Still urine stinging after 3 months postop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still urine stinging after 3 months postop Still urine stinging after 3 months postop

Unread 12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Still urine stinging after 3 months postop

Hi,
My TAH and left oophorectomy was performed on 9/10/07. Ever since surgery I have had stinging upon urination and I also have internal dicomfort while urinating. I saw my ob/gyn about 10 days ago and he said I did not have a UTI and after a physical exam, he said I'm healing just fine. He said the only thing that he can think of is that I may have developed adhesions. Sometimes I forget to ask followup questions, so I want to know are adhesions permanent? Will the stinging and discomfort go away?

Is there a doctor on this site? Or, do any of you ladies experience what I am? I have made an appt. to see a different OB/GYn. Maybe this time he can do an ultrasound to actually LOOK inside and see what the heck is going on. Maybe the surgeon nicked my bladder during surgery. I hate not knowing. and I hate spending money becauase of lack of health insurance.

Please, if you have any suggestions or experience with this, let me know,
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM

I wonder if you are not drinking enough water or completely emptying your bladder when you do go.

I know I can feel the differnece when I do not drink enough water.
Unread 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. I have had the same issue, and like you, do not have a UTI. My doc said that there is some bruising to the bladder from the hysterectomy, and that this often happens. However, I find that mine comes and goes. Sometimes it goes away, and then back it comes, especially if I don't drink enough. It burns and hurts like a UTI. However, I have been on some antibiotics for my incision, so I know its probably not an infection. I would love to hear from anyone else on this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Hi, I had my surgery 4wks. ago and still am having issues with my bladder. I am leaking and have in the last couple of days had tenderness and sore just like I had surgery yesterday. I did have a couple of infections after surgery and also had to have a cath for about 2wks. How long can the feeling last of not feeling well? My doc says I have had the most problem with my bladder of any of her other patients. Anyone else had issues as these that can give some encouragement?
Unread 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM

Thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering the same thing. I've had this periodic burning that comes and goes throughout my postop, but urine tests at 2 and 4 weeks revealed no infections. I've had this again for almost a week now and the last couple of days I have noticed leaking, which was never a problem before surgery or in the first 7 weeks after surgery. I've been wondering how long it would take to go away.
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Well, now, so I'm not alone. thanks for all of you who replied. I will bump up my water intake. And after my January 25 appointment for a second opinion, I will let you know. I'm hoping it's just brusing of the bladder that is irritating my urethra when I go, and it's just taking its sweet time to heal.

Anyone else that has had this and resolved, please jump in!
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Persistent unresolved internal discomfort

Hi Ladies,
I went to an ob/gyn for a second opinion for the discomfort I have been having since my TAH on 9/10/07. The area is between my belly button and my abdominal incision. It is tender when I gently push on it and it is tender when I empty my bladder or have a BM. After talking and examining me, he is puzzled about the stinging during urination and he is not completley sure about the internal discomfort, but he has sent me to physical therapy. I went to one visit so far. She is having me write out my food and beverage diary for 3 days before I see her again. And also use my fingertips to gentlly stretch the skin in the area I mentioned. The doc said it could be adhesions, but more likely my abdominal wall is not completely healed. He described in graphic detail how a hysterectomy is performed, and the bladder is moved to the side to remove the uterus and other reproductive organs. Hopefully the PT will help. the doc said if it doesn't, the next step would be to see a urologist to have a cystoscope done which is basically a procedure to take a good look at the bladder.

Anyone else having tenderness in this area? I'm over 4 months postop! At least that area has woken up from a long sleep (numbness). I had no idea how long recovery from this would take, and from what I understand, some sensations might be permanent because there are so many nerves involved.

Hope all of you are improving and/or completley recovered!
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Do they think it's something with yor diet?
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:44 PM

The physical therapist asked me to journal my diet just for a few days. Since I have complaints about my bladder, she wanted to see what I was eating and drinking that might be irritating it. She is covering all the bases. Today I had another appt. She is now having me do two different exercises to stretch the groin areas and hip flexors. Today she located the spot that is the very most tender -- on the left side of my lower abdomen near my groin area. I almost went through the roof when she pressed on it. I forgot to ask her if this is the area where my ovary was removed. Anyway I think this PT knows what she is doing. She specializes in physical therapy/women's health.
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:44 AM

I am having similar problems. When I went back for my 2 week appt., my doctor did a urinalysis and didn't find any problems there but did find a yeast infection which might have been causing the pain. I'm still having pain and will go for my 6 week appt. next week so hopefully I'll find out what's going on. Hope everyone else is able to find out what's wrong and get the problems corrected.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register