Post-Hysto troubles (it started with sex...) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Hysto troubles (it started with sex...) Post-Hysto troubles (it started with sex...)

Unread 12-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Post-Hysto troubles (it started with sex...)

I just wanted to share my story and hopefully save someone the pain of what I have been through.

My LAVH and BSO was August 28th. Went without a hitch. I was discharged 1 day later, and other than the usual wait for a bowel movement (finally!!! lol) I was pretty OK. Sore, but OK. My surgery had been done out of state unexpectedly, and approx. 10 days later I flew home. Still sore and taking it easy, but otherwise OK.

Around week 4-5, I called my doc because of a very low-grade fever and a small lump (which was quite tender) next to my right incision. He suggested I go to the ER if I felt worse. I then wasn't able to keep food down. I went to the ER, and was told I probably had the flu, was given meds for nausea, and sent home. After about a week I felt a wee bit better.

The eve of my 7-week mark I decided to celebrate by having sex. (My doc had told me to wait 4-6 weeks, and it had been long enough darn it!) I admit - I was scared about how it would feel. But.. it was great! Until.... it felt like something popped. (I have had cysts burst before during sex - and it was very similar.) My partner stopped (afraid to go on)... and I started to cramp up. By this time it was very early in the morning, so I thought I just needed to sleep it off.

BIG mistake!

All day I slept. The few times I got up to pee, I was hunched over and sore. My guy kept offering to take me to the ER and I refused. By that evening I was projectile vomiting, and he called the ambulance. By the time they got me there my fever was quickly rising (ended up 105 before they could get it to come down) - and I couldn't stand the pain. For a while they didn't think I would make it through the night because I was so sick. Long story short: I tore my vaginal cuff - and I had a raging infection inside of my body and covering my organs.

I had surgery 1st thing in the am - and they literally had to scrub my insides because of the infection as well as repair the vaginal cuff. Oh - and my pretty little LAVH scars? No more. Now I have a full abdominal incision. (Bikini cut - glued together - quite pretty actually. It looked like a smiley face.) That hospital stay lasted 5 days.

About 2 weeks later I went back to the ER because of another low-grade fever and my incision was looking inflamed. They gave me antibiotics, sent me home and told me to see my local doc the next day like planned. When I did see him the next day, he took one look at my now infected incision and immediately admitted me to the hospital. He planned on opening me up the next morning to drain the infection (the CT scan showed I was full of ickiness). When he came in to give me the news, my incision burst. It drained and drained noxious stuff. I now had 2 types of infection going on. I avoided surgery - but it took 10 days in hospital to treat the staph infection as well as the bacteria they were finally able to identify (mycoplasma hominis - fairly common, but for some reason my body did not like this at all!) I was only allowed to go home that early with home health care to treat my wounds (two openings still draining in my incision) and a lot of antibiotics. (Now my incision wasn't so pretty - with two big holes in it.)

A couple of weeks later and my holes were healing up well. 6 weeks post vaginal cuff surgery and my doc said I could have "shallow" sex. Of course I was scared!!!! But.... my partner and I gave it a try - carefully and shallowly! All was ok. Yippee!! We tried a couple of more times (very shallow - not great - but better than nothing!) and still ok. 8 weeks post-op, I lifted anything heavy for the 1st time. And I lifted a lot. (I was in the process of moving suring all of this.) Then I topped the day off with more "shallow" sex - but this time - it felt weird. We stopped almost as soon as we started. It didn't quite hurt like the vaginal cuff tear - but he said it definitely felt different - and not in a good way. I was sore, but more like an ache than the cramping and pain of before. Instead of getting worse, it seemed to subside a bit, so I went to sleep.

The next morning I had the usual pain that comes with having to urinate (I never got past the pain of having the pressure of a full bladder), but it didn't seem to go away after voiding like it usually does. About an hour later I went to the restroom again - and it happened. Something came out via my vagina. (I thought my vagina had turned inside out and was itself exiting my body.) I tried pushing whatever it was back in place and felt a pain in my abdomen like no other pain I had ever felt. Learning from my past mistake of waiting too long - I immediately called 911, and laid down and waited for the ambulance.

When they got me to the ER, I was almost delirious with pain. They finally shoved what it was back inside, got my doc there, and I went in for another emergency surgery. This time? I not only tore the vaginal cuff, but my small intestines were what took leave of my body. Luckily, they took them out during surgery and checked them and I had no perforations (and put them all back in place of course. Ugh.) They let me come home 5 days later - in time for Christmas.

