General Questions teachers needed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General Questions teachers needed General Questions teachers needed

Unread 12-29-2007, 01:12 PM
General Questions teachers needed

Just a few general questions:

I have a lap cat, how to best keep her from jumping on me, as she does this everytime I sit in my "chair" ?

Which position is best for sleeping as I sleep on my side and am not sure how I will be able to sleep when I get home

Lastly for teachers I am a Speech Path who goes to 4 buildings and I work with students who have cognitive disabilities. How do I tell these kids. I am lucky in that I can go back part time at first if I need to. I work with 3 rd grade through high school and have a great team. I am not worried about the kids, but I will miss them . I will go back for 4 days then be out.

KJ :
TAH on 1/11/08 at 4:30 pm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2007, 01:49 PM

The cat will need to change its habits, you can't have those claws touch your surgery area. As for sleeping I found packing a soft pillow under my stomach and pressed against the incision gave it enough support to sleep. At first it will fall a bit as you get in position but then I was comfortable. To lay on my back I had to pack a pillow under my thighs at my knees. And hope it would be comfortable. To straighten them out was extreme pain for me. And don't dare try sitting up from this position. Good luck.
Unread 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM

You might be surprised at how well your cat does. years ago -- i had a lap cat -- and when i came home from surgery she was by my side the whole time -- but did not jump on me --
you might consider keeping apillow with you when sitting that way if the cat decides you lap is the bes tplace you can still protect your tummy.

as for sleeping on your side -- i found having my body pillow helped. while in hopsital i had it wedged between teh rail and my back -- but at hope i was able to wrap a leg over it and sleep on my side.

best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2007, 03:52 PM

Thediamondlady is correct, cats seem to sense things, My cats seem to know that something is up and they have both been sleeping with me on my bed, which is different because they don't really like each other much and never sleep close by each other. I have been so sad lately prior to diagnosis and would cry so easy and the cats would come over and stay with me. My older cat she is 14 she does not like kids too much but when my 3 year old was home sick for two days she laid with her in bed I am sure after my surgery and I am home recovering on the couch my cats will be right there taking up all the room Good luck everyone, 8 days and a wake up eek....
Unread 12-29-2007, 04:43 PM

For sleeping and for the cats......Lots of pillows....

As for the kids , just tells the younger ones that you have to go away for awhile but someone else will be here to take your place in the time being.......as for the older ones some may have a little more understanding......

Good Luck in what you decide to do.....
Unread 12-29-2007, 07:54 PM

I too am a teacher of 5th grade students, wondering how to tell of my upcoming surgery on Jan. 16. I guess I am just telling them I have to have major surgery that will require me to be gone for at least 6 weeks because of an incision that will need time to heal.

Good luck with your surgery.
Snick
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Pillows, pillows, pillows! You can't have too many! My 1st night in the "castle," I had one on my belly, one between my legs, and one behind my back (this doesn't count the regular head pillow.) And the nurse said I had to turn over as often as possible during the night (I guess to keep circulation going.) No small task, let me assure you! When I came home, I did the same thing.....poor hubby had to claim a pillow before I grabbed 'em all! And I'm still using several pillows even tho I'm almost 2 weeks post-op. Belly just gets too sore w/o 'em.

As for your students, I'd say tell them what they're able to understand & as much as you're willing to share. Remember, if you don't tell them anything, they'll start dreaming up reasons you're gone.....however, don't tell them more than you want half the county to know!

I forgot to say, I teach 8th grade math. I only mentioned to a couple of students why I would be gone since I was only missing the last 2 days before Christmas and am "supposed" to go back when they do on the 7th. One of my students goes to my church, and you wouldn't believe the crazy reasons he thought I was gone!

Good luck!
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM

I also have a lap cat and had one when I had my c-section (different cats) and that one seemed to know not to jump on me.

As for the kids - first let me say thank you for all you do for them! I have a 10 yr old with Down syndrome so we have a long history with SLP teachers!! (He is in 3rd grade) As for telling them, just tell them you are having surgery and need time to feel better before coming back. As long as they know you are okay and that will be back I think they should be okay. My son knows that I am having surgery and that I will be feeling tired when I come home. I have to worry more about my typical 8 yr old daughter telling everyone she meets - she told the host at the restaurant as he was seating us today!
Unread 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
questions

Wow, I ask some simple questions and get lots of good answers to them. Guess it is true, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

To all those teachers, I can't wait to read how you did going back to work. So far all the the staff that I work with in the 4 buildings has been nothing but very supportive. Everyone from my Special Ed director on down has been great. It is really hard in that I will miss computer IEP training, but need to take care of this so I will not have to eat lunch in the car as I drive home to change clothes.

Thanks to all of the sisters,

KJ
TAH scheduled for 1/11/08 at 4:30 PM (uggg)
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:39 PM

I have done computer IEP's for several years now, and, while the training is nice, you really just have to get into it and learn as you go. So, I wouldn't worry about missing the training, especially if those that do attend will be willing to help you out during your first couple of IEP's that you try. I must add that I love doing the IEP's on the computer..my life is so much easier as a result!!!

I teach 7th grade resource, and I simply told my students that I would be having an abdominal surgery that would take a long time to heal because of the incisiion. I also told them that it was nothing serious to worry about. Most of them were OK with that answer. A few wanted more details and asked my associate. She told them I was having "female surgery" , and that seemed to be all they needed. The boys didn't want to hear another word at that point!!!

Best wishes to you. I love connecting with other teachers...we live in a very unique world!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register