postponed final chemo and CA125 question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

postponed final chemo and CA125 question postponed final chemo and CA125 question

Unread 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM
postponed final chemo and CA125 question

My last chemo was to be today, but the doc wants to examine me for some minimal pain I've been having in my right side (argh!) I should have kept my mouth shut! I am hoping it is nothing, and that they will still be able to give my my chemo this afternoon (fingers and toes are crossed).

Of more concern to me, is that my CA125 increased again. Before surgery - 321
after surgery- right before chemo - 19
After two chemos - 21
today, after five chemos - 25.

I don't like the way this is headed. I know it is still in normal range, but COME ON!! GO DOWN - not UP!

Anyone out there have their CA125 increase DURING chemo? I have had no infections, ailments, or real problems during this, so I can't really blame it on other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Hi Wolfgang,
I'm sorry your final treatment might be delayed and that you are in pain. On the subject of CA 125, mine was about 170 before chemo and didn't come down till round 4 when it was 65. Before round 5 it was back up to 76. It does seem to fluctuate a bit! My onc said the normal no. was about 41 so I don't think there's anything for you to worry about (easier said than done I know!) Take care and let us know how you get on x
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM

aw wolfgang...i can understand that to be worrisome for you. i've had 3 drs. tell me that they don't like to go by the numbers. that's okay if you don't like the numbers...hehe!! seriously, even though you don't feel you have any symptom to explain the slowly rising numbers, there just may be some kind of inflammation somewhere that you're not aware of, affecting your ca125 results.

i've also had minimal pain on my right side which seems to be noticeable since getting back to normal activities and more strenuous exercise. (that's where a lot of my surgery took place, so could be adhesions, i guess!) i've actually had this pain since i was a child...just walking to school would bring it on, so who knows?

i hope you can get your last treatment over with and find out something benign was affecting your numbers. best wishes to you and happy new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks for your quick responses! I think I am just frustrated - I really want to be done with chemo THIS YEAR! I am very obstinate. That is why I wish I hadn't even mentioned the light pain. It doesn't affect me in my daily activities or anything. I could have easily waited to mention it until after this last chemo.

Well, there is still a chance that i will finish this year - as long as the doctor clears me.

Thank you for your kind words. The CA125 number is not keeping me awake at night yet, since it is still in normal range - but I just wish it would go down! Theres no magic way to accomplish that, I guess. Thanks Rachel for your CA125 info - it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.
and a big thank you! (breathing deeply...)
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Wolfgang -- I'm a 6 year, 10-month survivor of stage IIIc endometrioid ovarian cancer, and I can tell you those twinges will drive you crazy! More often than not, they are scar tissue saying hello. Regarding the CA-125, your doc will look for upward trends. It's perfectly normal to be concerned. Heck, I was convinced I had a tumor the size of a grapefruit THREE WEEKS after my surgery! I have to laugh, because my doc was great. I've calmed down quite a bit :-)

There are lots of women who run the gamut of ovarian cancer issues at www.acor.org. Under mailing lists go to "O" for Ovarian problems, and register. This list focuses on ovarian cancer.

Hope you get through all of your treatments very soon! Best of health to you.

SunnyPalm
dx 3/12/2001 (I don't know why my profile says May 12, but it's March 12!)
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Thank you Sunny! Long term survivors are always good to see in the ovca world.

They DID get me in for the chemo today, so I can now relax and just wait for the side effects to kick in.
I am done for this year, and hopefully for the years to come as well!
Thanks again all for your help. I just needed someone to hear me - and I love this board for that!
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:30 PM

I know you are relieved to get that chemo over. I pray that it knocked the !#@$ out of those gremlins!

I joined HysterSisters back before my surgery in March 2001, but recently re-registered. It's expanded a lot, but people are still very nice and so helpful. Little did I know I'd be diagnosed with ovarian cancer during surgery for endometriosis! Sigh. We deal with the hand we're dealt, right?

Happy New Year!
SunnyPalm
Unread 12-29-2007, 03:52 AM

Wolfgang, I'm so pleased you've finished too. Well done you! Now we can go into the new year together with no more chemo! Get plenty of rest the next few days and pamper yourself. Lots of love Kirsten x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register