Dec 18th Post-op Seroma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dec 18th Post-op Seroma Dec 18th Post-op Seroma

Unread 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Dec 18th Post-op Seroma

I had a hysterectomy (uterus, ovaries and tubes gone), because of endo, adeno, fibroids, cycsts on ovaries, tubes and adhesions. Today I laid down to take my nap and woke up with me soaked, bed soaked, pillow ruined with watery, red sticky substance. I was home alone as DH took girls to see movie. Scared me to death. I called my DR. and left message for her to call me right away. Then called my friend who is OB/GYN (delivered second/last child C-sec), and told her what happened. She told me it was most likely seroma and walked me through step by step what to do and stayed on the phone with me till my Dr. called me back. DH came rushing home as well as my mom-in-law. I have to see Dr. in the am to check out incision. there are no signs of infection and the liquid came around a stitch. Now I feel sick on my tummy. I wonder if they are related? Has anyone recently had this seroma problem? I think the hospital should have told me it could happen! Dr. did say at the last visit she thought there was fluid around incision area and to use heating pad through out the day. Very scary. Is there anything else I should be aware of??
Blessings to one and all. Sassy45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Dec 18th Post-op Seroma

Hi there! I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this right now.

I had a couple of really scary "gushing" episodes -- once with blood running down my legs after a shower, and then lots of other fluid (which is what I'm guessing you're dealing with right now). It was no fun at all.

One thing that helped me was to learn that these things happen. They aren't "common", but they aren't really "uncommon" either. Once I knew that there were others going through what I had, I felt better right away.

The doctor will have to diagnose a seroma, which is really just a fancy term for a collection of fluid. Most seromas resolve on their own, which is also a good thing. Doctors will usually try a conservative treatment (in other words, basically just watching the fluid collection) to see if it resolves on its own -- because the act of trying to drain the fluid can actually bring on more problems than leaving it to resolve.

The doctor may put you on antibiotics to stave off infection, and you'll probably be told to take it very, very easy for the next several days.

As you can see by my signature line, I did have a hematoma/seroma surgery a year after my hysterectomy, for a very large hematoma which was diagnosed at 7 months post-op. You are fortunate in that, if this is indeed a seroma, it is being treated when you're pretty early on in the healing process. It's much easier for you to deal with it now than later, I can assure you.

to you. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Seroma Diagnosis

I just got back from the Doctors. She put me on antibotics, and continue resting. I have to go back on Friday to see if the fluid has been reabsorbed. Please pray that it does get reabsorbed...I don't want anymore surgeries. I feel so great in the mornings, but by the afternoon hours - I am totally wiped out. I get to a point where I can't even walk up the stairs without DH right behind me.

Happy New Year everyone. Tomorrow is our 14th Wedding Anniversary. I am so blessed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Dec 18th Post-op Seroma

Thank you. I still have the seroma, but we are working hard to get it to reabsorb. You would think with this belly fat it wouldn't be a problem. Go figure. I have to go back on Friday to have it reassessed. Then again on Monday afternoon to have the incision assessed again. Oh well, that is life.
Thank you for your words of wisdom. I will try to rest but I am getting really bored at home doing nothing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register