Doctor too busy to discuss HRT Help! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor too busy to discuss HRT Help! Doctor too busy to discuss HRT Help!

Unread 12-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Doctor too busy to discuss HRT Help!

I am having the same problem. When I asked about hormone theraphy I was told since I was not since I had no ovaries or uterus it would not be a problem. So I asked the same question worded it differently. I asked him about testing for hormone levels. I was told unless I had hot flashes they were not necessary. His only suggestion was that I take tums for calcium. He does not even want to see me in 6 months for follow up. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out. I have not had luck finding a new Dr. and I am terrified at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Everyone of you need to go to the bookstore and buy The Wisdom of Menopause Book, by Christiane Northrup. It is full of answers and resources to tell you how to get your answers. I read the book; at this point the answer for me is to work with my homopath, we are strengtening my whole endro.(sp) system. My adrenals and perna gland (I can't sp cat today) and my thyroid are all off.
The adrenals produce testo. and estro. and the brain makes progest. so if these systems are healthy they can take over for your missing ovaries.
Go get the book get educated and quit listening to these idiots who don't care and don't have a clue. The author will respond to e-mail too.
Unread 12-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Doctor too busy to discuss HRT Help

Wow!!! The more I read the more I am amazed. I have been in the medical field for 17 years and I am still amazed at how people are treated. That doctor has someone over him, even if he is in a private practice, he is performing surgery at a hospital and they should have a medical director over the OB/GYN department. I would find out who that person is and send them an email or write them. The subject of HRT should have been discussed before your surgery. I was given the patch right after my surgery and a prescription for a year. During my post op check up, we discussed how it was working. I know some people feel comfortable with their doctor and some do not want to make waves. Remember this is your body and if you don't take care if it, no one else will. You can send a letter and not sign it but let them know how displeased you are. Imagine how they would react if you told them you are to busy to pay them. The doctor that delivered my kids and whom I have seen some in the past is not the same one who did my surgery. I researched and went to another office and not to discriminate, went to a woman. I liked her and felt comfortable with her. My post op appointment was at 1:40 and she had to deliver a baby and I was not called to a room until 3:30. All her patients in the waiting room stayed to see her. No one left!!! I could tell she was rushed but she gave me the time I needed for my questions. She even completed the forms I needed to return back to work. These days, you almost have to research your doctor like looking for a car. There are so many things you could do but you have to feel comfortable with the choice you make and if you continue to go to that doctor, feel comfortable seeing him again. But, please do something..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey2
. At the castle the anestologist said a hyster was routine surgery, and I told him as long as they were not doing it to you.
You are SOOO right......"minor" surgery is what they do to OTHER people! Only a couple of people at my castle had this attitude, about it being routine. ONe of them was the lady who checked us in....not medical staff at all. We complained to someone else about her because she was SO uncaring! They apologized profusely for her and explained that they're shorthanded up front and that's not her regular job. Whatever her regular job is, she DOESN'T need to be working w/patients! The other was a nurse's aide who treated me like I was just a piece of furniture she was working on, not actually a human.....thankfully, the "real" nurses were not that way at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey2
I believe everybody who is about to become a dr. should have an IV put in, and have an abdormal incision open it up and stitch it back and let them heal. Then they can talk and tell us how we feel.
In COMPLETE agreement!!!! My dr. was VERY compassionate w/me thru the whole process. I wasn't even trying to ask for extra help but just told him that I'm a serious weenie when it comes to pain, and I found out later he'd asked for extra doses of pain med in my IV since I was so worried about it. Wow! I thought that was cool!
Unread 12-24-2007, 10:55 AM

I should have known better when I confirmed the appointment and they asked me if I could come in 2 hours earlier because they wanted to close early for the holiday. That is why he was so rushed, but not a good excuse. It took me 2 hours to drive there for a 6 minute consultations, which included a pap smear. 2 hours home. Ugh, I must have been crazy to let him treat me like this.
Unread 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM

You might want to consider setting up an appointment with endocrinologist .

They can look at the hormone levels and the thyroid and see which is needing to be adjusted. could be both -- or just one.
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:05 PM

I agree with the other sisters this doc needs to listen to you or get one that will. I was put on the patch the morning after surgery and given a prescription going home I have not had a hot flash yet......maybe still on left over hormones. Dont be pushed around find someone who will help... Hope you feel better soon....
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM

Hi everyone
I am very confused. I am over 3 months post op, no ovaries, no cervix and not on any HRT! Not had any hot flushes as such, sometimes feel a little warm like when you are embarassed, but thats the only symptom. Before op emotions were like a rollercoaster, very weepy. I have settled down a lot, the anxiety is also calming down and I feel fine. My Consultant and my Doc said I didn't need HRT - I am 48. My Doc was very against HRT, she said unless hotflushes were a real problem then not to take anything, because of the possible side affects. My brother saw me over Christmas and he works in a hospital, when I told him I wasn't on any HRT he was shocked, but then said you look great!!
I guess I will just carry on and see what happens...
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM

I felt great the first 3 months. It takes approximately 90 days for all of your hormones to deplete. Once they depleted my body, I started feeling tired, then complete fatigue, headaches, tingling in my fingers, memory loss, brain fog. Everyone is different. I hope you continue to feel great.
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsister
Hi everyone
I am very confused. I am over 3 months post op, no ovaries, no cervix and not on any HRT! Not had any hot flushes as such, sometimes feel a little warm like when you are embarassed, but thats the only symptom. Before op emotions were like a rollercoaster, very weepy. I have settled down a lot, the anxiety is also calming down and I feel fine. My Consultant and my Doc said I didn't need HRT - I am 48. My Doc was very against HRT, she said unless hotflushes were a real problem then not to take anything, because of the possible side affects. My brother saw me over Christmas and he works in a hospital, when I told him I wasn't on any HRT he was shocked, but then said you look great!!
I guess I will just carry on and see what happens...

Hi Diamondsister --

our surgeries were a day apart and you have 2 years on me
but
I am in the same boat -- not taking anything and pretty much feeling great. my dr said unless was something that i could not deal with we are staying away from HRT also.
I have been slowly losing weight --
the only set back was i had a root canal and went on pain killers for that -- and it seems to have bumped the hot flushes -- -- so will be glad when that is all out of my system again.
So this is what is is to feel normal??? it has been so long to feel this way!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register