I have a general question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a general question I have a general question

Unread 12-23-2007, 01:11 AM
I have a general question

Ive noticed in all these posts that if someone is in pain it is generally in the lower right side. I have the same problem,after surgery and after my bad fall..... Is there something special the doctors do on the right side that would make us all experience this same type of pain? Jusy curious. Nothing urgent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2007, 02:11 AM

Hello TamaraJo:

I don't know how true this is, but my surgeon said that the instrument used to hold open my abdomen was in place for 2 hours. I'm assuming that because my surgeon is right handed, the "tool" was in place which put more pressure on the right side. I don't know... but this is what I figure because I remember when I was wheeled into the surgery room, I was on the table for a split second before I was out. There was no way the surgeon was going to stand on my left side so it makes sense.

Do I??? I hope I helped but I don't know if I'm right. This makes sense to me though.
Unread 12-23-2007, 06:31 AM

[quote=TamaraJo]Ive noticed in all these posts that if someone is in pain it is generally in the lower right side. I have the same problem,after surgery and after my bad fall..... Is there something special the doctors do on the right side that would make us all experience this same type of pain? Jusy curious. Nothing urgent

I had severe pain on the lower left side. I even saw my Doc at 13 days post-op for it. He thought I had a small hematoma that would eventually absorb. Now I think he is probably left handed, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2007, 07:30 AM

Hi Tamarajo
I don't honestly know the answer here, but Cyndi's explanation is probably at least one of the reasons. I have wondered about this too. It's interesting because we see regular threads titled "Right sided pain" and "Left sided pain", so it goes both ways.

Another explanation is that which ever side there needed to be the most work can be the most painful post op. Sometimes the surgeon will attach an ovary or something to one side or another and that will cause pain for a time. Sometimes when endo has to be removed there will be more pain on the side that was worst too.

Be sure to tell your dr where it's hurting the most. Often they can tell you a probable reason for pain in one particular area. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
's, Rita
Unread 12-23-2007, 07:53 AM

My surgeon always puts in the lap scope on the right side, so there's definitely going to be more activity around that area than the other side!
Unread 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM

I had a TAH, with the pain on the left and right corners of the abdomin. I asked the doctor about it, and he said that these are the areas where the incisions are closed internally (under the skin).
Unread 12-23-2007, 08:46 AM

One of the nurses told me that when they open the belly (I had a TAH), that two people, one on each side, spread the sides open and that one can use more pressure than the other one or stretch the skin more and that might be the cause of one side having more pain than than the other. I wish I knew more about the techniques but then again, I am kind of squeamish about some things.
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:13 AM

I've had extra pain on my right side, too, close to where my old appendix scar is. I had just figured that it had something to do with the appendectomy that I had years and years ago. This is interesting.
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:28 AM

This is interesting.

I described my pain as aching ovaries..because that's how it felt- sure it's just in that general area. More in the left than right, allthough less everyday..
Unread 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Definitely an interesting topic. During my recovery, I had more pain on my left side. I'd heard that the side the surgeon stands on is often more sore than the other side. Sounds logical, but I never did remember to ask my doc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register