it.
I am so grateful for my coworkers that have been supportive. They were generous with their funny stories and lots of good advice. I really had not told a lot of them, due to the personal nature of this surgery--shut up the guys that were teasing me about my donut pillow!
I still use it. It really helps me when I know I may be sitting for a while on a hard seat.
Christmas music is so lovely in the background. I was given one CD of harp and guitar I have really been enjoying. Charlie Brown Christmas , too.
I also got a parody CD. "I am Santa Claus"-to the tune of Black Sabbath's Iron Man. Hilarous. Amy Lee's voice is so beautiful, Evanscence. Raising Sand CD is a trip.
I just wanted to share, as I wish I had had the foresight to prepare for my post op better. It was not all that bad for me, I know I'm lucky. I suffered more pain before my surgery to tell the truth.
Hynotherapy really saved my sanity preparing for surgery. I found a certified hypnotherapist thru the yellow pages. She is a retired OB nurse. I really appreciate all that she did to calm my fears and help stop my catastrophic thinking. I also levelled with my DR, and she was most reassuring. She said I should be more scared of riding than surgery!
Take care, better days are ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 08:44 PM

Hey there!
I too, prepared as much as I could. Put all the clothes at reaching level. Bought foods the DH and kids could make. Got all, ALL, the laundry done. ect, ect....
I am so grateful for all that I did before surgery. When I got home I didn't have to do a thing. We played Lord of the rings risk for hours, and they brought the kitchen table to me, seriously, right up to the couch! They cooked and cleaned for me. If I moved, they we're right there. Oh, I love Amy Lee's music. Have you heard of Megan McCauley? A lot of her music is similar. Soon, you'll forget you even had surgery (on some days) and months will go by without noticing you haven't had a period. Just today I was in the store buying tooth paste. Right there in front of me were, THE PADS. Ah....... I smiled, laughed a little and walked on. I bet people thought I was crazy, laughing to my self! It's a great feeling.

Good luck to you in your journey!
Unread 12-22-2007, 03:31 PM

I am going to have to give her a listen. Thank you so much. One of my former coworkers just made a CD, Twilight Moon by Bill Wylie. It is really different. I know everyone playing and singing on it, it was recorded in a garage studio. Risk is one of DH's favorite games. I really also got a kick out of the tampon crafts website. I am looking forward to putting all this behind me.
Thank you for the kind words, you sound like a fun mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 04:02 PM

I stayed the first few days with my mom and it felt like when I was a kid and didn't feel good to have her take care of me again.

Two of my friends from work sent me my favorite candy and good wishes.

I am not a good patient so it is hard for me to take it easy and let othersw do things for me.
Unread 12-22-2007, 04:30 PM

I too prepared before the big day. I've got soups in the freezer, high fiber snacks, yogurts, raisins, jello, etc. Can't have the pain meds causing any blockages. Only taking one pill 2-3 times a day, instead of 2 pills every 6 hours. I'm very type A and want to be doing my normal activities. DH has been great. He's quite the domestic, caring guy, but knows just how to real me in, before I do something stupid, trying to be stubborn, hard-headed, single-minded, and/or obstinate. To bad the weathers not warm here for him to go take a ride. Soon enough, March will be here, we'll be racing again. I'm due back at work in 6-8 weeks, as I too lift a lot (in EMS). It's frustrating to no end. Wanted to plug the tree lights in, but alas, no bending. Wanted to do laundry- no lifting over 10 pounds, and must be careful with stairs. Wanted to cook, but to much standing. Did make my own salad today. Yeah!! ACtually ventured out for an hour to grab a pair of tights to wear under a big sweater for Christmas. Wasn't bad.
I to have been watching movies all the way through. I have putzed around, as I had enough forethought to set up little projects to keep me busy while resting. Just made 16 foam penquins and snowmen. Made gift tags from old Christmas cards. Still have old photos to work with and files to sort and shred. Nobody wants to call or visit as they are afraid to wake me.
Haven't been listening to much music, as I normally do that for background when I'm up and around. For Christmas, I've always loved the Trans Siberian Orchestra, and Mannheim Steamroller. That and Brian Setzer has a fun CD out. Wannarideagain, I'll have to check out your friends CD. Always good to hear good local stuffs. Thanks. Take care ladies, and glad to here your recoveries are going well. I was starting to think that everybodies wasn't good, and they had no family support. Thanks for changing that view.
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks. Take care ladies, and glad to here your recoveries are going well. I was starting to think that everybodies wasn't good, and they had no family support. Thanks for changing that view.[/quote]

Your welcome, and I think a lot of the posts are that way because this is kind of a place for us, who have something in common, and can relate, can vent. I think there are "those" select few in all our lives who just don't get it and can be unsupportive. So, on those days of dispare, we can turn here and call on our "sisters" to vent out our fustrastions. Believe me, I have vented, whined, and cried with other sisters, but I also try to inspired, cheer up, and pass a hug.
If you celebrate the holidays, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a fun, but safe New Years!
Unread 12-23-2007, 01:17 PM

A belated thanks for your support, Sporsterkato. Your DH sounds like he a great rider. Contrary to popular belief, most motorcyclists are the most sensible, down to earth people I know.
My DH is an awesome, experienced rider. I find that so appealing (ok sexy!) Hey, I am feeling better. DH is also the governor on my motor most of the time.
I have to just realize he is not a mind reader. I have had to ask for his help and not be so stubborn.
He is from the land of Lincoln, too.
I do like Brian Setzer's CD, he is cute to me. Anne Wilson of Heart has a new one out also.
It sounds like you are keeping your busy brain occupied. I was impressed, so recent post-op.
I have been hearing about the weather your way--Hope you are keeping warm.

Take care, by the time it is nice out, you will be more than ready to hit the road again!

We have been having our weather

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register