serious warning--Pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

serious warning--Pain meds serious warning--Pain meds

Unread 12-26-2007, 12:29 PM
serious warning--Pain meds

I feel I have learned a huge lessons since my TVH 2 weeks ago and feel compelled to give you a warning.

I was prescribed oxicodone for pain and came home with 25 pills. I have never taken any meds like this before or even had any in my house. My husband took very good care of me and would always get my meds and a few days post op he noticed several of my pain pills were gone. Because he had taken such good notes on what meds I had taken, is very observant, and b/c I knew I had only taken 3 of the pill at the time--we knew 9 pills were missing. Unfortunately we had left the pills, along with the ibuprophen and aleve I was taking on the cabinet so that it was easily accessable.

When it was discoverd they were missing, we were positive on who had been in the kitchen--other than my us and our kids, only 2 other people. After much heart break and confrontation that I will not go in to, we learned an extended family member had taken the 9 pills. Now, I will assure you it was someone who I NEVER thought would do something like that. I do not feel this person is a drug addict, but I think they saw a pill bottle sitting there with OXICODONE on it and the temptation was great--for what not sure, pain, a high, or to sell. ?????? This is a young adult. They had a reason but that doesnt matter. They say they took one and got scared and flushed the rest--I hope so.

I have learned a huge lesson in that we should have never had these sitting out. You can believe they are now hid--no where even close to other meds. I have teens in my house and will not ever take a risk of that type of meds being in the wrong hands again.

This was a very heartbreaking situation--keep your strong meds put up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 12:39 PM

rt

I am sorry byou had to go thru this. but I am glad it was'nt your kids... meds should always be kept out of the medicen cabinet people get tempted and a lot fall.

hope that you are recovering well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3773
I feel I have learned a huge lessons since my TVH 2 weeks ago and feel compelled to give you a warning.

I was prescribed oxicodone for pain and came home with 25 pills. I have never taken any meds like this before or even had any in my house. My husband took very good care of me and would always get my meds and a few days post op he noticed several of my pain pills were gone. Because he had taken such good notes on what meds I had taken, is very observant, and b/c I knew I had only taken 3 of the pill at the time--we knew 9 pills were missing. Unfortunately we had left the pills, along with the ibuprophen and aleve I was taking on the cabinet so that it was easily accessable.

When it was discoverd they were missing, we were positive on who had been in the kitchen--other than my us and our kids, only 2 other people. After much heart break and confrontation that I will not go in to, we learned an extended family member had taken the 9 pills. Now, I will assure you it was someone who I NEVER thought would do something like that. I do not feel this person is a drug addict, but I think they saw a pill bottle sitting there with OXICODONE on it and the temptation was great--for what not sure, pain, a high, or to sell. ?????? This is a young adult. They had a reason but that doesnt matter. They say they took one and got scared and flushed the rest--I hope so.

I have learned a huge lesson in that we should have never had these sitting out. You can believe they are now hid--no where even close to other meds. I have teens in my house and will not ever take a risk of that type of meds being in the wrong hands again.

This was a very heartbreaking situation--keep your strong meds put up!

Seeing your story hit home.My TAH was on Dec5th.(wednesday)on sunday I decided to attend church services. I was sent home with Percocet(30).After returning home There were 10 of my pills gone.I had left them on my desk.A family member that has a key came by while I was gone and did up the few dishes in my sink and made my bed.I know this person has a medical condition which causes a lot of pain and usually runs out of there on meds before they can refill there on.Yes it broke my heart.I had just had major surgery and didn't have enough pills to get thru but a few days. I hate taking any kind of strong medications because I have watched this family member becoming addicted. I have also learned to put my pills away. It is just a shame that all of this goes on. Hope you are feeling well and had a wonderful christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hey,
Thanks for the warning, I have already been hit up by a family member about her buying some of my pain pills? WHAT?? I have not even had surgery and I don't know what kind of condition I am going to be in. I have always had a pretty strong pain threshold and try and take limited amount of my medication. I don't like the feeling of being not 100% there. I just told her I am not a drug dealer and I am going to need what ever they give me Can you believe that? I was given Vicodin after my cold cone and 3 ended up missing I wasn't sure if "H" took them but now I think it was this person. I guess it is just one more thing we have to worry about.
Unread 12-26-2007, 01:33 PM

