Ok, spotting/discharge... how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok, spotting/discharge... how long? Ok, spotting/discharge... how long?

Unread 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok, spotting/discharge... how long?

You may recall that my boss was seriously counting on me being back as of my 2 week post-op appointment. Even though we'd only had a conversation about how she thought I'd be fine to come in for a couple of hours a day at 2 weeks, she told my co-workers that we had an agreement that I'd be back in the office for 2 hours a day by that point. Like anyone in their right mind would make such an agreement pre-op.

Well, of course, I wasn't back. I've had a whole roller-coaster-ride over that. At first my boss called from the road and said, "Oh, I just need you to come in for a couple of hours on Dec. 28th." (This was before my 2-week pre-op appointment.) Then, 2 days later, she called me having a fit that I wasn't in the office on 12/21. Then she changed her tone when she found out that I was spotting - said that that's dangerous and I shouldn't be in the office - and ordered me to stay home and in bed. Now she's switched to the assumption that I'll be back in the office when we open up after the New Year's holiday. I warned her that my doctor didn't say she'd clear me on January 2nd, just that I'm supposed to check back in so she can evaluate my symptoms and decide whether to give me a partial release.

A week ago, when I had my 2 week post-op, my doctor and I were discussing when I might be able to return to work part-time. I asked if I could go back for just part-time hours after 4 weeks, and she said there was no way she could commit to that yet. She wants to talk to me on January 2nd, when I'm 4 weeks post-op, and see how I'm feeling and what my symptoms are. She was very clear that, if I'm having any spotting at all, she absolutely won't release me. I know my doctor's phone policy - the office takes messages during the day, puts them on the doctor's desk, and she gets to the calls after she finishes seeing patients for the day. I always get a return call, but it's often not until evening.

(Something tells me, though, that my boss is going to be on the phone with me the morning of January 2nd, going ballistic when I'm not back in the office, because she'll still be out of town.)

Here I am at 3 weeks... definitely still spotting, having to wear a pantyshield. Dark brown discharge, every time I wipe. Yesterday, it had a red tinge to it after I'd helped out in the kitchen too much. I've had the pretty much constant discharge since 1.5 weeks. Incidentally, haven't seen any thread bits whatsoever.

So, I'm wondering how likely it is that I'll still be spotting this time next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Hi there....I had a TVH on 12/6 and I had my 2 week post op appointment on Friday, 12/21. I'm still spotting as of today. It varies from pink to brown and sometimes has red tinges. I've also seen not one sign of a stitch. My doctor examined me internally on 12/21 and said that I still have a very intact row of stitches that have not yet begun to dissolve. I also had a slight infection causing a mild odor to the discharge. She is not happy that i have this odorous discharge and said that she would like to see me with NO spotting and NO odor prior to my return to work on Jan. 7th. In fact, I have orders to call her on the 2nd or 3rd if I am still spotting to get in there for an exam. My boss is also going to absolutely lose it when she finds out. I still can't believe that our female supervisors are being such a pain right now. I get sick thinking about calling her to let her know that I can't come back on Jan. 2nd and it will be at least Jan.7th. Any suggestions??
Unread 12-27-2007, 09:49 AM

Thanks LeAnn... I know that it's not a fun position to be in, but at least we can commiserate!

I actually just talked to my supervisor on the phone. She's been calling me a few times a week since I've been out, wanting to see how I'm feeling. I know that she's also trying to find out when I'm going to be "back," though.

I've known for the past two weeks that I need to put in a very brief appearance at the office tomorrow, so that the last deposit gets processed for year-end and all the money gets posted to our merchant's accounts. Shouldn't take long, but she was calling to make sure that I could do it - or, worst case scenario, I could make other arrangements so that our IT director could pick up the mail and my assistant could be walked through the process over the phone. I do have to say, it was funny listening to her on the phone, because her tone really has changed. I suspect she's talked to her lawyer. She was telling me, "I need you to take care of this, but you don't need to stay at the office for any length of time. Just make sure the deposit is processed." Then she wanted to know how things were looking for next week - so I reminded her that I have to talk to the doctor first before I get any kind of clearance, so my plan is to call Wednesday morning. I pointed out to her, though, that I have no idea when I'll get a call back - it might not even be Wednesday. So she asked me if I can just make another brief run by the office to at least get the first of the month invoicing run out (which is mostly automated, just a couple merchants that need to be processed manually). She figures it'll take an hour, at most. I told her I thought I could manage that. Heck, if I can sit in church for an hour... or go to the store for an hour... I can sit in my chair at the office and process the invoices. Just as long as everyone is aware that it doesn't mean I'm "back" until the doctor says so.

