ovary shock | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM
ovary shock

I have been doing some more extensive reading since my hysterectomy, since my dr. has not really answered many questions. My question that I am throwing out there is this, how am I going to know if my ovaries go into shock?

Kristine

TVH, kept both ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
ovary shock

I notice from your post that you are newly post op. It is still very early days of recovery for you. I dont know your age but sometimes our ovaries dont work for the first few weeks after the hyst. I dont know why this happens. Mine kicked in again very soon after my hyst and I was experiencing PMT. If your ovaries dont kick in again then you will need to make an appointmen t with your doctor to discuss HRT or something else to help with the menopausal symptoms. You might even experience hot flushes as your ovaries settle down again. At the moment it is probably too early to tell. Best wishes.
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
ovary shock

elainebenes

Some ladies find that their ovaries stop working temporarily, due to trauma of surgery. This usually happens very quickly following surgery. As you're now a month post-op and asking this question, hopefully this means you haven't, or won't, experience it! Not everyone has this but, when they do, the usual complaints are of hot flashes and night sweats, etc ~ ie, menopausal-type symptoms.

Wishing you all the best and I hope your recovery is going smoothly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
ovary shock

you would experience menopause symptoms like hot flashes, insomnia, night sweats, etc. mine lasted about 2 weeks before my ovaries started working again. if you havent experienced any symptoms, yours might have continued to work since your surgery.
Unread 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
ovary shock

I asked my gyno about ovary shock. She told me that no, the ovaries don't go into shock at all. I did have nightsweats for about a week after my TAH.
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
ovary shock

Mine went into shock for about 8 weeks after my TVH. I had night sweats mainly. I could tell which side was ovulating each month before my surgery and after the 8 weeks I could feel them working again. My OB said if they didn't start working after 3 months she would kick start them with some HRT's to see if that would help. Thank goodness I didn't need them.
Take care and hope this helps some.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:04 PM
ovary shock

Ditto what everyone else said, as to the menopausal symptoms. I started having night sweats, hot flashes and insomnia along with some headaches right away. I'm 3 weeks post-op and still have the night sweats, hot flashes and insomnia, thought not quite as much thanks to my Vitamin E and soy.

Trying to figure out how to actually get some sleep for when I have to start going into the office again. Or when I have to get kids on the school bus in the morning.
Unread 12-28-2007, 11:22 PM
ovary shock

Hi elainebenes,
I am sorry your doctor has not been very helpful.
I would think, anyone who was going to have issues with their ovaries would experience it pretty soon after the operation.
If MsDee2's GYN is correct, and they don't go into shock, mine must just be ultra sluggish!
I am almost 4 wks post-op, and experience hot flushes, headaches and occasional night sweats! I have trouble sleeping, but mainly due to pain, so might let my ovaries off the hook for that one. I hope they kick back in soon...
I hope you are recovering ok.

Snowflake

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register