So here I am - about 10 days post-op. I am still on major anti-biotics. I'm on a no-sex restriction for 6 months. And the usual no driving, no lifting, no anything - but this time I can do nothing for 6 weeks. Just in case. This last surgery was definitely the worst. My insides feel like they're still being wrung out. (But they did "fix" my incision and it is once again a skinny little smiley face!) Overall I have lost about 25 pounds (not good as I was underweight to begin with.) My immune system is nearly shot to heck. The cost is unbelievable - even with insurance. I know the nurses at the hospital waaay too well - haha. I have no strength at all. Plus my friends and family have been put through the wringer. Not to mention... I'm usually very independent.. so these past few months have been so hard for me - which has made me hard to live with I am sure!!

We I think I had an infection from my hysto in the very beginning. Tearing the vaginal cuff (the first time) just made it explode (so to speak). The rest.. well that was just lousy luck. (And as my doc says.. I just gave some guy out there a huge ego boost. Not once - but twice!! hardy har har).

I'm sorry this has gotten long. I also know everyone is different and heals different. If I could change one thing about all of this (other than not having sex.. ummm... either time - duh!) - I would have gone to the ER as soon as the first attempt at sex went awry. I really thought I was sore because I hadn't had sex in so long - and it was the 1st time post-hysto. I REALLY wish I hadn't waited until I was so sick!

Overall, I still don't regret the hysto and I still think it was the best thing to do. Despite all of these complications. (Although I think I'm regretting the sex a teensy bit.) Oh - and just one more thing about the sex - I haven't lost any libido yet at all, and had no dryness problems or anything. I wasn't on any hormones until this last stay either. (My doc put me on Premarin - because he says I need the estrogen to help my vagina tissue heal. The poor thing.. it has had so much removed now with both tears and the infection, I'm going to start calling it mini-me. ha!) So... unless someone breaks through your vagina.. post-hysto sex can be pretty great.
-----------------
Jen
LAVH and BSO: 08-28-07
single - and sporting a new and improved, smaller vagina!! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Wow Jen, that is a crazy story...so sorry for all that you are going thru...hopefully now you are on the road to real recovery.....have patience and hopefully you will heal great this time...thanks for sharing with everyone...just goes to show you...even if you wait it out, it still may not be a long enough wait, as everyone heals different and it is more important to listen to your body than it is to listen to the 4-6wk as alot of times it is just not enough...I think I waited 8 or more weeks and was happy that it went well...good luck in healing and let us know how you progress this time
Unread 12-28-2007, 09:50 PM

I am never having sex again....forget that ....sounds too painful for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Chant1979: LOL Don't give up on sex!!! Seriously. I think I just need to wait a looooong time before I try again.

ribyra732: thank you. I know I am on the mend right now. My body and mind have finally surrendered. I know it will take a lot more time than I would like it to take... but after 4 hospital stays, numerous trips to ER and 3 surgeries - I would rather spend time recovering at home than back in a hospital again. No matter how bored and restless I get.

One thing I forgot to mention before both times I tore my vaginal cuff, I had no bleeding at all. I leaked some pinkish / clear fluid the first time - but no blood. It's one reason I didn't think I tore anything the 1st time - I thought if I had, there would be bleeding. That wasn't the case. I wanted to let people know that there can be major problems without any bleeding at all.
Unread 12-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Jen, wow... so much to go through! Best wishes to you that you're finally on the mend!
Unread 12-29-2007, 03:27 AM

Jen, OH MY! My heart goes out to you! What an ordeal! I hope things settle down soon and you feel better way fast. Your postive attitude is seeing you through girl! I am really impressed by your strength, you awesome person!
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:49 AM

That has got to be the worst post-op story I've ever heard. But at least you are so humorous about it. I was shocked and almost laughing at the same time. Bless your heart! Take it easy and hope the big guy handled the news okay that it will be six months before testing the waters again. Best wishes.
Unread 12-29-2007, 09:00 AM

Whoa girl you have been through it all! Thank you for sharing that, it could not have been easy to think about it all again. For goodness sakes take it easy and heal. 6 months seems like a long time but after that experience I would surely be able to wait. Best Wishes on what I hope is your final recovery!!
Unread 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Unfortunately I know exactly what you have gone through. If you look up my old posts, I had the same exact thing happen at 7 weeks post op. Except my intestines came out then, so I never had it happen twice. I am now almost 8 weeks post op vag cuff repair and still no sex! My DH felt the pop also. It is almost surreal when it happens, because the pain takes a minute to kick in. It felt like a rubber band inside snapped and then the pain started with tons of bleeding. After that the clear fluid that I thought was urine, only to find out it was the fluid lining my internal organs. Then came the pressure of my intestines sneaking out! I am glad you posted this, these ladies need to be careful and follow doctors orders.
Janelle
Unread 12-29-2007, 12:19 PM

Oh my God!!! This is really frightening! I just had my 5-6 wk check-up yesterday and things are healing great. Because I had spotting 2 wks ago, she extended my time to not have sex for another 2 wks (from yesterday). I'm actually glad that she did, because I am scare spitless to even try. I'm glad that you both posted your stories, because ladies do need to know to be careful. My prayers and thoughts are with you!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register