Hysterectomy dates Dec 24-Dec 31,2007 - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 24-Dec 31,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 24-Dec 31,2007

Unread 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
ups and downs

Hi, Sisters,

I'm sorry to hear about the infections, pings and pains. We sure have to go through a lot to get to the other side sometimes. But, I agree, we are truly amazing healing machines.

So far the only real pain I've had since surgery is the day I went to the grocery store with my husband. I got half way through the store and started hurting. After we got to the register, I went to the car. Took a pain pill at home and later felt fine.

I find it interesting that some of you have pain meds so far out. I was on my 6th day and the nurse told me I should be weening myself off them! I thought I was doing good at taking 2 every 6 hours. So from then on, I started counting and figuring and taking tylenol. I do contribute some of my painlessness to the meds!

After my belly had to be reopened, I did take some pain meds at night and right before the dressing changes. Now I am only taking them at dressing changes. I don't want to get "hooked" but I do want to have the opportunity to be comfortable when the dressings are changed. I haven't had the sponge changed yet...I get to try that sensation tomorrow. I believe I'll be okay.

I go to the doc next Tuesday. I plan to get good news about my incision!

Everyone, take care! Rest! Eat chocolate!
Chocolate Queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
pain meds

I took narcotic pain meds for 2 weeks and still take aspirin a lot. I'm amazed that I didn't get hooked on them since this is the 4th surgery in 6 months. I was really concerned about that this time. Some people do get hooked on them quickly-like my brother.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
pain meds

Laurawho, I know about family getting hooked on scripts. Both parents, a brother and a sister got hooked on those things. They would go to several docs and get what they wanted. It always irritates me when a doc treats me like an addict because of what other people have done. I am one of those people who has a high pain tolerance but if I tell you I'm hurting...it means I AM hurting.

I haven't had any tugging pains but I have had some sharp pains off to the sides of my vertical incision. I guess it is pains from where things used to be! But, like I said, my pain is very minimal, thank the Lord.

Hystersisters is a nice place to chat with folks who have "been there, done that!"

Chocolate Queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Setbacks and overdoing it

Hello sisters! I have only posted to this thread once or twice because I have been confused about how to post here (I'm a little computer illiterate). Nonetheless, I have been reading these posts everyday, and they have really helped. The post by Northbound especially was helpful because I have been feeling a lot of pain up near my belly button and was very worried something was wrong. I wonder why my doctor didn't tell me about this. Thanks!

Like some of the rest of you, I also had a setback in my recovery. I've already posted some of this elsewhere, so I am sorry if I am repeating myself. My TAH surery was on December 26, and I was doing very well until last week. I started feeling like something was a little off by the middle of last week because I was experiencing increased pain. I didn’t go to the doctor because I thought that the increased pain was just from overdoing it, so I just tried to get more rest. Silly me, I didn't want to "bother" my doctor, and didn't want to be seen as a hypochondriac. By Saturday evening the pain had increased to the point that it was unbearable, so my boyfriend took me to the Kaiser hospital in Riverside. At the hospital they did a CT scan, told me it was probably gas, and sent me home with Gas X and Vicadin ( hadn't been taking that since a week after my surgery). Later that day I started throwing up and was just miserable, but since the hospital hadn't found anything, I assumed I just needed more rest. Monday evening I was still sick to my stomach and had developed a fever. I decided to not go back to the hospital but to instead wait until the next morning to see the doctor who had performed the surgery. I saw him yesterday morning and he told me I had developed a vaginal cuff infection and a urinary track infection. He said the UTI is very common post-op for women with hysterectomies.

After I got home from my surgeon, I took a look at the paperwork the hospital had given me and read that they had diagnosed me with irritable bowel syndrome. They never ran any tests to see if I had an infection, but they did check to see if I had problems with my gall bladder or appendix. Since then I have been on some strong antibiotics and am now starting to feel better.

