Am I doing too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing too much? Am I doing too much?

Unread 12-26-2007, 03:16 AM
Am I doing too much?

Hi All
I am 3 weeks post op and think I am doing great! I am taking 800mg of Motrin a day - sometimes 2x but that is it. I have not had any major issues with pain, infection or anything. I do have a little rash around my incision but is clearing up after I started blow drying after washing.
I feel so good but think I may be overdoing it. I do not want to be stupid and do anything to set myself back, but I also just cant sit here and do nothing. I have been going up and down stairs since 1 week post op. I have lifted a few things that may have been too heavy but so far have not felt any effects. If I feel like I can do it, can I? I am walking each day. Have been shopping and out to eat. I am doing some house chores - actually scrubbed the shower floor on hands and knees the other day. I was VERY sore after and took another motrin. Can I be hurting myself and not realize it? I am tired all the time, and waking up after about 4-5 hours of sleep but did this prior to surgery so am used to it.
I had a TAH Dec. 4th
Thank you and God bless you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Am I doing too much?

You should talk to your doctor about what you are specifically allowed to do. I reall that my doc said that stairs were OK, but no bending, no stooping, and absolutely NO lifting. Nothing more than 5# for the first month. Do take care of yourself. As I have read here many times, you only have this one chance to heal properly and if you don't take advantage of it you could wind up with more long term problems.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Unread 12-26-2007, 06:25 AM
Am I doing too much?

Thank you - she did say no lifting, take it easy, rest. There just seems to be so much to do. I went to my classroom 3 times after my surgery, went to both my children's parties at school - I just feel like I cant say no.
Christmas was at my house and I loved having everyone here, just had to do a good cleaning to get it ready. My sister came and did the heavy stuff for me me. She has been incredible. So now house is clean except for toys everywhere - which I can deal with and I will take it easy today.
Thank you for your reply and God bless you!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 06:38 AM
Am I doing too much?

msalphabet

I'm afraid it really does sound as if you are doing way too much. The initial, and vital healing, takes approximately 6 weeks, with full recovery then taking anything from 3 months to a year. A TAH is major abdominal surgery ~ I think if you knew just how many hundreds of internal stitches you had, I doubt you'd want to move at all! I was told to do nothing more strenuous than lift a mug of tea for 6 weeks.

Unfortunately, I've seen other ladies post as you have, but who are then back a few weeks later and in trouble. It may help you to read our HS article <link> Doing too much, too soon as this explains everything in more detail.

Please follow your doctor's orders as they're there for a reason! Six weeks of rest really is a tiny price to pay for a smooth and uncomplicated recovery. You've only this one chance to heal properly.

Wishing you all the best and take good care of yourself!

Unread 12-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Am I doing too much?

Hi Msalphabet

Pooodle is absolutely right. You have hundreds of internal stitches and doing too much can tear them and cause internal bleeding. You run the risk of abscess or infection, not to mention building scar tissue that can become unbearably painful and require further surgery later. Nobody wants to see that happen! This is the perfect time for you to learn a kind of inner peace through relaxing and letting things go. They'll be there when you're really able to do them, or you can ask someone to do them for you if it bothers you that much. It's good to lean on others once in a while. Please rest and be good to yourself now. You can't turn back the hands of time and redo this recovery over. Put your feet up and enjoy your rest. Good luck to you!

Tracy
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Am I doing too much?

The quoted reference 'Doing too much, too soon' is not a legitimate resource, simply another reader's opinion. While I respect that we need to take time to heal, I do not think linking to other reader's statements are at all helpful and probably even misleading.
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Am I doing too much?

trixieb,

While that page appears to be just "other reader's statements" it reflects EXACTLY what my doctor told me as well as the literature provided to me by the hospital but in layman's terms. I think it is a very helpful resource of this support website. Why else would you become a member of the group if not for information?
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Am I doing too much?

I had my TAH/LSO on Dec. 4th, also, and when I had my 2 week post-op I was surprised to be released for so little by my doctor. She told me no cleaning or laundry still. Still no lifting more than 10 pounds. I had fully expected to be released for "light" housework. I asked if I could walk at a slow rate, for a short duration, on a treadmill... and my doctor even said no! We have steep front stairs... and I'm only allowed to go up and down them once a day!

You need to remember, you still have many internal stitches that are healing and that you could pull or tear. Also, scar tissue and adhesions may be forming in places that it shouldn't. Listen to your body, if it complains (soreness, pain, spotting), it probably means you're doing too much.

My doctor told me... it's better to take the time and heal properly now, rather than be back in her office in a few months needing surgery to repair the scar tissue and adhesions.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Am I doing too much?

I agree, any link that correctly identifies information is a useful tool for this website. Knowledge is power. I did too much the first 6 weeks and still feel it 6 months later. Just yesterday I had some stabbing pains in my incision area. I wish that I would have rested more.

Wendy Stuck
TAH
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Am I doing too much?

Check the upper left hand corner of this page, under the title, for Hysterectomy Checkpoints. Please use those.

This is a great time to Pamper the Princess and for others to learn that you are not Superwoman. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register