Post-op and confused - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op and confused Post-op and confused

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Post-op and confused

I went to the Dr today for 2 wk post op checkup (actually 2 1/2 weeks due to the holidays). Anyhow, he says I am healing just fine.

A warning though, I thought that I was going to go through the ceiling when he inserted the speculum to check the progress of my healing.

I also spoke to him about all the things I have been feeling - crampy, like I have to pee every 5 minutes, etc. He told me they were all normal - the frequency/issue of feeling like I am not emptying my bladder he states is probably either due to the bowel issue (the full bowel pressing on the bladder) or he states my bladder may be sensitive for a while due to it being pushed around during the surgery. He advised I take either Colace or Milk of Magnesia to help things along and stated that they would help both the problems feel better.

He also said it is quite common among his patients to feel worse the 2nd week out like I have and is still normal for me to feel so tired after doing very little. He reminded me several times that each persons' healing is different and to take it easy and let my body heal.

As for the discharge that some of you are still having, he did ask me today if I was having any (which I haven't since about the 4th day after surgery) and he advised me that it was still possible as I healed further to have some discharge and that unless it was foul smelling or bright red blood that filled one pad in an hour that it was normal. He told me that some of the discharge would be the stitches dissolving themselves over time. Hope that helps those of you that were having questions about that.

I have not had any problems with being cold, however, my ovaries were taken, so that may be a difference. I have not been hot, but have to have the ceiling fan on in my bedroom to circulate the air or I feel like I can't breathe!! I am on HRT (Premarin) and have so far, not had any side effects from that, and actually feel much more in control than I did prior to surgery.

The past couple of days for me have been quite a bit better, with the exception of this afternoon after I got home from the Dr's office due to the pain of the exam. I have been cleared to use the stairs and drive now, so that is a blessing as I was getting quite a case of cabin fever!!

Good luck ladies!!! I am praying for all of us to get through this okay!! Til next time....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Post-op and confused

Thanks for this information. I was wondering what it was going to be like at my 4 week check up. I do have another question that i am not sure anyone can answer. How do they know you are healing internally. where they took off your tubes or eggs? Do they do a sonar or anything? i know the vaginal exam will show healing of the vaginal cuff but what about the internal healing.

I have had a rough week. cramping seems to be back this week but i know its still normal. I still have to wear a pad becuase of discharge and it turned back to light pink yesterday.

I know the TVH is not as rough as the abdonimal and I still have one ovary but I dont feel myself. I am surely not ready to go back to work. I dont feel totally miserable but I dont like how im feeling right now. does anyone feel the same?
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Post-op and confused

Hudda - your post was so helpful, thank you!
SummerGlow - I can commiserate with you. I am 2 weeks out and feeling not as good as I had anticipated. Last night I actually told my DH that I was regretting the surgery. I hope that the next two weeks get better as I go in for my postop on the 17th. I would really like to hear my pathology report too so to maybe further justify having the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Post-op and confused

is there supposed to be a discharge after a hyst? I havent had ANY after mine.. and no stitches coming out or anything.. the sutures on my tummy came out eventually, they were the kind that eventually came out on their own (dissolvable) but I've not had any kind of discharge at all. And no stitches or anything.. is that normal?
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Post-op and confused

tilly.kitten
I also had a LSH, and no discharge or stitches, except those on my tummy. My Dr cauterized my cervyx (have the pictures now), so I don't know that there were stitches involved in that part. I'd guess if there were, they dissolve internally.
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Post-op and confused

I had a SAH on 12/5 but one ovary was taken because it was "stuck" to my uterus by endometriosis. I have been having hot and cold flashes and some bed spins. Socks on, socks off, socks on, socks off. I read somewhere on this site that 50% of women who have hysterectomies but keep ovaries have symptoms of menopause within 5 years. I don't know if my problems are due to surgery shock, one ovary or peri-menopause.
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Post-op and confused

I had my hyster on the 11th and they took both ovaries (unexpectedly) due to endo on both and in fallopian tubes. Because of this, they put me on livial (tibolone) which isn't estrogen but behaves as such so I didn't skid into menopause or have symptoms of it. I'm 49 and wasn't even remotely approaching menopause until my unexpected ovary removal. Anyways, I can tell you that I have not had any symptoms so far of menopause since being on the livial other than really bad headaches for first two weeks post surgery. So far, no hot flashes etc. and I was told I may not get them due to being on HRT with the livial.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register