Open wound 15 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Open wound 15 days post-op Open wound 15 days post-op

Unread 12-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Open wound 15 days post-op

I had a TAH Dec13. On Dec 16, they re-opened 4inches of my incision to cauterize a bleed inside the incision. Is there anyone out there dealing with the same thing????
I received word from the Dr. that the culture they did in the incision grew a staph infection. They put me on anti-biotics that will either kill the bacteria or me
I would love to 'talk' with anyone dealing with the open wound...

Patient One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 12:39 AM

I had an open wound. It has finally healed - but I never thought it would when I was going through it. Mine was after they did an abdominal incision to repair a torn vaginal cuff. Two weeks later I was admitted back to hospital because of a staph infection in the incision (as well as an unidentified bacteria). The incision burst open on it's own right before I was to have surgery to open it up. It drained and drained nastiness for days. The other side of my incision didn't seem to heal - so the doc actually cut through it with a pair of scissors to open it up.

I was on so many IV antibiotics, and was in hospital for 10 days. They sent me home with home health care - someone to come in and repack my wounds every day. Luckily that lasted for only a week. The key thing was to make sure the wounds closed from the inside out - they didn't want any pockets of air or other things to get trapped under the surface. I was also told to take my temp 3 times a day and call the first time it hit 100. Because of my bad luck with infection, they watched me closely.

I'd be more than happy to talk to ya about open wounds. Just know this - it DOES get better. I know I wouldn't have believed it - but it DOES!

Jen
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Normal?? What's that?

Thanks Jen! How long did it take for your incision to heal inside out? I have a HomeCare nurse coming in once a day to repack the wound and bandage it. I also have a 4cm tunnel that will have to start healing... it just keeps growing at this point. Mornings are my best time and things just slide downhill throughout the day until I'm exhausted in bed by 7pm. They keep telling me that my body is working twice as hard as other post-op's because of the open wound. It's so hard to accept. I am relatively young (43), not overweight, and was in very good physical shape before surgery. I can't wait to feel semi-normal again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM

Yep - I can relate to all of that! Fighting infection takes so much out of you!! I had two wounds, one on either end of my incision. The deep, long one initially took almost an entire bottle of that packing material (1/4 inch). Overall it had to be repacked for nearly 3 weeks. My other wound wasn't near as deep, and opened a week later. They stopped packing it at the same time. After they stopped packing them, they still healed fairly slow. I had to keep them clean and dry and open (ie: scrubbed off the scabs as they formed just in case). The small one closed up almost as soon as they stopped packing it. The deep one was doing very well 4 weeks later - when I ended up back in surgery. (For something else.)

I was also fighting a bacteria on top of the staph. My wound opened up November 8th, and I've been on antibiotics ever since. I wish you the very best of luck! I know packing the wounds hurts like [email protected]&! but it gets better and easier the more it heals. I found deep breathing and not looking at it helped me while they were doing it. Especially at home. I also took my pain pill about 45 minutes before they arrived to do it.
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Hi Patientone,

I had a stenoma that caused my incision to be reopened in the doc's office at 10 days post op from TAH. I had to heal from the bottom up after that. Put on Home bound with visiting nurse several times a week. DH was the one to repack my incision twice a day for the first phase with saline and gauze. This was to help it drain. Second phase we were put on calcium alginate roping that was packed only once a day. This really started the healing. DH said he could seee it change every day. Last phase was packing with hydrogel. That really speeded it up. Finally closed after seven weeks. Had to see the Doc every week. I was lucky it never got infected. DH did a fantastic job of keeping it clean and making me rest. Actually went back to work today. Still tired after a long day. I know what you are going through and just want you to know that it will get better with time. REST!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register