Getting Out of Bed Post Op Week 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Out of Bed Post Op Week 8 Getting Out of Bed Post Op Week 8

Unread 12-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Getting Out of Bed Post Op Week 8

Was just curious to see how many sisters are getting out of bed "normally".
At post op week 8, I still can not get out of bed normally.
I have to turn on my side and use my arm to push up to sitting position, otherwise I get a sharp pulling pain in my right groin area and it lasts for a couple days.
How long before we can get out of bed normally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 04:43 PM

I think that I too was still going over on my side and using my arm to get out of bed at week eight. I think that somewhere around week 10 or 11 I noticed I was no longer doing it. The only time I have had any pain recently was after chipping at some of the 3 inch thick ice on our driveway, and I think I actually pulled a muscle.
Unread 12-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Did you tell your doc about the pain in your groin? Just make sure it's not a hernia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Hi Leslieski:
Honestly don't think it is a hernia. It gets better when I move around and goes away after I take it easy. There are many posts about this pain, seems to be a normal thing with healing. It used to be a lot stronger in earlier weeks and I did mention it to my doctor and she did not seem to concerned about said it was probably a pulled muscle since it got better with rest.
But if it gets any worse, I will mention it to her again.
Unread 12-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Elaine,

I am at the 9 week mark and am frustrated at how slow I seem to be healing, I picked up a 40lb bag of dog food last night and have been hurting ever since. I think as we age out bodies don't heal as fast. I'm learning that lesson the hard way, I had my surgery on the 23rd of October about a week before yours. I've had bladder spasms which is now controlled by medication now and is improving, I am also finding that I am still getting tired easy, I've been told by many that a year from my surgery I will be amazed at how much better I feel. I had a period of 2 weeks that I felt AWESOME, like a new woman, then I became sort of withdrawn. So I guess what I'm getting at is it will take time to heal as we age, Your not alone. I'm in the same boat with you. My Family dr has prescribed Tramadol and I take 2 of those as needed to get through this.

Merry Christmas and may we heal together and listen to our bodies
Unread 12-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Hi Cradleloss:
I totally agree with you about taking longer to heal the older you get. I feel I am about 3 weeks behind the 6-8 week timeline they give you. I did not even move from my bed until 4 weeks except to use the bathroom. Then I had a 4 week post op check up and the dr realeased to normal activity!
I figured I better get up and start moving.
Unread 12-24-2007, 07:17 PM

I will be 9 weeks post-op tom. (Christmas Day) and really haven't had any trouble since 3 3 1/2 weeks. Sorry to say that, but the only pain or problem I'm experiencing is the pain in my hips. Have had that since surgery.

Best of luck to you and just take it easy. Everyone heals differently and at their own pace.
Unread 12-24-2007, 10:09 PM

I'd love to hear from anyone who has frustration of how slowly things are going healing wise. I was up and ready to dance after both of my c-sections, this year I had my tonsils out in April, then got hit with the TAH Surgery in October, I am picking up every bug going around, I know my immune system is down and now that I've hurt myself by picking up that bag of dog food I feel really down because I expected to be back to Normal and I'm not. Merry Christmas everyone!! It's officially Christmas now!
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:29 AM

I am sorry some of you are still feeling crappy.
I have not had pain getting out of bed or much other stuff for awhile now.
Yes I get the odd twinge and pull but nothing I would say as pain.

I made a point of getting up and moving right away not doing much b ut walking around stores, feeding animals, getting mail.
I think that really helped me get on my feet faster. I slowly built up my muscles.
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm only at 3 weeks, but I've noticed something along the lines of what jjcj is saying about not using muscles.

My doctor restricted me from our front stairs... wasn't allowed down them at all until 2 weeks post-op, and I'm only allowed down them once a day now! Boy, do I feel muscle weakness every time I go down the stairs. My legs feel shaky every time, and I have to hang onto the railing to feel "safe."

By all means, not suggesting to ignore doctors' orders or your body if something doesn't feel right... but boy, does it feel awful that all these muscles have gone slack from underuse!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register