Are there things we can never do again? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are there things we can never do again? Are there things we can never do again?

Unread 12-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Are there things we can never do again?

Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering. I guess it is different for everyone depending on what led up to the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 05:42 PM

i've never heard of anyone having restrictions for life after a hysterectomy. there are surgeries that are much more complicated that have no lifetime restrictions. i'm not speaking for all people with prolapses but i do know people that have had them that have no limitiations at all. it must depend on the surgeon.
Unread 12-31-2007, 05:49 PM

I love to hike and I'm really excited to think that I won't have to hike in grizzly country anymore and worry about a grizzly smelling the menstual flow. I'm also happy that I won't have to wear 2 tampons at a time, plus a pad, when I'm out backpacking and then carry those suckers out because they don't burn worth a flip. Ok. This next statement is really gross, but it truly happened to me. I lost a tampon up there during a backpacking trip. Man, I thought my thing had up and died on me. I'm very happy that putting up with a lost tampon removal is something I will ever have to do again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Unfortunately, I'm one who also has a permant lifting restriction of 25 lbs, due to the posterior repairs I had along with the hyst.

Furthermore, those of us who a total hysterectomy need to take in consideration the fact that we are at increased risk of a prolapse, due to the absence of the cervix. Fortunately, there are therapies and exercises we can do to strengthen the pelvic floor. Doing simple Kegles can do wonders in that department.

I am a bowler and have been bowling since about 6 months after my hyst. I bowl 5 pins, so use the small balls... but I have bowled 10 pins and will use a 5 or 7 lb ball: I have small hands and I'm not strong enough for the heavier balls

One thing I'm sure: vaccuming is a permanent restriction
Unread 12-31-2007, 09:53 PM

no restrictions, as mentioned. I tried not to overlift before surgery, due to back issues. Before surgery, my doc had told me not to lift over 10 lbs due to a prolapsed uterus. How did I know of my prolapse? I felt a bulging something at my vaginal opening. I didn't know what it was. I've heard of bladders falling out, but what I was feeling was my cervix.

My cervix was sorta like a hernia. It would bulge out sometimes and then go in. When laying down, it usually would go inside. My doc told me that it was not a medical emergency, but it was a nuisance. She would fix it, though. I chose to leave it since it was not a major problem.

my TAH BSO was due to uterine cancer, but it took care of my bulge.

My doc didn't mention any lifting restrictions, but said to ease back into my workout routines. I did some real light ab crunches last week. Last night I did a few more ab crunches and did fine. I've done some workouts with 2 lb weights. I tried a 10 min workout with a few pushups, squats, lunges, ab crunches. I got in 6 min and was pooped. today, I did the 10 min. I've been doing a modified version of walk aerobics by Leslie Sansone. This has been since my release at 7 weeks.

During the 7 week time, I increase my walking each week and moved my arms some with no weights.

My hubby said that I felt some different ... it's the absence of my bulging cervix which is a good thing. the cervix thing was beginning to get in my way.
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:40 AM

That is encouraging, Lovetowalk, because I was wary of doing situps and I want to do them and some crunches to try to get rid of (or at least get it down) this belly ridge. I'm a big baby about some things, especially things that hurt, and I didn't want to do something to injure myself.
Unread 01-01-2008, 07:58 AM

As far as I know the weight lifting restrictions are only until your surgeon clears you. In fact, I've never heard of physical restrictions applying after your surgeon clears you unless you have some other physical condition that restricts your activities. I have limits on lifting weights because of my herniated discs, not because I've had a hysterectomy. As for the "feeling crazy" part, I think that applies for quite a while after the surgeon clears us. I'm still having issues with emotional swings, although they have gotten better. Still, sometimes I go through so many different emotions, and contradictory ones at that, in a short period of time that I feel totally nuts. Eventually I calm down and feel more in control of myself, but for a while it can be pretty rough.
Unread 01-01-2008, 09:31 AM

yeah, I was chicken, too. Just try something real light and then go from there. It's hard sometimes to slow down or not do too much; other times, my bod just says don't do more.

I wonder how long it will take to get back to full speed workouts. For now, I'm OK with the gradual incline. I'm so happy to get my cancer out!!

My doc said that I could do whatever I wanted to do, but to "ease" in. I think she knew that I would not want to do too much to start with. It's really amazing how our approx one hour surgery can take such a toil on the bod. I tell myself that I was out of my regular workout stuff for 9 weeks. I had a D&C 2 weeks before my hyst.

I walked nearly every day following my hyst. I started with short, short walks and worked up. It was actually easier to get in the easy walks during my recovery, before work and the holidays.

QVC is featuring lots of workout stuff today.
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:29 PM

I had a lifting restriction of 25 pounds for six weeks after my surgery -- or until cleared by my doctor.

When I was cleared by the doctor, he told me that I couldn't just "dive" back in -- I had to "ease" back in. He actually said, "You can't go home and just lift your 40-pound child and carry him around today. No way."

Part of the reason for the warning he gave was that your body gets very "out of shape" very quickly when you rest after surgery. So you could do damage -- not just to the surgical area, but to your back, legs, and arms -- by lifting too much too soon.

I would say I was pretty much back to my regular activities at about 5 months post-op. I still suffered fatigue (which often came on without warning) and found myself napping or just losing steam without warning until that point.

I only share this to give you my own experience, however. Please don't take my word -- or that of any other (((sister))) -- as permission to do anything which you and your doctor have not discussed. Many other patients have more restrictions than I had due to additional repairs or other underlying medical conditions.

to all.
Unread 01-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Different docs/different procedures/different women ... 25 lbs ... gee, I don't lift that much most of the time. My doc said not to bring in the groceries, so I didn't lift much at all during my first 7 weeks. A few times I lifted a gallon of milk out of the frig. I took the grocery thing as my general guide. My doc mentioned lifting in my work, but that's really not an issue for what i do.

Five months ... I've heard 6, but my doc didn't mention any long term healing, like this. I keep counting my weeks. This is 9 weeks, for me. I just had a little ouchie this afternoon. I have some twinges, here and there, but nothing major. Sometimes, during sexual activities, I feel a bit of tenderness.

I still have a bulging looking area, just above my incision. My doc said that it looked like some scar tissue. I need to get out my tape measure and see how I'm doing inches-wise. I may do that over the weekend. I may get up the nerve to try on some of my pre-op jeans. They were a bit snug then. ha ha.

I've been fortunate to be off work for the holiday. I work at a university. I'm expecting some tiredness with returning to work tomorrow. yesterday, I just pooped out tired, all of a sudden.

I hope by spring, I'll be up to hiking to my fav waterfall, about 5 miles from home. It's about a mile or so hike, but semi=strenuous. The mile isn't a problem, but it's the ups and downs that make the difference.

thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register