1 week post-op and pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post-op and pain 1 week post-op and pain

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
1 week post-op and pain

I had a tvh on 12/19 and left my ovaries. I had a great hospital stay and went home the next evening after surgery as soon as I could pass gas and walk a little.
My Dr sent me home with Tylenol 3 with codeine up to every 4 hours and Motrin 800 up to every 8 hours.
I've tried to keep up with the Motrin and used the Tylenol sparingly as needed for excessive pain. Now I'm almost out of the Tylenol and tried to manage today just on the Motrin and had a lot of achy burning pain. I'm wondering if I should ask my Dr for a refill on the Tylenol 3 or if there's something that has worked well for others. I can't take vicodin - makes me sick.
Also, I seem to have light red tinged bleeding throughout the day. Is that still normal? When will the gas pains subside?
Thanks to everyone on this site - I don't post often, but learn lots from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
1 week post-op and pain

First the easy part, gas pains...gas X. The gas pain does get better after you start having regular BM's. DH stopped at pharmacy on the way home from the castle for Gas X and stool softeners.
If you are still in pain that Motrin will not manage, by all means ask for another script of Tylenol 3's. I was sent home with Tylox (oxycontin),at 1 week post op dr gave me another script(he tried to originally refill the script, but narcotics can not be given by refill). I still have most of the second script and only took them when I knew I have done too much.
When asking for the new Rx, check with your doctor about the bleeding. I believe I was still spotting at 1 week post op but it let up soon after.
Hope this helps and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:23 AM
1 week post-op and pain

Welcome to the other side!

You should probably contact your dr and ask her/him what your next step in pain management should be, which of course may include a refill on the Tylenol w/codeine. I can tell you my experience, though. I was sent home with 800 ibuprofen and some percosets. When I ran out of the percosets at week 2, I switched to regular tylenol. The percosets managed the pain better, but were very constipating. That resulted in excess gas and extra pain (it's my understanding that many narcotics are constipating). There are times now where the tylenol and ibuprofen alone do not manage the pain well enough, but I prefer that to the foggy-headed/gassy feeling I had with the percosets.

The bleeding is most likely normal. I had mostly spotting that started red, then turned darker. My doc said that was normal for the first 6 weeks, as long as I wasn't going through 1 pad each hour.

As for gas, that took about 2 weeks to subside for me, and that happened once my BMs were regular. Drinking lots of water helped and walking will help. Prune juice was a big help for me. I couldn't stand that taste, but it defintely made things regular! Colace (a stool softener) was also helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 09:26 AM
1 week post-op and pain

Thank you! Luckily from the site I learned to pick up Gas-x (I even read and got the minty dissolving kind -yum!) and have been taking stool softeners twice a day since day 1. I was just worried that I maybe shouldn't be asking for a narcotic refill at this point, but my Dr is going on vaca and today is her last day in, so I felt pressured to make the decision. Another RX note, she also gave me ambien which has helped me to get a full nights rest. I've never had too much trouble sleeping before - are these addictive?
About the red-tinged spotting, it seems to be more frequent now than on the first days after surgery, so I wasn't sure if that was a sign that I may be doing too much?
Thanks again!
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
1 week post-op and pain

Don't be worried that your doctor won't be willing to refill your prescription - I think they're pretty accustomed to doing so. If you feel like you still need something narcotic, then by all means do ask your doctor for a refill. I've been told (and read) that it's better to expend the energy healing than it is to expend it fighting pain.

For the bleeding, what my doctor told me was to call her office if I saw bright red blood, otherwise a little discharge was normal. When I came home from the hospital, I had no discharge whatsoever. I didn't see any spotting until 1.5 weeks later, and then it varies from dark brown to sometimes red. My doctor told me that having the darker colored spotting means that I'm doing too much, and that I should rest.
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
1 week post-op and pain

Thank you! Its nice to have another perspective and therefor further questions to ask during those short phone calls and appointments with the Dr!
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
1 week post-op and pain

I had my two week post op check-up on Christmas Eve and the doctor told me it was normal for some women to be on prescription pain meds for up to six weeks after surgery. I went home with 60 Vicodin and called in for more a week and a half later. The doctor wasn't at all concerned and said it's totally normal.
Unread 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM
1 week post-op and pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmrl
I had a tvh on 12/19 and left my ovaries. I had a great hospital stay and went home the next evening after surgery as soon as I could pass gas and walk a little.
My Dr sent me home with Tylenol 3 with codeine up to every 4 hours and Motrin 800 up to every 8 hours.
I've tried to keep up with the Motrin and used the Tylenol sparingly as needed for excessive pain. Now I'm almost out of the Tylenol and tried to manage today just on the Motrin and had a lot of achy burning pain. I'm wondering if I should ask my Dr for a refill on the Tylenol 3 or if there's something that has worked well for others. I can't take vicodin - makes me sick.
Also, I seem to have light red tinged bleeding throughout the day. Is that still normal? When will the gas pains subside?
Thanks to everyone on this site - I don't post often, but learn lots from others.
Gas-X and stool softeners worked wonders for me.

With regard to pain, my doc doesn't typically refill scripts for narcotics (percocet, in my case), but she was happy to write me another 30 days worth of Motrin 800's. These worked great, once I realized it was important to keep them in my system -- that is, don't wait until you're in pain to take them, take them every 6-8 hours, or as prescribed.

Good luck with everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register