serious warning--Pain meds - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

serious warning--Pain meds serious warning--Pain meds

Unread 12-26-2007, 07:53 PM
serious warning--Pain meds

Thank you, Tracy. He is willing to pay for his stupidity but my poor sister is going to die of a broken heart. We are all school teachers and know that we must be held to higher standards. We are looking at this as his being bad at dealing eventually saved his life. He is back to his sweet old self after rehab. We just want for it to be over for him. He is awaiting trial.

This drug--- oxycontin is more addictive than anything else out there and people will do anything to get it once they are hooked. I live in a rural county in NC and it is very popular here and the crime and prostitition level is unbelievable for this type of locale.

So again. Ladies, take the meds that the doctor prescribes BUT only in the smallest amount needed to ease your pain and then only for the shortest possible time needed. I haven't discussed this with my DR yet but I will and I will hope that I can make it with just extra strength tylenol or something like that.

Downyocean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Very sad when you can't even trust your family member. He needs your support and love. I have learned that addicts are really the only ones that can help themselves when they have hit bottom if they ever do.

I have a brother that passed away. This March will be 4 yrs. He was 33 and died in his sleep. My parents ended up having a toxicology report done due to his addiction to any pain pills. When the results came back he had Oxycontin in his stomach contents, but not in his blood. So he must of consumed them shortly before laying down. He passed of an enlarged heart, and a new onset of bronchial pnuemonia. Very sad day for our family. Sadly his daughter at the time had just turned 1. He had not seen her for 6 months because of his addiction.

I have been taking Percocet and Tramadol for 3 months. To be honest I can not wait to not need them. I take a half every 5-6 hrs even though the script says 1 every 4 hrs as needed. I like being coherent.

Many prayers to those that have been affected by this sort of situation.
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:23 PM

WOW, opens my eyes too. I have a DD and her friends are not allowed in my room but you never know! Even though I would swear on my life my DD wouldn't steal any pain meds for herself or for anyone else, one never knows. I would be stupid not to keep my eyes open and keep meds hidden away.. I had hernia surgery in 2003, the friend who took me home from the out patient hospital ended up stealing over a dozen or more of my vicos that day. I found out because she was laying on the end of my bed and the pockets of her summer dress couldn't contain the stolen pills as she lay flat and some ended up on my bed and floor, took me a minute to figure it out. She told me there were for her ex boyfriend who she was trying to woe back. Why she wanted to steal for an ex is beyond me. She is no longer in my life thank GOD! I really think they were for her. A side note I am so happy I don't have to take vicos any longer since my hyster, I had pain for years before surgery. Thanks again for the posts/threads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 11:31 PM

My immediate thought when I saw your subject line was going to be that the pain meds cause SEVERE constipation!! :-) That's what happened to me. It was brutal.
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:35 PM

Thank Goodness for stool softeners and Milk of Mag , they saved me!!
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:28 AM

My doctor's instructions for me was, 2 extra strength tylenol and an advil (taken together), 3 times a day. I only took them twice a day.......that's all I needed.

So sometimes OTC meds work well and there's no need for anything stronger.
Unread 12-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Something else to consider is disposing of any unused RX. This is long and involved but on topic. Uncle-in-law died of cancer three years ago. MIL brought his left over pain meds home because "you can never get to a doctor when you need pain meds." Idiot. FIL has one along with one of his antianxiety meds and went to the grocery store. He completely blacked out and doesn't remember the trip. He crossed the center line and knocked down a power pole. He got out of the car and was handling the power line. How he wasn't killed is beyond me. He got a slap on the wrist and doesn't take the situation seriously at all. I have lost all respect for him as he has since mixed meds.
Unread 12-30-2007, 01:58 PM

I was given a scrip for 60 vicodins, but elected to come home only with Advil, and did just fine -- even through all my complications. I think this is a good warning for everyone, however. People all thought I was nuts for not filling the scrip and telling the pharmacist to cancel it, but I'm just not into pain meds, I guess. They make me hallucinate and I hate that feeling.

d.
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Well...not too long after I posted, my DS's, 23 year old friend, died of an overdose of Oxycontin and Xanax...went to sleep, Dec 30th and never woke up....another tragedy...these kids think that it is not going to happen to them...but it does, each week, it seems, someone else...
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM

I find the Oxicondone "thang" to be funny. Why? Because I was given them as well, and felt absoutely NO effect from them. Nothing. With or without them, same thing. No pain.

I took half a dose for a couple of days....then flushed the rest.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you had negative experiences with the med.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register