Driving-How do you know when you're ready? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving-How do you know when you're ready? Driving-How do you know when you're ready?

Unread 12-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Driving-How do you know when you're ready?

Well, I ventured out yesterday, driving myself and DS to his appointment. I was feeling better when it was time to leave the house, hence my decision to drive. I felt fine. I had to position my seat differently than normal so that I wasn't stretching to reach pedals.

Today I feel sore, probably from the driving. But, the sore isn't with the incision area so much as the muscles around it. The non-belly muscles actually feel better and more toned (I tone-up very quickly).

I am tired, but it's truly hard to tell if it's from my driving adventure or from this blasted cold that I came down with last night. I supect it's more the cold than anything.

I should clarify one thing.....my doc's main concern with driving was for me to be a safe driver. Although I'm on ibuprofen and tylenol, they do not affect my driving safety, nor have they ever. She was concerned with visabilty as well, and thankfully my car has superb visability, so I did not experience any pain when looking for other traffic.

So, if I had to do it over again, I would drive. I think toning up those muscles helped my back. I feel stronger today, just a bit muscle-achy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Hooray for you Guinee! Isn't it funny how getting to do things we would normally take for granted help us to feel normal again?
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM

If you're unsure, start out with a short trip or two - even just around the block. I felt my reaction time was a bit sluggish initially (3 weeks) and taking a few small jaunts helped me regain my confidence. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 10:23 AM

I was released at 4 weeks, but do to the pain that I was having, I did not want to chance going out by myself and something happening, so I waited until 6 weeks when I was feeling better and started off doing short trips, now I am fine, even though I still have a few pains now and then, I am ok with driving.
Unread 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM

I am 7 wks tomorrow and only started driving last wk. Dr. told me I could at 4 wks. but the men in my family ask me to wait so I did. They have all treated me so special I decided to let them keep on. My DS, 19 has been very protective of his mom and I have loved the care he and the rest of the family has given me.
It does seem strange driving because of the long break from it. I seem to have forgotten some of my shortcuts etc. But it is coming back. Take your time. TAH/BSO

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register