Unanswered Questions- 3 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unanswered Questions- 3 wks post op Unanswered Questions- 3 wks post op

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:27 AM
Unanswered Questions- 3 wks post op

There was so much that was not said to me before my surgery. I'm sure after the full recovery time, I will be very thankful to have had this done. I know it was needed and I will feel better in time. Right now, I am very mad at my dr- half the stuff he did was not told to me. I didn't know he was taking everything including the cervix. I had an exam today and when he touched the "cuff", it hurt so bad I almost screamed. I'm still on pain meds, still can't get up and do stuff like I want, and I am embarrassed to get into one of the motorized carts at the store, so I'm just hanging around the house. I'm sure part of this is just the hormones too. Does anyone else feel this way? Right now, I just feel like a slug and can't believe I don't feel at least a little better yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Sit back take 3 deep breaths and smile... Your attitude will have a lot to do with the way you heal... those carts are there for a reason, use them. Or jusst grab your pillow and go for a short ride. If you are not going out side at all stand at the window and take deep breaths. I realize that soundslike a cleshey (sp) But really your attitude will have a lot tro do with your healing.

You didn't say what you had...I had my TAH_BSO on the 10th. try to find somethin to laugh at at least 3 x a day...
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Thanks, Jewelleeannea- That makes me feel better. I had a full hysterectomy- tubes, ovaries, uterus, cervix. the dr cleaned house lol.. I was not told in detail about everything though, just aggravated right now. I am going to try to get out of the house more this week and maybe even get to the store. I will try to be more cheerful too. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 04:43 AM

faifylou- could it be that the Dr. didn't realize ahead of time exactly what they would run into? I know, in my case, the Dr. had hoped to do a LAVH, and leave the ovaries, etc. I ended up with a TAH, and they too had to take everything- ovaries, cervix and anything else they could cut out without further damage. They said it was much more extensive than they had imagined.
3 to 4 weeks was the tough time in my recovery mentally- I kept think I should be much further along in the recovery. Truly- it was closer to 8 weeks that I really started to feel my energy level returning...now, at almost 10 weeks- it's good! Really good! Still a few zingers here and there, but the worst is definitely behind, and it's so worth it.
Unread 12-27-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifylou
I am embarrassed to get into one of the motorized carts at the store, so I'm just hanging around the house. I'm sure part of this is just the hormones too. Does anyone else feel this way? Right now, I just feel like a slug and can't believe I don't feel at least a little better yet.

I know how you feel about the motorized carts. I had to use it as my dd needed new pants desperately and my MIL took us to get them. But at least I got to go out and do the errands I needed and not have so much pain. Just stand outside for even a few minutes or open your windows in your house the fresh air will help wipe the cobwebs and "cabin fever". Also, remember when laughing to use your pillow it helps. I ran into a similar problem with attitude and feeling down and started to watch comedies on tv and movies that made me laugh. It really helped.

Hope that helps. Good luck and best wishes with your recovery.
Unread 12-27-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I am embarrassed to get into one of the motorized carts at the store, so I'm just hanging around the house. I'm sure part of this is just the hormones too. Does anyone else feel this way? Right now, I just feel like a slug and can't believe I don't feel at least a little better yet.
I am feeling your frustration. I did better the first few days then I am now.
My dr. is a wonderful man, but no one told me about my ovaries going into shock (I was able to keep them and also my cervix) and the beat with a baseball bat feeling. My incision was not healing properly - but is now...
I am bruising around the incision area (usually after I went to one store shopping) and hubby keeps tabs on that as we oil the area with some herbal stuff twice a day.
My energy is still zilch. Yesterday I had to sleep for 2 hours - then we went out for 2 (a few Christmas sales) and by the second store I knew I needed to get home and lay flat.

I do however feel that this is a hard time of year to have this surgery - we are housebound even more so (if you live where it snows), the holidays were difficult because I couldn't "do" what I normally would, and I also have a son that just deployed to Iraq...so I am reminded myself these things figure into the "sad" feeling and that this too shall pass (I hope)

I agree with the ladies to keep yourself busy with funny shows, or maybe things you can do with little activity.
Unread 12-27-2007, 06:26 AM

It must be hard reading other threads saying how well people are feeling, if you aren't.

I've only been out of the house 3 times since my op..the day after yours faifylou, and one of those was to have stitches removed. I'm feeling okay most of the time, but it's not that easy to organise anyone to take me out..and I live miles from anything interesting..

then i had a couple of funny dizzy turns today..and feel panicky about what could be wrong.

you're so lucky to have electric carts..we don't have them in the UK, except in really large shopping centres - I would be on it in a minute..lol.

laughing is a good idea - although it still makes my belly ache. My sister was drying my hair for me this morning, and managed to get it caught in the wrong end of it - didn't realise until we could smell burning...it wouldn't have been so funny, if my other sister hadn't done exactly the same last week- and we'd just been saying how impossible it was.

some help you can do without!lol

..well I haven't been out in company for a while...lol

early days, ups and downs, you'll look back with relief soon...

x
Unread 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Hello,

We all have different needs and wants regarding our recovery. Although I am 4 weeks post-op today, I have not left my home, nor do I plan to leave until my follow-up appointment with my ob/gyn on 1/7/2008.

I thoroughly scanned this website before my procedure and took everything into consideration, especially the statements, "You only have one opportunity to heal correctly." and "Your doctor has done his/her part in performing the procedure, now do your part and protect his/her work." And, I planned for the worst, thinking that I may require the entire 8 weeks to recover, I'm glad I did because my recovery has been slow. My children return to school on 1/3/2008 and we've made plans for me to have everything I need until I am released by my doctor.

I feel good for the most part around my home, however, I don't have the energy to venture outside. I have stood at the front door and the fresh breeze was quite invigorating. I also took the advice of someone on the website and prepared my recovery room, home, and pantry for the princess that I am. Take your time and take it easy on yourself. If you cannot, because you have to do everything yourself, then take it slow and be patient with yourself.

All the best!

SAH for two massive fibroids, 9 inch vertical incision
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM

did your dr not go over your procedure with you and what would be removed or were your cervix and ovaries taken out during an emergency? did you have a pre-op appt and get a chance to ask him questions?
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifylou
There was so much that was not said to me before my surgery. I'm sure after the full recovery time, I will be very thankful to have had this done. I know it was needed and I will feel better in time. Right now, I am very mad at my dr- half the stuff he did was not told to me. I didn't know he was taking everything including the cervix. I had an exam today and when he touched the "cuff", it hurt so bad I almost screamed. I'm still on pain meds, still can't get up and do stuff like I want, and I am embarrassed to get into one of the motorized carts at the store, so I'm just hanging around the house. I'm sure part of this is just the hormones too. Does anyone else feel this way? Right now, I just feel like a slug and can't believe I don't feel at least a little better yet.
I would ask your dr his reasoning for what he did you may find he needed to remove everything. I did not have pain with the exam it was a strange sensation but then my dr was very gentle. I understand about them carts I refused to get into one also however I paid for it and was sore for about a day after a shoping trip. I didn't want to get up and go anywhere for the first few weeks and yes slug was what I would have said at the time too. It is good to rest. My DH talked me into getting up and out after a little while I did start to feel pretty much like myself again.Give it another week and see how you feel. I did feel better after moving out and about in week 4.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register