Am I doing too much? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I doing too much? Am I doing too much?

Unread 12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
am i doing too much

Thank you for all your replies. I dont want to hurt myself but I have felt so good - so much better than I thought I would, I guess I just thought I could do more than I am ready to. I have not even thought about internal stitches - sounds silly but I just did not consider what I could be doing on the inside of me.
Thank you for your replies and God bless the princesses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Am I doing too much?

I agree with the above advice - stop doing so much or you could be headed for trouble. It sounds to me like your Dr was not insistant or clear enough with her insructions to you - mine certainly was! I am 6+ weeks out and still have soreness and pulling and get very tired. I will not go back to work until after New Years (7 weeks total) and only for half days at that. And I have a desk job! Please take the time to read all the articles under the Post-op tab above about the consequences of not following the Dr's advice. At this point you still shouldn't be bending at all - certainly NOT scrubbing showers on your hands and knees!!! Not even vacuming for the first month at least. Lifting should only be 5 pounds or less and you should only climb stairs once a day. Be smart - it's not worth ending up back in th hospital again.
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Am I doing too much?

I will be a week out tomorrow and sitting for to long hurts please take it easy one of the ladies in my office told my DH that my biggest issue will be that I will not be in charge..... I just realized I am I have chosen as difficult as it is to allow the dust bunnies to stick their tongue out at me.... I will get them but not today not for a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Am I doing too much?

My doctor did not say anything about NOT climbing stairs. I admit in the first few days after having a TAH, when I got up or down out of bed, it felt quite painful. Now it's not too bad. My doctor said that I may go back to work (desk job) after 3 weeks. The sheet of paper from his office also said that I could have sex after 2 weeks, which seems pretty early to me. I was also given the green light for driving 3 or 4 days post-op (as long as I wasn't on pain meds).

All in all, I see there's quite a bit of variation about what doctors say, which probably depends upon the patient and their condition. I am 49 and had a TAH on 12/17, leaving ovaries. I am in quite active condition and I'm confident that I'll heal quickly. Today I got up, drank coffee, went for a walk, went to the library and carried a large stack of books, held a wrench down while my husband replaced a belt on the car, fixed quesadillas (my husband cut all the veggies and grated the cheeze), and had a fairly regular day. I am tired now, more so than before the surgery. I fully expect to sleep well and be ready to get up and have another semi-active day.

I respect everyone's right to recover at their own speed, but I do not think that quoting articles that do not have references is legit. My doctor did not give me these type of instructions and I believe I'm doing fine.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Am I doing too much?

Trixie, you're right that everyone heals differently, but given all the information I've read (in books and on other sites in addition to hyster sisters), I think I might get a 2nd opinion on the driving and the sex. Two weeks sounds awfully early (as you said). I'm 40 years old, work out regularly and am in excellent physical condition, yet I'm still not allowed to lift anything heavier than 10lbs until week 6, or have sex for the full 6 weeks, although at my 2 week checkup I got the green light for other sexual activities - - - just no intercourse. My doc said I could drive at my 2 week checkup. I feel like I've healed quite well, yet there's no way I'd want to risk doing internal damage (even though I feel okay) by doing too much. It's simply not worth it. Best wishes for a healthy recovery.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Am I doing too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalphabet
Hi All
I am 3 weeks post op and think I am doing great! I am taking 800mg of Motrin a day - sometimes 2x but that is it. I have not had any major issues with pain, infection or anything. I do have a little rash around my incision but is clearing up after I started blow drying after washing.
I feel so good but think I may be overdoing it. I do not want to be stupid and do anything to set myself back, but I also just cant sit here and do nothing. I have been going up and down stairs since 1 week post op. I have lifted a few things that may have been too heavy but so far have not felt any effects. If I feel like I can do it, can I? I am walking each day. Have been shopping and out to eat. I am doing some house chores - actually scrubbed the shower floor on hands and knees the other day. I was VERY sore after and took another motrin. Can I be hurting myself and not realize it? I am tired all the time, and waking up after about 4-5 hours of sleep but did this prior to surgery so am used to it.
I had a TAH Dec. 4th
Thank you and God bless you!
I just wanted to take a moment and re-quote the (((sister))) who started this thread, because IMHO the thread is about (((msalphabet))), not about our HS articles, and any authority they may represent.

As the other members have already said, yes -- it's possible that you are hurting yourself. You don't have to have "pain" to be setting your recovery back. I still wonder if an ill-fated shopping trip I made at 3-1/2 weeks post-op led to a serious complication (in the form of a large hematoma) I suffered later. It was not pretty.

