swollen or bloated abdomen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swollen or bloated abdomen swollen or bloated abdomen

Unread 12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
swollen or bloated abdomen

Hello. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 12/18 due to uterine fibroids. My uterus was enlarged as though I was 3 months pregnant and therefore my stomach had been protruding. It's been a week and my stomach looks the same although the uterus has been removed. I don't understand. If the uterus was making my belly look so big, wouldn't my belly be SMALLER after my surgery? I also had the 'sling' put in for my bladder and wondered if this could have anything to do with it. Dissappointed because I really didn't want a hysterectomy and decided that at least on a positive note my stomach would be smaller afterwards. Am I being naive regarding surgery? Has anyone experienced this or have any idea if it is normal even though it was not an abdominal hysterectomy?

Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi!
I think it is still too early to expect a flat stomach. I had a pretty flat stomach before my surgery, and i am still experiencing "swelly belly", especially in the evenings. I think it might be a couple of months before it quits doing that totally. Maybe some others will write messages about their experiences. You can also search under "swollen belly" or "swelly belly".
Blessings,
Grace
Unread 12-25-2007, 03:36 PM

Hey girl. I also had my surgery done on the 18th as well. Today is a week. I havent weighed myself but visually you can see that my stomach has gone done whereas I looked as if I was 6 mths pregnant and now I look maybe 4 mths. I had TAH (irregular bleeding). Im not in as much pain as I was last wk but now the staples (20) are irritating the heck out of me. I dont understand why your stomach hasnt gone down. I guess just give it a little time. So how is your appetite since the surgery. Mines not all that good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Hello

Hello there my recovering sister. I had a laparascopic with vaginally assisted hysterectomy on the 11th and my belly is still swollen. It has gone down a lot since the surgery but I still cannot wear anything but my stretchy pants or just my nightgowns. I have been told that it is normal to have that wonderfully round belly for a while, although if you are experiencing anything that you think is not "normal" in your opinion then definately call you doctor. You are only in your first week of recovery and everything is by no means back to its normal state, your body has been traumatized and needs time to recooperate. Remember to be kind to your self and pamper yourself daily. It will get better, you have made it this far and you will get better and better everyday.

Much love,
pinkwiley
Unread 12-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi Grace. I'm curious, did you have an abdominal or vaginal?
Unread 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM

I had a DaVinci robotic lap hyst and experienced swelly belly for at least 2-3 months...sorry to say....had to buy new pants to return to work....I think given the trauma your insides go thru it is quite normal......I would say by the 6th or so week, that I would have a smaller belly during the morning finally but the full on swelly belly would still come back mid day and on......just keep telling yourself it is only temporary...don't expect too much...you are still very early in healing....good luck
Unread 12-25-2007, 07:30 PM

Hi asneddon0628!
I had a TAH on Nov. 26 with ovaries taken out as well. I had the bowel repair and bladder tacked up. That may explain why I still have the swelly belly. We just have to give it time. I know it will get better!
Grace
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Pinkwiley,
I had LAVH the same day as you, I am wondering how you are recovering? I still feel bloated, sore, and have been spotting everyday since surgery (I had fibroids, and endo). I drove maybe one mile yesterday, and was very sore afterward. I also have a hard time laying on my sides, it feels strange. I still get very tired at the end of the day, and I am a little worried about going back to work. I am supposed to go back on Jan. 7.
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
To FROSTBITE

Frostbite, lots of soft hugs and chocolate to you!!! Well you are not alone with any of the things that you are experiencing. I am still sore, bloated (more at night) and spotting, too.( I had stage 2/3 cervical dysplasia with beginning stage of cancerous cells. Thank goodness that they got it all!!!) But, I have drove a few times and it reallys does me in for a while, so I wouldn't recommend doing it that often just yet. A little advice with laying on your side, I tried using a thin pillow and placed along my side and rolled over onto it on to my side, this gives my tummy just enough support that nothing is being pulled toward the bed and it works for a little while (at least so I can get off of my back for a little while). I am still very tired at the end of the day and sometimes need my prescribed meds to get totally relaxed. I am sorry about the fact you are having to go back to work, I am actually not being released until I go back to my doctor on the 19th of Jan. then I am not sure what or when he is going to allow me to go back to work. You are not alone in what you are feeling right now, just remember to take it slow and rest when you need it and then rest some more. Try to pamper yourself everyday in some little way, you deserve it. (I am actually writing in a journal and it helps.) Take care of yourself!!!

Much Love,
pinkwiley
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Pinkwiley,
Thanks for responding. It nice to have kind words from others going through the same thing. I too go back for my 6 wk check on Jan. 18 ) I am just anxious to be back to myself again. It is hard, as I am sure you know! I am glad to hear that they got all of the cancerous cells out! I will keep you in my thoughts, best wishes for a speedy, healthy recovery.

Frostbite

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register