Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy: LAVH - My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy: LAVH - My Story Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy: LAVH - My Story

Unread 12-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy: LAVH - My Story

My story actually starts in Oct. of this year. I went to the doctor for some joint pain I was experiencing and because I had neglected to have my yearly woman exam done in about four years, at the end of this appt. I proceeded to make myself an appt for just that very thing. So in Nov. I went for my papsmear and it came back abnormal. My doctor then sent me to another doctor for a cervical biopsy.

Biopsy- it was painful to say the least, no anesthesia of any kind. Thankfully my husband was with me thru it all. Results came back a week later, level 2/3 cervical dysplasia. Ok-this doctor only suggested lazering the cervix and then keep an eye on everything and see what is there in 6 months.

I did not have peace about the suggestion that was given to me about my situation. So I went for a second opinion and this doctor highly recommended LAVH due to my diagnosis and my history of irregular periods, heavy bleeding and immense pain.

Two weeks after meeting with this other doctor for my second opinion, I decided to stick with him and follow thru with the hysterectomy. This has turned out to be the best decision for my life.

I had my surgery on 12/11/07, everything went well during the surgery. I lost less blood than normal and I was able to keep my ovaries.

I had the most horrible pain after surgery. My previous c-section and vaginal delivery pain combined did not compare to this. I blacked-out several times and while on a morphine pump, with 2 shots of demerol and one shot of toradol later (6 hours according to my husband) I was out of pain.

I came home and had to stay on pain meds every three hours for 5 days. I am now on something milder but I have to take it 3-4 times a day. I am extremely tired and emotional at this point.

Last Friday I went back for a check up and I had a bladder infection. Yuck! I also received my pathology report and everything was contained to the cervix, as expected the level 2/3 dysplasia but there was also cancer cells (beginning level) present. That was totally unexpected, but now I know why I did not have peace with the other doctor and was led in the direction of another doctor. My life was hanging in the balance and I did not even know it.

I am very thankful now for how things have turned out. I am now home recovering with my family as my support system. The cancer cells were in such an early state that I do not have to have radiation or chemo, just a check up every 12 months(for the next 5 years) to keep an eye on my vaginal walls. According to my doctor there is a less than 1% chance of anything ever returing. I think that is really good news.

I am a blessed woman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register