Anyone with a Bartholin Abscess? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with a Bartholin Abscess? Anyone with a Bartholin Abscess?

Unread 12-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone with a Bartholin Abscess?

I'm pretty sure this is what I have - swollen, tender, and growing daily. I had what I thought was the flu a few days ago with 101 temp - called Dr. they thought it was probably the flu - then my gland started to swell. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this - I did search it out and found a few things. It's Christmas today - will call my Dr. in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 06:36 PM

I had one of these....in fact, it seems I get them too often!

I always soak like 3 times a day in a warm bath, put a warm wash cloth on it, and then squeeze. I know it sounds gross, but then it pops! :=)
Unread 12-25-2007, 08:37 PM

Lorbun,
Apply warm compresses as often as possible; if you are not allergic, take a nonsteriodal antiinflammatory (such as Advil, Motrin ) with food for discomfort & inflammation; and call you health care provider in the am! (Although if it's really uncomfortable, go to the ER tonight). If it is a Bartholin abscess, they are typically drained (sometimes the drain is left in place for several days) & you will need to be on antibiotics as it is bacterial in nature.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM

I was treated three times for a bartholin cyst and every time they had a hard time getting it to drain very well - the last time the doctor made three attempts to incise it - and I finally made him stop. As it turns out I had a rectal fistula instead - it was misdiagnosed as a bartholin cyst because of where it was located. Just FYI. In either case - they are not any fun. I hope you feel better soon!!
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone - waiting for the Dr. to call me back. None of the options for recovery sound to swell - no pun intended - will keep you updated.
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Well went to the Dr. Looks like it's not what I thought it was - thank God! 10 days of antibiotics and another 4 weeks of "pelvic" rest - boo hoo! Just a hair folicle that has gone crazy! Path report shows no cancer - YEAH! Sitz baths here I come....
Unread 12-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Lorbun, Thanks for the update. I'm glad it was not a Bartholin abscess, although folliculitis can be very uncomforatble too! Hopefully the antibitoics will kick in soon - frequent warm compresses should help too! Great news on the path report!!!
Enjoy your sitz baths & wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Update - In to ER yesterday this thing grew to the size of a ping pong ball. Had lab work, CT scan, and then the I&D - incision and drainage. With only 1 darvocet on board. I have never in my entire life endured so much pain. I'm not sure how I didn't pass out! My poor husband was pale, but such a trooper. I now have a drain in it and will be going back to the hospital tomorrow to have it checked, if it isn't better they will have to go in and surgically clean it out and put me on IV antibiotics. I woke up this morning with a rash all over my body - probably from the antibiotics. Will be calling the DR. again. The drain they put in has a balloon at the tip with water in it to hold it in place, still very painful. I was so out of it yesterday -that being a nurse in my own hospital were I work -I should have gotten some IV meds for the pain. What was I thinking? Only a Darvocet and Lidocaine for that procedure. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! They think the infection is probably MRSA - nurses tend to be carriers of it. Not sure what they are going to do about the rash and antibiotics - the rash could be from the contrast from the CT? Well thanks for letting me vent. I had planned a get-away for me and my husband this weekend through New Years at the coast at a bed and breakfast- it was suppose to be our 6 week check up and clearance to be romantic, we were so excited. Instead my cuff isn't healed needs at least 4 more weeks, I have a drain in my who who with pus coming out, and I'm all doped up on Darvocet with a rash all over my body! Oh happy happy joy joy. I'm quit the catch. Will keep you updated. Thanks
Unread 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Hugs to you!!

THat made me nervous just reading that.
Unread 12-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Hang in there Lorbun! I hope in a few weeks this will all be behind you and you will have your romantic weekend.
Healing thoughts to you~~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register