Post-op and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op and confused Post-op and confused

Unread 12-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Post-op and confused

I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy on December 13th. Removed was my uterus, cervix, and one ovary. (ill be sure of that at my post-op visit) I am confused as far as what my body is going to go through especially since I still have one ovary. Will I still ovulate every month? I was on birth control for over 25 years, will I have body reactions from not taking that anymore? I had my tubes tied 6 years ago but took the pill to maintain other female problems. I have had problems with bowel movements since the surgery, they hurt and pushing doesnt help if I need to go..will that go away? I know its only been a couple weeks but i still have discomfort and minor pain in the abdomen..is that okay. I have so many questions and most of the answers i have found are about abdominal hysterectomys or where both ovaries were removed. Anyone have any imput for me? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Post-op and confused

Hey! I had a vaginal hysterectomy 12/3 - so 10 days before you. I was told that I will still ovulate - but have read that our hormones get all out of whack from the surgery and the uterus being gone - but they will regulate themselves. I also had my tubes tied 6 years ago. My bowels/intestines hurt a lot too. I assume becuase when they removed my uterus the intestines just moved all into that space. And, I'm assuming as well that they had to manipulate my intestines getting the uterus and all the other goodies out.

I have been taking 3 colace stool softeners daily since my surgery. It does hurt to try to push BM's out. I just get prepared to sit for a while and usually it takes care of itself. I do push a little, but barely. I still have weird pains - different from when I first got home from the hospital.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions.
Unread 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Post-op and confused

Hi -

I was on BC pills for that long also and have since the surgery been off of them. I had a TVH and kept both ovaries. I haven't noticed anything except an increased libido which seems common so I'm not sure it is from that. I was worried about not taking them and what would happen, but so far nothing

The bowel pain does get better. Mine hurt bad until the 6th week and now I am fine. Miralax is the BEST ...IMO!!!
good Luck,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Post-op and confused

I had a TVH on 12/19 and am too a little confused with what my ovaries will do now. I know they will still cycle - but where does the egg go, etc? My Dr appt isn't until the 17th so I was hoping to not wait that long to figure it out!
I would be miserable without my stool softeners, but they give me really bad gas, so I've learned to take them just at night before bed.
I am still achy like premenstrual cramps but feel like I'm progressing and healing well. I have a desk job but don't intend to go back to work until the week of the 21st. When are you going back? It's nice to find someone on here who had similar surgery and date!
Unread 12-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Post-op and confused

I had TVH/BSO on 12/17/07. I can't really let you know anything about the ovaries since mine were taken, but noticed you guys are having more pain and bowel issues like me as opposed to the many TAH persons on other boards.

For me, the 2nd week post op has been worse than the 1st week - more pain and the whole bowel thing. I feel like my bowels are pushing on my bladder as well and causing me to feel as though I'm not completely emptying my bladder each time I go. Anyone else have that problem? I am afraid of taking stool softeners, etc due to IBS problems in the past... so I have suffered through, but I'm not sure how much longer I can do that either.

I have also had more pain in general this week than I felt last week. They feel like bad menstrual cramps. I try not to take my Lortab except at night so that I can sleep, but have had to take it a few times this week during the day. I too find that I have "weird pains" - not something I would have expected.

Also still get really tired really quickly. Went to my hematologist on Friday for B12 shot and it wore me plum out!!! Sitting up for any long period of time hurts as well. Anyone else feeling like this???

Looking forward to chatting with you ladies more during our recoveries!!! Everyone take care of yourselves!
Unread 12-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Post-op and confused

I am hoping not to go back until the 28th. My checkup is on the 17th and i feel that after the doctor releases me I will need the next week to be able to do some things before I go back to work that I couldnt do. My job is very demanding, overwhelming, etc. I need to prepare myself and get my stanima back. I was also wondering about a few other symptoms. I have stopped bleeded but still have alot of drainage coming out. Is that my bladder being week or just discharge. Also..this is a weird one. I am usually a cold person but when I sleep at night I would usually get warm and have night sweats. Ever since this surgery I am extrememly cold, slept in 2 sweatshirts last night. I know I was told my body would go through lots of changes even though I still have one ovary. But it is so hard at this stage as to what my body is going through and why things are happening. I feel so stupid. I was also told that the ovary will still produce eggs and they will just evaporate in the open area of the abdomen. I also heard that a woman can still experienc menopause symptons with ovaries because they may not produce enough hormones. Help.....I have so many questions.
Unread 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Post-op and confused

I totally feel the same thing like I have to pee even after I've just finished. It's higher up too and just a really uncomfortable feeling that the pain meds can't seem to touch. This developed in the last day or two.
If you are still on pain meds I think that you definitely need some kind of stool softener, my Dr was adament about this, so you should probably ask yours in relation to IBS. I accidently grabbed the stool softener with laxative but it's actually been great to help get things stirring. I just have to be careful not to take too often or I get diarhea.
Good luck to you and ahppy healing!
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Post-op and confused

Thanks for the response. I guess I am just confused about everything. How do you know what is normal during the recovery or what should be a concern to call the doctor. Today I am really crampy and have alot of off colored discharge. I know its only been a couple weeks and this is probably normal. Is there any point before the 4 wk checkup that the doctor should be called? I called last week about the bowel problem I was having. I have just read some "horror" stories on here and want to make sure I am not assuming pain, dishcharge is normal when it actually could be a potential problem.
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Post-op and confused

I would suggest if you feel concerned with something it's better to be safe than sorry and you should call your Dr. I have had no "drainage" just some spotting here and there. Lately its been more light brownish than red, but I haven't been concerned.
If you decide to call the Dr, let us know their response.
Unread 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Post-op and confused

Hey there...
In response to the cold at night issue... Me, too. Iwas struggling with perimen. symptoms before my Hyst. and now they have seemed to clear up. No more hot flashes and those awful night sweats are gone!! Odd, I was worried they may be more intolerable. What a blessing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register