You are still very early in your recovery. And just because your doctor didn't say you shouldn't do a particular thing doesn't mean you should do it. Similarly, if the doctor said it WAS all right to do something and your body is saying "no" -- you need to stop it.

There's just no way a doctor can list *every* conceivable activity and say "yes" or "no" to it. You are expected to use your best judgment and know when to say "no" to yourself, at least to some degree. And that's where your (((sisters))) can be of great assistance, because so many of us have been where you are!

There are very wide differences in what doctors will allow at different stages. Some say no driving for a week, others for the entire six-week recovery stage. Some say no lifting of over 25 pounds; some say no more than 10 pounds. Some say no stairs for two weeks; others say you can climb stairs right away.

Why? It's not because the doctors are unsure of what to do -- it's because each patient is different. Some of us have had bladder repairs, tummy tucks, panniculectomies (I had one of these), appendectomies, and other procedures along with the hysterectomy. Or you may have had previous surgeries or other medical conditions which mean you have a compromised system and need to be more careful during the healing process.

The key is to follow your doc's orders, and if you feel you're doing too much, *slow down* without delay. Don't "should" yourself (you know, something like "I 'should' be able to do laundry -- the doctor only said I couldn't vacuum) and if you feel like you're having new pain or really going backward in recovery, call the doctor and get seen.

Hope this helps. You're worth being pampered...the housework will wait. Believe me on that one. In fact, I have heard that the dust bunnies like making friends, and you can even name them if you want. They won't mind.
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Am I doing too much?

I do agree that every doctor seems to vary their instructions a little bit. An example: I've seen some sisters mention that their doctor ok'd the use of a treadmill as soon as 2 weeks. Not mine, she told me that it's not worth running the risk of adhesions.

A lot of the doctors' orders really do seem almost universal, though... lifting restrictions, cleaning restrictions, restrictions on sex. Even the Mayo Clinic's website (and I think they're a pretty well-renowned medical source) says not to lift anything heavy for 4-6 weeks and no sex for 6 weeks!

I think the best answer is... call your doctor's office and ask them what your current restrictions are, if you're not clear on what they should be.
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:50 AM
Am I doing too much?

I do think if you are taking any pain meds at all they could be masking the discomfort that warns you that you are doing too much. I stopped taking meds during the day after 4 days post-op except 600 mg Motrin (I took other meds at night tho to help me sleep), and then stopped all meds after about a week (except at night if I needed it). I did not hesitate taking it if I needed it, I just wanted to keep it slow and easy and it helped to have the reminder of just a little discomfort-- this just worked best for me.

At one point my doc thought I had herniated through my incision because I was doing too much -as I felt good.

I try to remember to move slowly and not to lift or stoop or squat. It's really difficult especially when you are feeling good, but I truly believe that the impact that being conservative now will have on your life is so worth it. How quickly are we really healing on the inside? We really don't know. We need to heal from the inside out --and only time will tell.

While I normally am extremely active and run, swim, bike, lift weights, do push-ups etc, I don't believe this means my inner tissues will heal faster than someone elses. I recline a lot and walk a lot but more slowly and with lots of breaks where I put my feet up. If anything, I have been worried that I like to push through a workout too much and might not be listening to my body or that my abdominal muscles might be pulling on my stitches (and causing little tears) because I am so used to using them. I don't recommend being stressed out about it, but realize what is happening in your body right now and just like a broken bone takes 6 weeks to heal with no complications, tissues take us all pretty much the same amount of time to heal. Keeping activities conservative and eating a good diet with good vitamins are probably the only things that can speed the healing process.

Everyone here has taught me so much and I am trying to listen to their experience. I have more faith in these women than I do in most doctors (though they all would say talk to your doc for answers too). My doc had surgery the day after she did mine, and I had 3 differing recovery opinions from the docs who took her place on very important issues (I had SAH and one said I could have sex right away...he also said to take off the sterry strips at 5 days post op, and also that if I did too much it probably would not effect my recovery). I take it all with a grain of salt and I listen the most to you all and to my common sense.
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Am I doing too much?

I too have been wondering if I am doing to much! I had LAVH on 12/11, and everyday I have spotting. I too take 600 mg of Ibuprophen a couple of times a day. Yesterday I drove to the store which is two minutes from my house and was sore after. It is very frustrating. Maybe I should be taking it easy as well. I understand what you are going through! Best wishes for your recovery. )
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Am I doing too much?

My surgeon said I could drive in week 2 - but not alone.

And I used my tummy pillow when driving for a good two months!

REALLY helps keep incision owies away. Get a pillow that's about the size of a travel pillow, and do your seatbelt over it.

My mom and I found a nice denim-design covered one that was $1.00 less than the actual travel pillows near the checkout! It was a whole $3.99.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register