Ugh... I have rusty red colored spotting this morning, though. I didn't think I did that much yesterday, although I did have lunch with DH at Denny's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Hi, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. When your body is putting forth all of its energy to heal you don't need that kind of stress. I stopped spotting at exactly 5 weeks (post TAH/BSO) and at my 6 week appointment my doctor said I was still not completely healed and put me on "pelvic rest" for 2 additional weeks. There is no way I could have gone back to work after 2 weeks. I really have no words of wisdom or advice to give you but I will pray that God works this situation out and that He will give you and your doctor wisdom as to what to do. Blessings, Lisa
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM

Pam.. I also have some spotting. went to dr. today for a 2 week checkup. He assured me that spotting was normal and that it could last for 4 to 6 weeks. I go back in 4 weeks for final checkup.. i guess Hang in there
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOn
Hi, I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. When your body is putting forth all of its energy to heal you don't need that kind of stress. I stopped spotting at exactly 5 weeks (post TAH/BSO) and at my 6 week appointment my doctor said I was still not completely healed and put me on "pelvic rest" for 2 additional weeks. There is no way I could have gone back to work after 2 weeks. I really have no words of wisdom or advice to give you but I will pray that God works this situation out and that He will give you and your doctor wisdom as to what to do. Blessings, Lisa
Thank you, Lisa. You're exactly right about not needing the stress... my mom has been wondering if I'm spotting so much because of all the stress.

I definitely wasn't able to go back at 2 weeks and just had to put my foot down. My supervisor was recalling her TAH and claimed that she felt great and wanted to work by then... and I just finally told her, "You know, it's great that your recovery was so fast. My doctor says my recovery isn't going quite that fast, and she has concerns (and I ended up getting very graphic with her), so she's not even willing to release me for a couple of hours a day yet." God has worked it out (and I should mention that my employers, like me, are believers) and so far, my boss has backed off sufficiently and I'm very thankful. I'm just not sure how well my supervisor will take it if I'm still not cleared for part-time come next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alafady
Pam.. I also have some spotting. went to dr. today for a 2 week checkup. He assured me that spotting was normal and that it could last for 4 to 6 weeks. I go back in 4 weeks for final checkup.. i guess Hang in there
Thank you for sharing what you're experiencing. Yes, my doctor told me that some light spotting was normal... but she doesn't like the fact that I've got a steady, non-stop discharge that's dark brown to rust-colored red. Thankfully, it doesn't have a foul odor, so there doesn't seem to be an infection. My doctor doesn't want to take a look at the cuff yet (she told me that Nothing In the Vagina for Six Weeks includes her gloved hands and instruments, too), but at my 2 week appointment she ruled that I'm still not ready to come off of most of my restrictions, either. The best I got was permission to drive and permission to go down our front stairs once a day.
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM

Tam -

I am 7+ weeks post op and just yesterday and today my discharge is minimal. It has been steady up until just now. The last 2 days it has been on and off.

I'm glad your boss is being more reasonable.

Starbgirl
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbgirl
Tam -

I am 7+ weeks post op and just yesterday and today my discharge is minimal. It has been steady up until just now. The last 2 days it has been on and off.

I'm glad your boss is being more reasonable.

Starbgirl
Thank you! Wow... so it may still be with me even after my 6 week post-op. Well, surely, I'll at least be cleared for work at that point. I'm really getting tired of panty shields, though!

You have no idea what it took to get my boss to this point... she had me on a real rollercoaster ride last week! At one point, I was bawling my eyes out to my husband, friends, etc. First, she told me one thing on Wednesday the 19th, and by Friday the 21st, she was on an entirely different page! I'm so relieved that she's reached the point where she's giving me advice to relax, take it easy, and not push myself.
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through all this with work. Your supervisor sounds very manipulative and not very organized. My boss and I knew I would be gone over the crucial year-end, and we prepared for that (although I expect some phone calls next Monday at home). And by "we", I mean that I could only prepare for year-end on my own to a certain point. Since I was gone, I needed her input and help on year-end matters before I left. My bosses organizational skills are what is keeping the office from calling me everyday!

I'm so grateful that my boss puts my well-being over her own personal needs.
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinee
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through all this with work. Your supervisor sounds very manipulative and not very organized. My boss and I knew I would be gone over the crucial year-end, and we prepared for that (although I expect some phone calls next Monday at home). And by "we", I mean that I could only prepare for year-end on my own to a certain point. Since I was gone, I needed her input and help on year-end matters before I left. My bosses organizational skills are what is keeping the office from calling me everyday!

I'm so grateful that my boss puts my well-being over her own personal needs.
Thank you for your sympathy!

I specifically planned my surgery for the month of December because it's the slowest time in our office and I'd have the added benefit of paid holidays eating up some of the time I'd be out of the office. As of my sitting down with my doctor to schedule and then notifying my supervisor, she and her husband hadn't announced that they were going to go out of town, either.

The problem I have is that my boss wasn't about to let my surgery get in the way of her being able to go out of town for the holidays (she didn't want me to have more than 2 weeks recovery so she could take 2.5 weeks for her holiday vacation). As a result, she's gone (she's the CFO), I'm gone (I'm the office manager), and the only administrative staff that is left in the office is my office assistant, who has only been with us for 2 months now (and most of a month of that, I've been out on leave).

Last week, at the height of my work-related stress, she made the statement, "Well, if I had known this would happen, I'd have never left town!" Of course this would happen... I had major surgery with a 6 week recovery, and I'd warned her in advance (as recently as the week before she left) that my doctor wouldn't want to release me so soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register