vaginal hysterectomy - now have rectocele? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy - now have rectocele? vaginal hysterectomy - now have rectocele?

Unread 12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
vaginal hysterectomy - now have rectocele?

I am just over 4 weeks post-op from a total vaginal hysterectomy. The operation seemed to go well and the recovery was also going well. Then at about 3 weeks post op I discovered a bulging from my vagina and I now seem to have a cystocele. I wonder how common this is to occur post-op. I'm sure I must have had a weakening of the vag vault and the surgery just made things worse. My post op check up with the Dr is on Friday Jan 4. I am afraid this means another surgery. Any comments or advice? Thanks and Happy New Year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2007, 07:45 PM

Hi GracieMae

It's disappointing to get one issue taken care of only to discover a new problem. Hopefully the bulge you have noticed isn't causing you too much trouble. You might still have some swelling from surgery, especially when you are up for a while. I'm not sure if you are thinking it's a rectocele or cystocele, but either way - it seems the repairs are done only when they are causing significant problems. Some get worse, others do not. I hope whatever you are experiencing improves or at least doesn't get any worse.

I developed a 3rd degree rectocele the year after my hyst. Just a year out from having a posterior repair and now I have a 3rd degree cystocele and terrible stress incontinence. I've always been very good about doing my kegels and was told I had good pelvic support, so I was a little surprised (and humbled) by these issues, but just the way it goes sometimes. Darn it.

These links may have some information of interest to you. Hope they help:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=291517

Good luck with your appointment. Let us know what you find out, okay?

Gentle s,
Beth
Unread 01-01-2008, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info and the links. I will let you know what happens after my check-up on Friday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM

I had my check-up yesterday (5 1/2 weeks post-op) and I do indeed have a rectocele. Unfortunately it hadn't presented itself prior to my TVH and I am now booked for another surgery in 3 weeks. I was very pleased with my recovery after the hyster, didn't need anything for pain once I went home from the hospital. The Dr said that a posterior repair is much more painful because there are more nerve-endings in that area. I will be so glad when this is all over! Now I'll be searching all the rectocele/posterior repair posts for info and support. Thank heavens for hystersisiters
Unread 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie Mae
I had my check-up yesterday (5 1/2 weeks post-op) and I do indeed have a rectocele. Unfortunately it hadn't presented itself prior to my TVH and I am now booked for another surgery in 3 weeks. I was very pleased with my recovery after the hyster, didn't need anything for pain once I went home from the hospital. The Dr said that a posterior repair is much more painful because there are more nerve-endings in that area. I will be so glad when this is all over! Now I'll be searching all the rectocele/posterior repair posts for info and support. Thank heavens for hystersisiters
Hi Gracie - Sorry to hear you have to have another surgery - please have them check your bladder too so you can have all taken care of at once. Hysterectomies very frequently lead to cystocele and rectocele, as the uterus is a support for the bladder. I had the works surgery on Oct 29th - indeed the rectocele repair is much more painful - I didn't even feel the pain from my hysterectomy until one week postop when the rectal pain started to ease up a bit. I am 10 weeks out now, and can sit now for longer periods of time and am getting back to normal, which is great. The rectocele repair definitely takes quite a bit longer to heal than everything else. One tip for you - after the surgery, when you are on your pain medicine, if it doesn't take away all of the pain (and my medicine didn't for the full 4-6 hours), use an ice pack down there - it helps tremendously, especially in the first few days! It was a life saver for me.

Best wishes to you-

Sandy
Unread 01-05-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the tips Sandy, I will make sure I have an ice pack handy. One concern I have is that it will be day surgery and the hospital is 2 hours away from my home. Not looking forward to the drive home. I think I will ask if the Dr can inject a local anaesthetic at the end of the procedure that won't wear off until I get home.
When I had my hyster I also had a TVT (trans-vag taping) for stress incontinence. I'm not sure if I could still develop a cystocele?
Also, my Dr thought I could go back to work after 3 weeks. I do sit alot in my job - I hope he's not being overly optimistic.
Thanks again,
Gracie
Unread 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM

I had trouble sitting for 30 minutes at a time, especially in an office chair sitting on pillows at 3 weeks- I went back to work in my 5th week, working four hours per day for three days that week, and that four hours practically killed me! I had to get up constantly. I also had everything done all at once, so I don't know if that could have anything to do with it either, but clearly the rectocele repair was the hardest and affected my sitting the very most. I'm 10 weeks out and now I can sit pretty normally, but sometimes it will start to ache if I'm on a hard surface or if I don't move around a little bit. My doc said my rectocele repair was more difficult than she anticipated it would be, so I could have had more pain from it because of that too. I would say 3-4 weeks would be reasonable, if you don't have to just sit on your butt the whole time you are working like I do.

You probably won't like the ride home, unless your anesthetic hasn't completely worn off yet, in which case, the pain will hit you after you get home, which would be better. I would ask for your pain prescription prior to surgery so you can get it filled and have it at home when you get there, if your doc hasn't already done that.

It could be that the rectocele repair by itself isn't as bad as having the works all at once!

I would think if you had a TVT your bladder should be fine and shouldn't need to be redone, so that's really good for you!

Another tip for you with the rectocele repair is you will be afraid the first time you have a BM - I didn't have one for four days, and it felt like it was kind of stuck. I started out eating lots of fiber and soft foods and drinking tons of fluids. Peppermint tea helped me with my first BM -
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for your info and advice. I do sit alot in my job so I guess I will just wait and see how I am doing in my third week. If I feel it's too soon I'll have to see my Dr and get a note to be off another week. I remember my first BM after having a huge episiotomy and it was horrible! Will make sure I get lots of fibre, my challenge will be remembering to drink lots of water
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM

i'm so sorry you have to have another surgery. i hope everything goes well and your recovery isnt too bad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register