serious warning--Pain meds - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

serious warning--Pain meds serious warning--Pain meds

Unread 01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
serious warning--Pain meds

Well....it has just become a nationwide epidemic of abuse for many young kids as well as adults.....they have 10, 20, 40, 80mg....these kids crush, chew, snort and shoot them up for a faster, heroin like high....they found a lot of people in their 30's and 40's to be abusing them also.....so I think this thread is also about the dangers of leaving meds around....these kids are getting between 40 and 60dollars per pill on the streets and in their schools...xanax, and also alot of ADHD meds are being abused the same way.....getting too out of hand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 12:57 AM

Thanks for this post. My husband and I are in the process of adopting foster kids, and although our case worker says the kids are old enough that we don't have to keep medicine's locked away, it's still something I've been concerned about. I've been on oxycodone for menstrual pain for the last 5 - 6 months, and just had my TAH/BSO + appendectomy this week. I'm still in the hospital, and it will be several months before the kids are placed with us. I don't expect to still be on any type of narcotic at that time, but this definitely gives me reason to be concerned for my (future) children. I will definitely keep our stronger meds locked up.

I also had a scare last week when I couldn't find the oxycodone I had for the menstrual pain. I started my last period just days before my surgery, and *all* our prescription medicine (including the dog's pills) had seemingly disappeared. The only people who come in our house beside us are DH's teenage son and his gf, and they are over only every other weekend. Fortunately, DH found the medicines right where they were supposed to be - just knocked over so I couldn't see them.
Unread 01-10-2008, 05:09 AM

[quote=sommerdal]Thanks for this post. My husband and I are in the process of adopting foster kids, and although our case worker says the kids are old enough that we don't have to keep medicine's locked away, it's still something I've been concerned about. I've been on oxycodone for menstrual pain for the last 5 - 6 months, and just had my TAH/BSO + appendectomy this week. I'm still in the hospital, and it will be several months before the kids are placed with us. I don't expect to still be on any type of narcotic at that time, but this definitely gives me reason to be concerned for my (future) children. I will definitely keep our stronger meds locked up.

Sommerdal, good luck with your recouping....congrats on the adoption, hope all goes well and now, after healing, you will be free from pain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2008, 08:15 AM

To everyone who has had this problem: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful.

Until you have dealt with a druggy, you have NO idea what they are capable of.

This past summer my husband and I took in my very best friend until she could get back on her feet. We didn't know that in the past few years, she had developed a MAJOR prescription drug problem.

Long story short, we ended up having to kick her out for selling drugs. Since then, she has embarked on a campaign of slander, liable and harassment.

Monday morning, my husband, I and our neighbors have to go down to the prosecuting attorneys office to assure him that my husband did not try to rape my former friend, he and I do not have an 'open' marriage, and he has not gotten our neighbor pregnant. Luckily for us, I have a list of the prescriptions she has (22 in all), the letter she sent me threatening to file false charges against me if I didn't give her money, and the neighbor she claims he got pregnant had a tubal ligation over two years ago.

If someone will steal your pain meds, assume they have a problem and protect yourself! You would not believe the nightmares this type of person can cause.
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:10 PM

One of my dirvers made a comment today about disposal of prescription drugs. He said that he heard that you should not flush them (it can affect fish ...I flushed mine....guess we have soem "happy" fish), instead, dispose of them in your dog or cats poop.

Now, a true druggie may still "wash" them off and take them, but who would think to look in poop?
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Flushing is definitely not the way to go, neither is putting them in animal poop. There are other animals out there that do like the taste of doo-doo and one could ingest the medication and die. Please check with your local pharmacist about medication disposal. I am a pharmacist and our local Walgreens have a twice yearly "Medication Disposal Day" where we partner with a local facility that will properly dispose of unwanted medications for members of our community. This is a local service and not something Walgreens does nationally so something similar may or may not occur in your area. In between times, we refer people to our local law enforcement officials, as our state police post and city police HQ will both accept unwanted medications for proper disposal.

KellyB
TAH 12-10-07, cervical dysplasia and polyps, kept one ovary
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM

Wow, it's amazing how people can get hooked on these meds. Personally I don't care for meds at all as most aren't tested over any length of time. Look how many are being pulled off the market, oops, did further testing, found out it can kill ya. YIKES! As for the people getting hooked on these pain meds, wow. That's so sad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register