I am a little worried about my soon to be post op behavior | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am a little worried about my soon to be post op behavior I am a little worried about my soon to be post op behavior

Unread 12-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I am a little worried about my soon to be post op behavior

Last night DH and I were discussing my mean behavior after my Appendectomy 7.5 yrs ago. I am so scared that I am not going to be nice. Of course I do not do it on purpose and have very little recolection of my 5 day stay after the appendix came out. It was an emergency surgery and ended up being ruptured cysts not my appendix. They put me on the maternity floor and my roommates baby had a billirubin light. That is all I remember of 5 days in the hospital. I think the nurses kept me sedated. DH said I was plain evil.

I am horrified that I am going to be mean to my family and the staff taking care of me. Or God forbid the Dr.. My Mom is a RN and I would be appauled at any patient that treated her in the manner my DH told me I treated people. Now that I think about it I should have written an apology letter to the staff All of my ER visits when my pain is off the charts have not been good memories of me being nice either

Does anyone else have these issues? Or any advice on how to deal with this? I am hoping that with this being a planned surgery I can be nice

Maybe I can pin a note to my PJs that I apologize in advance and I am really not a mean person

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I think that you have a good idea with the pinning a note to your PJs. Actually I usually say I am sorry in advance just in case I behave badly, though usually I am just weird after surgery.

Perhaps you can write a note for your DH to set up in your room on your table for the nursing staff alsong with some treats. They would probably get a kick out of it less likely to think you are a mean person naturally!

Don't worry about it too much, they see all kinds of things. Just remember to try to be kind and if you can't, the note will help. Maybe knowing in advance this time, as it is not an emergency, you will be better in control.

Happy Holidays!
Unread 12-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks Loki!
I love the idea of a treat plate and a note explaining my personality default

Happy Holidays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 10:33 PM

Appoligize in advance and ask him to nicely remind you if you step over the line. and try to remember its the pain talking .. i am a extreamly nice preson but after surgery i was grump and mean at times for the first two weeks. i would just be so anoyed at my hubby for no reason at all but thank goodness he said he was prepared and didnt take it personal LOL. good luck
hugs
lisa
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyABs
Thanks Loki!
I love the idea of a treat plate and a note explaining my personality default

Happy Holidays
Default? Oh don't be silly. I think that people need things, quirks, to make sure that when they are on their game they are appreciated for the wonderful people they are! I know that when I would suffer from PMS (or Lupron effects) it would really make my family appreciate whoe great I really am!

Hope your Holidays were wonderful!
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:42 AM

I have a problem with any drugs, in so much as that as soon as I take them, I can't remember anything, but I am wide awake and running off at the mouth! I am definetly not a good patient, and try to tell everyone how to do things. I usually apologize before hand, and try to send a thank-you card/note to the nurses who took care of me. Also, have your DH bring some chocolate to your room right after your surgery, for the nurses. They love that! Or, mine did, anyway. Drugs affect all of us so differently, and I'm sure that's what happens to you. That cannot be helped, because you are so going to need those drugs! You can talk to your family beforhand, and explain things, that it's the drugs talking, not you, and they will need to have patience(?0, and understanding. I'm sure that they will, knowing what to expect before it happens.
Good luck, God bless, and have an uneventful recovery.
Mary Kay
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM

If I ever have surgery again, I think I'll have to issue some type of warning or disclaimer about possible mean behavior. The morphine really "morphed" me. Not that I have a stellar dispostion anyway, but I turned into a wicked woman later that night after surgery.

I really did quite well after surgery and the morphine really helped with the pain. I was "chillin" and felt pretty good for several hours, but then all of a sudden I felt the meaness come over me. My husband said he could tell something was up with me when I opened my eyes...he knew I was about to blow up. I even told the nurse I suddenly felt agitated, frustrated, and just plain mean! I knew I was being bad, but just couldn't help it. It was bad.

Once they stopped the morphine, my behavior improved but I felt so guilty! The nurses were great though because they took my awful behavior in stride and even chuckled about it afterwards when I had calmed down. They teased me about being a fiery red-head! The doc even got a laugh out of my "episode" and told me not to worry about it...they'd seen it all before and understood.

I still feel bad about it, but I guess it was out of my control and luckily everyone was very understanding...especially my wonderful hubby.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks Mary Kay and grateful1

Too funny about the red head comment. I am Irish, but not natually a red head. Most think it is natural though. I am generally nice, but have a pretty short fuse at times.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one that has these medication defaults. I think it was a mixture of too much morphine and anesthesia. I will definately be bringing a note and some sort of goodie tray just in case I never really figured out what caused the meanness. I was also really mad they would not let me go smoke. I was in lock down on the maternity ward.
I have set my quit date for my surgery day so at least I am aware I will not be doing any smoking. I am already telling myself I will no longer have that nasty habit! Maybe a patch would be a good idea.

Thanks again Sisters! I love this place
Unread 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM

I know what you mean. Morphine usually makes people mean. I've heard that over the years and I just went thru it. I had my surgery on the 27th and came home yesterday the 28th. I was on Morphine and I wanted to rip people's hair out. As far as I know, I didn't verbalize this need to kick the little kids running up and down the hospital corridor. Nor did I let on that my husband honkerblonked me off by not coming to the hospital before 11 am on the day after the surgery (even though I told him not to come before 11 because I wanted to sleep.) I definatly did not call my friends and yell because no one came to see me - even though I told everyone not to come because I read on this website that I would not want visitors.

So yes, you may be not as nice as you would like to be but you can always blame it on the drugs. I liked the idea of a note on your pj's. I brought a dish of candy and sat it on my table for everyone. At the end of the day, you have to do what it right for you. If it means that your not so nice side has to come out, then that is ok.
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Beeker10 Glad you are home. Hope all the ladies that helped are feeling well. I have to tell you, you guys just made me and my Mom (she is an RN and had no idea people thought about this) laugh and man that hurt, but it felt good to giggle. Thank goodness for fluffly pillow support on the abdomen.
The good news is I was nice. Yay what a relief. Maybe they should have tried Dilaudid with me along time ago.

Best wishes on your surgeries and recoveries

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register