Driving-How do you know when you're ready? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving-How do you know when you're ready? Driving-How do you know when you're ready?

Unread 12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Driving-How do you know when you're ready?

How do you know when you are ready? My doc told me 2 to 3 weeks. I am now 4 weeks out and am not sure about the driving (I haven't driven since my TAH). I'm off serious pain meds, so that is not an issue. The issue for me is 24/7 pain. Do other women drive despite constant pain, or do women wait until all pain is gone? Tomorrow I have an appointment that I should not cancel. DH can drive, but he's been sick and has other things to attend to tomorrow. I would hate to burden him with the driving for this appointment as well. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2007, 11:03 PM

Prior to surgery, my doc said I could drive when I felt up to it. At discharge from the hospital, they told me in no uncertain terms NO DRIVING for at least 2 weeks. I needed to be able to stop suddenly without causing more pain, be able to turn to see behind me, and not be on narcotic pain meds (nothing more than Tylenol, even the higher dosage Ibuprofen can cause drowsiness). Sorry to your DH, but bother him. Don't take the chance of hurting yourself or someone else by getting behind the wheel before you are ready. When I finally started driving, it was to the grocery around the corner, or to my kids school 1/2 mile away. I did that for a week before I tried anything more, and even those short trips wiped me out.
Good luck, keep us posted...
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:04 PM

My OB said 2 weeks for me but I just had a TVH. She told me to sit in the car and slam my foot down on the brake and if it doesn't hurt then I should be ok to drive.
Hope this helps.
Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:42 AM

I had a TAH and I was told I could drive when I could slam my foot on the ground without pain. I was driving at 10 days PO.
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Try taking a "test drive". I had my DD go with me as I drove around the block. She would have been able to take over if I couldn't have made it. I knew by the time I backed out of the driveway that I was okay. Although I still had a little pain, driving did not make it worse.
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:29 AM

I drove about 4 weeks later, but not far. I was more comfortable than I thought I would be. The hard part for me was shopping. I had my husband take me. I couldnt push the cart if it were full and by the time I got to the other end of the store I had to sit down. I felt like my insides were coming out my vagina. Just go at your own pace. Everyone recovers differently.
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM

i'm sure at four weeks you will be fine to drive. just call your drs office before the appt and ask them what the dr usually suggests.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:53 AM

My doctor had me to wait 3 weeks before I could drive. My 1st day out I drove a short distance. Driving was okay. It was the walking into the store from the car and back. I suggest you take a test drive. And please don't feel bad if you have to drive the shopping cart. Once you get the hang of it you'll be a pro. Also shop in small stores. I have not been in any large stores like Walmart . I am not ready for that adventure yet.

TAH, adenomyosis
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:14 PM

My instructions said not until I went back to the doctor. But I called them and they told me as long as I wasn't taking any pain meds and I felt comfortable. I have driven a couple of times already.
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM

My doc said 4 weeks. His exact instructions were "Four weeks and only if you feel you can drive without hitting a cat." LOL! I drove just before 4 weeks to my kids' school and back. The driving wasn't too terribly bad but I had to park far from the school. The walking back and forth killed me which made the drive home hard. I haven't driven since. I'll be 5 weeks on Monday. I will probably try to take a quick drive around to the corner store today and use the electric cart if it's busy or I'm having a hard time walking. Just make sure you are comfortable. Maybe try to take someone with you in case you have to pull over.

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11/26/07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register