Endometriosis and HRT??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometriosis and HRT??? Endometriosis and HRT???

Unread 12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Endometriosis and HRT???

Hi all - My LSH and removal of my uterus turned into a TAH with taking everything due to stage 4 endometriosis. I will be seeing my MD on 1/8 and he is away but I had a question. If they removed the ovaries because they (estrogen) is the mechanism behind the endometriosis, wouldn't going on HRT cause the same problem to return?? Very confusing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Endometriosis and HRT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqsuzyq
If they removed the ovaries because they (estrogen) is the mechanism behind the endometriosis, wouldn't going on HRT cause the same problem to return??
Well, yes, if the HRT is estrogen-only. However, your DR might consider prescribing some natural progesterone or a stronger synthetic progestin along with estrogen; that way the progesterone/progestin could counter the effect of the estrogen as far as encouraging endo regrowth, but you'd still get some benefit of symptom relief from the estrogen.

Some DRs will never prescribe HRT at all after a BSO for endo; some will make you wait several months and then allow HRT; some allow only combination HRT and not estrogen-only; and some (few) allow estrogen-only HRT after endo. It IS very confusing!

Let us know what your DR says, OK? Good luck!

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-28-2007, 06:32 AM
Endometriosis and HRT???

thanks for your help...at least by asking question on the board I am getting some ideas of questions to ask the doctor. I will see what happens. I guess I thought once the surgery was done the endometriosis was not an issue, then I did some more reading and so now, more questions.... - Suzyq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Endometriosis and HRT???

I had a TAH-BSO on 9-11 because of extensive endo. My dr is keeping me off of all estrogen for 6 months to kill the endo. He said it would be ok to go on estrogen after that period. I will ask about progesterone.
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Endometriosis and HRT???

Thanks Jen - I was supposed to have a LSH with removal of the uterus and woke up to be told I have TAHBSO due to endo, at age 47, no one even knew I had it, although it does explain a whole lot stuff I was feeling. I will ask my doctor about that when I see him. You are young so you probably fit into the category of those bone and cardiac wise who would benefit from some years of HRT. That's the balance I would need to figure out, I need the estrogen benefits for family cardiac history and bone stuff, endo is the glitch in the picture at this point, just complicating the whole surgical menopause thing. Anyway, keep in touch. - Suzyq
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Endometriosis and HRT???

Yes, I was told by my dr that I needed HRT. I wasn't happy about it! I wanted to stay off of it because the media hypes up breast cancer risk. I got my hands on a book by Dr Elizabeth Vliet, Women, Weight, and Hormones. It has made me not dread HRT. I also read her newer book, The Savvy Women's Guide to Testosterone. It has great info in it. I had my surgery about 3 1/2 months ago and I already feel the effects of loss of testosterone and estrogen. I am looking forward to feeling decent again. I wish you all the best!!
Unread 01-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Endometriosis and HRT???

I had a tahbso in march. I also had endo. I was put on hrt immediately after my hyst. In Oct I had to have a laproscope to clean more endo out because the hormones were feeding it. My dr lowered my hrts to .625 premarin to slow the growth down. I also am now taking 75mg effexor xr which helps alot with the hot flashes. My dr told me I can increase my hormones in 6mths if I need to. I hope this helps you.
Unread 01-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Endometriosis and HRT???

i had mine in march 2006, still have ovaries but they have slowed down, so my sex drive is pretty much gone now, however i started having pain on my left side few months ago so my doc has put me on a combined birth control pill, the progesteron will counteract the estrogen, and hopefully slow down any new growth that may be happening on my ovaries, but still give me a kick up on the estrogen for my sex drive, been on them now for about 6 weeks, have had a little cramping but other than that feeling ok, good luck, i know this seems like a never ending journey!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register