Bad Hospital, or just me? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Hospital, or just me? Bad Hospital, or just me?

Unread 12-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Bad Hospital, or just me?

Overall my hospital stay was very good. I only had to stay one night so I did not spend alot of time there. I only had one nurse that was kind of cranky, everyone else was great. When I took a shower they changed my sheets and also my room was mopped and cleaned. They checked on me very frequent to make sure I did not need anything. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Good luck with your recovery.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 09:06 PM

I also had a terrible time with just a one day stay in the hospital and trust me when I say terrible the nurses were so rude I got pretty rude right back then they changed their tune. I am still waiting because they always send a letter to you and ask about your stay they are going to hear an earful. I did have one night nurse that was a sweetheart but I wil never go back to that hospital again.
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbabe
I, too, experienced a lack of care and concern during the overnight stay that I had following my hysterectomy.

I was in a room with a patient who had a total knee replacement and her PT staff pushed me and my bed into the wall! I also had to get the security guard (a visitor) to beg for a basin of warm water to wash my face the morning after surgery.

I was so upset by the lack of nursing care (I work in a hospital) that I attached a 2 page commentary to the hospital survey I received. Hopefully, it was sent on to someone who can make changes because they are badly needed.

TVH with BSO 11/29/07
I also had a terrible time, I went online and emailed everyone that was on the hospitals website with my issues!!! I urge everyone to not only fill out the survey they mail you, but look up the hospital online and fuss like MAD until you get a reply!!! I even went to the local newspapers blog and fussed about the terrible care to no end there too!!! I kicked up a fuss and found out I was not alone!!! GOOD LUCK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:06 AM

I am so sorry that you did not experience the same level of care I did. I would definitely be making sure someone was aware of the atrocious care you recieved.
I guess I'm thankful for living in stickville. I had more problems with my doctor than any of the hospital staff. The nurses were incredibly attentive. The only time I had to use the call button was when my morphine spinal had wore off. (which my nurse was waiting for) Once they knew how long the IV demoral would last, they were in like clockwork to shoot some more. Any other time I needed them they were there before I could hit the button.
I hate hospital stays and since my doctor neglected to tell me I would be staying, (he made it sound outpatient)I found out when I was checking in that I was being admitting. The nurses knew I wasn't comfortable being there. They gave my DH tons of information (since I was still a little loopy) on how he could help me after we returned home.
My incredible nurses even assisted me laying on my side hours after surgery. (I hate being on my back) They explained all the fun little gadgets that were to assist in my recovery and and packed them up for me before discharge.(I even have the warming massaging thingies they put on your legs).
I know alot of people are mortified by recovering from a hysterectomy on the maternity floor, but I do believe it makes all the difference. I also attached pages to my survey, only because they didn't give me enough room to praise each of my 8 nurses.
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presouz
I also had a terrible time, I went online and emailed everyone that was on the hospitals website with my issues!!! I urge everyone to not only fill out the survey they mail you, but look up the hospital online and fuss like MAD until you get a reply!!! I even went to the local newspapers blog and fussed about the terrible care to no end there too!!! I kicked up a fuss and found out I was not alone!!! GOOD LUCK!!
Well that is a very good plan. Thanks
Unread 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about the substandard care that you received!

I wouldn't classify the care from my hospital is being treated like royalty, but it wasn't horrible, either. My first day, the nurses were very good about medicating me right on schedule and they were pretty attentive. Not sure why, but none of them figured out that they should fill the large, insulated mug that they gave me - instead, every now and then they'd bring me a styrofoam cup of ice water. Throughout the first night, I didn't sleep well and my night nurse was friendly and chatted with me for a bit. My biggest issue during my first 24 hours was that they were terrible about checking my catheter and measuring my output. Once, they kinked the line and my bladder wasn't draining and it was becoming distended.

The second day, though, when my IV was hep-locked and the catheter was removed, is when things started slipping a bit. Dietary couldn't get it straight that I was off liquid diet - breakfast, lunch and dinner all came in liquid form and I had to send them back. Once, I ended up with a pediatric dinner of diced turkey. As soon as I was on oral pain meds, I found that I had to call and ask for them - and at least once, there was some confusion over how soon I could have them (even though I kept track in my head). No one would check my urine collector, and DH wasn't with me that day, so I had to call the nurse's station every other time that I went to the bathroom, because my collector would be full.

But housekeeping did come in and damp mop my floor and empty my trash cans, at least... and if I needed help in the bathroom, there were call buttons next to the toilet and in the shower.

Please be sure to report your care to Quality Assurance at the hospital, and if your hospital care was really horrendous, I'd consider maybe even writing a letter to whomever accredits your local hospital and maybe your insurance company, as well.
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Thank You

Thank you all for the overwhelming responses. I will take on your advice. I have spoken to the floor charge nurse and will be addressing my concerns with our local paper and in my survey. Thanks again for the support ladies.
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Bad hospital stay

Had my surgery at a large teaching hospital here in cal. One of the largest.
Stayed 3 nites, 4 days. Treated very bad..never changed my sheets once! My husband finally has to ask the nurse if she could give me a sponge bath.
He slept in the room on a hard recliner. They did not even bring more blankets or pillows.'
then they charged my insurance co. 70K for the whole ordeal.
My local hospital (where I am having chemo tr) is wonderful!! Bring me food and drinks whenever I ask and the nurses are wonderful.
Kudos to ukiah valley medical center.
Unread 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Mare, I am so sorry you had a terrible time at the hospital....like some of the posters here, I had the opposite experience--partly it was the hospital I stayed in, partly it was the highly respected doctor who was in charge of my case...but I'm also pretty sure the fact that my husband was there 24/7 in my room helped an awful lot too--they all knew someone was watching! I strongly urge you to do as some of the other posters here advised: COMPLAIN, and complain to everyone who will listen, including the media if necessary. There is no excuse whatsoever for the lack of/poor quality care you received, and maybe you should consider doing whatever you can do to try not having it happen to someone else. Write letters to the Nursing Director of the hospital, to the Administrator, to your doctor--and then follow these up with telephone calls and demand a response--however nicely or not-so-nicely you feel called to do. When you consider how much money hospitals and doctors make, not to mention that LIVES/people's immediate and long-term futures are at stake, none of us should EVER tolerate shoddy, or less than perfect (as far as is humanly possible) care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register