I'm scared, heart flutter, stomach upset, surgery in 5 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm scared, heart flutter, stomach upset, surgery in 5 days I'm scared, heart flutter, stomach upset, surgery in 5 days

Unread 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm scared, heart flutter, stomach upset, surgery in 5 days

Help! I am scared. Scheduled for TAH on 12/27/2007. Preop EKG and blood work on 12/26/2007 and I'm worried something stupid will show up and stop the surgery (what is that worry about?). Every since I have been told about this surgery date, my stomach has been rumbling and my heart feels like it is "fluttering". This is definitely stress and I have never been like this before. Any calming, soothing recommendations. Have been walking daily to calm down, have been taking long showers, not overdoing things for the holidays, but anything else anybody can provide. Thanks a million! Rae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I was a mess before my surgery. I found what helped me was hypnotherapy. It was very effective in calming my fears, and helping me not fall into just focusing on the negative. It is not the answer for everyone, depending on feelings about being hypnotized, religious beliefs and the therapist. My mother had used hypnotherapy when she had her hysterectomy, and that was about 30 years ago. I really admired her for that. I also talked to my Dr about how I was feeling. When she asked how I was, I told the truth. She said she wanted to give me more
information that would make me feel safer, and she did.
I really wish I had came her to this site before my surgery. It sounds like you are doing a lot to prepare yourself, and that is very good. I have learned so much from the other ladies here, and the empathy shines though . I know at least half a dozen other women that have had this surgery, most of them went TAH. None of them are sorry they had it done. Most of them said they should have done it sooner. It is not an easy decision to make. I am a worrier myself, and I felt physically like you described.
I made an earlier post about overdoing it in the first couple of weeks after. I was pleasantly surprised at how I felt afterwards. I was bugging before my surgery as I got an abnormal result on my urine test.
My Dr called herself to say she was not concerned, and that the lab documents made it sound worse that it was. I understand how you are feeling. "OK, I came this far, now my surgery may be cancelled/delayed!" The thought of having to go though this again, oh I cant.
I am sure your tests will be fine. Ask to have the results explained to you if possible. I was able to go on line to get mine, and the format is not really user friendly. Take the opportunties you have to speak to Dr and other staff before your surgery to answer any questions you have.
Take care Rae.
Unread 12-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Hi Rae. I know the last few days before the castle are full of anxiety. I was the same way and I am SOOOO happy to have it behind me now. Soon you will have it behind you also and will be breathing the same sigh of relief. As for tips to relax, I took a lot of bubble baths and treated myself to some massages in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I had my last massage a couple days before and it really helped to relax me. DH and I also went for pedicures the day before I went in (no polish) and that was a fun way to de-stress. Hang in there....this very trying time will soon be a thing of the past!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 04:46 PM

It's just a very odd thing to know we have agreed to lie down on the operating table and let the surgeon do this deed, it goes against all instincts. When I was feeling nervous, I just tried to focus as much as I could on the good outcome that I hoped and expected to have from the surgery, less on the stuff that might go wrong but usually does not. Once I got into that prep area where they get you ready for surgery, I didn't have a moment to myself to worry, they all took great care of me! Try to do some things now that you won't feel like doing later, and good luck to you!
Unread 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Rae
I was feeling exactly the same way 2 weeks ago...but found as the time got close I felt quite calm. It is nice to have Christmas to take your mind of everything..try to relax and enjoy the holidays. You'll soon be on the other side with us..x
Unread 12-22-2007, 05:38 PM

I had the same feeling right before surgery and I was considering calling the whole thing off. I found the surgery visualization mp3's recommended here were wonderful. I played them every evening and they really helped me relax - I played them on the way to the hospital and in the hospital too - as soon as I started hearing them, I relaxed right away.

I had no symptoms before the surgery but my doctor recommended it because she felt my fibroid was growing. I'm one week out and I feel wonderful. I must have gotten used to the pressure of the fibroid but now that it's gone, I feel so much better.
Unread 12-22-2007, 08:11 PM

Hi Rae

I was exactly the same as you, totally stressed out and worried about every little thing before my surgery. I can finally speak from the other side as I had my TAH on December 12th and am on my way to recovery.

As much as it is very hard to listen to everyone telling you to not stress and take it easy on yourself, it is the best thing you can do. I know when our bodies are under a lot of stress our immune systems don't function as well and I was so worried about catching a cold or the flu or something before surgery but it all worked out and I'm sure you'll be okay.

Be kind to yourself, make sure you spend the last couple of days before surgery just taking it easy and don't try to do too much. I finally had to realize on the last couple of days before surgery that I couldn't do it all and that all my freaking out and stressing was only making it worse, so I just decided that there were things that weren't going to get done and had to deal with it. It is a very stressful time in our lives and we seem to find time to worry about everything but it's all over before we know it, and at less than two weeks out of surgery, I can say so far that it has been very worth it. Like others have said, the waiting and stress before seems to be the worst part.

Take care of yourself!
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:10 AM

I was a major stress puppy before my surgery, but I can also be an obsessive worrier. As the hyster-sister who did my pre-admit said, we have to psych ourselves up for this surgery, and we don't want to deal with let-down, so that's where the fear of cancellation comes up. My DH also points out that I worry to the point that I will be upset if something *doesn't* go wrong! (and not just about this). So I was able to face down some issues before going in. I even got some good sleep for 6 hours before the surgery!

My DH and my pastor came to sit with me in the surgery holding area, and that really helped. All my surgical team came to talk to me as well, including the nurse -- turns out his daughter was a dancer in a production I was the musical director for! When I was about to be wheeled out, my pastor asked for a moment of prayer, which calmed me down substantially. The man next to us overheard us praying, and asked my pastor to come pray with his wife as well, so I'm glad my pastor was there for her too.

When I was wheeled in, I had to let go and let God, so to speak. I had a really good anesthesiologist, and I fell asleep really quickly. It was over before I knew it, I woke up 3 hours later.

You'll do fine. Bring up your concerns with your doc, as well as your team, and I'm sure their reassurances will go a long way in calming your fears, which I can't help but think will go a long way in helping to heal your body!
Unread 12-23-2007, 09:06 PM

I understand how you're feeling. I've calmed down a lot since I realized that my grandmother had a TVH last year and she's 88. If she can do it at her age I will be fine. I know hers was vaginal and mine is not, but what a remarkable thing for an 87 year old.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register