I guess the lessons I have learned from my own experiences and yours are: a) listen to your own body, b) don't try any heroics, and c) be an advocate for yourself. I am praying for full recovery for all of you sisters out there! Take care of yourself !
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 24-Dec 31,2007

rj~ glad to hear you finally got some answers and can now be on the mend

My nurse in the hospital was getting snippy about pain meds with me before I was released I'm not one that even likes to take the stuff but I'm like some of you, if I ask for it I NEED it.

I went today and had a urine test. I've had bladder spasms and it hurts when it's full. I don't know if it's just everything adjusting to it's new home or an infection. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Monday I will get my pathology reports back. I'll be interested to see what they say.

Happy Healing!
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:28 AM

Chocolate,

So glad to "read" from you!

Take care

's

Mercie
42 y. o.
Polypectomy+D&C+Hysteroscopy Aug 06
TAH Dec 26th 2007 Windber PA
Final Dx:
Uterus and Cervix 131 GMS
Proliferative Phase Endometrium with Adenomyosis.
Myometrium with no histopathologic change.
Cervix with Nabothian Cyst.
Uterine Fibroid.
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:51 PM

Hola!
I've been off the computer this week secondary to having a FANTASTIC cold that kicks my butt when sneezing and coughing. Thank goodness I am 3 wks out because even with a bracing pillow, it hurts! Im taking tylenol once or twice daily as needed but my issue is lack of energy. I am severely iron deficient and anemic but due to my GERD and gastritis issues, iron is not easy for me to take. Im also bandid (Lapband) and had to take my fill out because my stomach got so irritated with the motrin post op. The good thing for me is that I have kept off the 8 lbs post op that I lost but...I got to improve my diet intake so I can get my Hbg up to a woping 8 or 9, More importantly, so I can get my carcus in gear. Maybe its the anemia and germ invasion but I can't get myself to do much of anything but sleep. I figure my body must needed because I sleep solid at night as well. PATIENCE, I guess.
LovelyBubbly: thanks for your kind words. Im chilling. Hope your doing well.

Hope the infections are under control as well as bowel issues. Hang in there!
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:03 AM

OK, now things are turning a corner. Feeling pretty good, my DH took me out to the back garage to peek at the boat and look at the snowmobile. It's only 0 degrees out, bottom line is it felt good to be out. Just over three weeks inside I'm a little stir crazy. Swelling a bit on the top of incision, but I think that's normal. Soreness of stomach is going away a bit each day. That real hard part of STILL not doing anything is starting to set in. Oh well, it's worth it to me, no more periods. WooHoo! Hope everyone is feeling better and starting to move around more.
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Okay, it's 3 weeks post-op and I feel great. My procedure was a laparoscopic hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries and cervix. I'm completely back to normal, even having normal "relations" with my husband. I'm so happy I had this procedure, and I hope everyone here recovers quickly and gets back on with their lives. Uterus-less and happy!

- J.O. in Oregon
Unread 01-20-2008, 02:37 PM

I am feeling much better now also, and although I had a setback due to an infection, the antibiotics have cleared that all up. I had a TAH and am not back to work yet, but am driving around places and back to some of my normal activities. I don't start back to work until Feb 6, and I am actually starting to feel like I could go back earlier, but won't because I already have a sub set up until the 6th (I am a teacher).

I am still feeling somewhat sore and tired, but that is mostly in my stomach muscles and lower back, which I think is normal. I go for walks everyday, so that is building up my strength, but am not okayed by the doctor for weight training yet. I see him again on the 8th, so we'll see what he says then. I try to stay busy during the day so that I can sleep well at night, and that seems to be working so far. I have not had any problems with insomnia yet.

My stomach muscles and skin feel weird, tight in some places, bulgy in others. I think cardio and weight training will help with that. I am going to ask my doctor for special exercises I can do for my back and stomach. Does anyone out their have an good websites for that? I hope everyone else is doing well also. Take care of yourselves!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register