Unfortunately pain medication abuse has become very prevailent. Kids will actually have med parties where they all gather medications they can find in their own homes, and throw them all together in a bowl where they can all help themselves to whatever color, size, and shape looks of interest to them. It's a sad situation but very real.

Sadly it's not just kids who find prescriptions to be such a temptation, and it can be a real danger, not to mention a liability.

Thanks to rt for bringing up the issue, and let's all be aware that we should watch our pills very closely, and keep them under lock and key for the safety and well being of those around us.

Tracy
Unread 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM

I took precaution from day one. I don't even keep them in the medicine cabinet
Unread 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM

My nephew had oxycontin prescribed to him after he was hurt in a golf cart accident. He got addicted to it and then turned to selling to support his addiction. He was the cleanest cut kid you ever saw. Never in trouble a day in his life. He was a biology teacher and got caught in a sting when he tried to sell 10 pills for $600 to an undercover cop. He has lost his job, his house and pretty much all of his life. He will be going to jail soon for 2 years in the state facilities. My sister is an emotional wreck over this. He has been to rehab and is clean but he has totally ruined his whole life because of his addiction. I would never take an oxycontin pill for any amount of money-- or pain. I am even afraid of Percocet. I don't even know why doctors still prescribe either because they are so addictive and have ruined so many otherwise nice people. Please--- ask for some other kind of pain medication and be sure to follow instructions carefully and use the least amount of pain killers that you need to be comfortable.

Downyocean.

PS. Pray for my nephew, he really has screwed up big time.
Unread 12-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Pain pills are one of the worst addictions in school age children and adults....the rehabs now a days are filled with people who developed an addiction to pain meds...they are now crushed to give you a heroin like high, they are snorted,chewed, smoked and very attractive to school age kids because they probably all know someone who will give them anywhere from $20-60 for a pill......like any other drugs their bodies become tolerant thus they have to double, triple their doses before you know it...this will lead to them stealing and lying to get what they need or they will get sick...there have even been a few docs in my area who are being bought up on charges of overprescribing and selling pain meds...it has become an epidemic and very scary.....in the last year I can say of about 20 or 30 people in my town from 18-48 who have died because of pill overdose.....most of these kids are from wealthy families, nice cars, college bound or in college and it is crazy...very scary situation....also, rt3773, you may want to take a closer look at this extended family member.....they may have a serious habit if they are willing to steal from family......weight loss, loss of appetite, loss of ambition, sleep alot or could be opposite and be awake all kinds of crazy hours....money or other valuables missing.....sometimes they cry out for help without really doing so.....good luck and thanks for the important message!!
Unread 12-26-2007, 04:44 PM
how sad

I'm so sorry and afraid to hear your story. I am scheduled for a LSH on January 14 so pray for me. I had 3-c-sections and the doctor said it will not be easy, i have alot of adhestions. After a LSH what will I be sent home with if anything?
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Hi Happy

Generally they send you home from the hospital with prescriptions for Percocet, or some comparable narcotic, as well as Ibuprofen 800mg. If you follow doctors orders, get good rest, drink lots of water, and take short walks, you won't need too much of either of these for too long. Good luck to you. It will be behind you before you know it!

Downy, I'll keep your nephew in my prayers. I'm sorry to hear of the situation. My cousin's son is in the same boat, and stole oxycontin from my dying mother's bedside table when I wasn't looking. It puts us all in a terrible predicament. That's when I learned to lock away the meds. It's always something, isn't it?

Tracy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register