Hysterectomy dates Dec 31-Jan 07,2007 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 31-Jan 07,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 31-Jan 07,2007

Unread 01-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 31-Jan 07,2007

Im 4 days post op. Im trying to stay ahead of the pain which is pretty severe. What medsd did you all come home on? I have toradol, percoset and darvocet. Depending on the pain I take a different one but I am trying not to take too many. Im worried about getting dependant on them. I had my first BM today, YAY! I have IBS so I was worried about that. I used OTC Dulcolax suppositories, which I highly recommend as an alternative to any other laxative. I am so thankful I am not constipated. I have an appitite, though I have not felt up to cooking. My dh has been great, helping with household chores and bathing etc. I know he is worried about me. I did buy the swelly belly band but I find I am not liking the wet feeling it leaves me with. I do like the support and coolness of it. Maybe I am using it wrong. My IV was infiltrated and my left arm and hand still hurt. The swelling has gone down a lot but the pain is still there. I usually wrap myself up in bed, take a toradol, crunch up a pillow on my belly, wrap the heating pad around my arm and lay that on my pillow and go to sleep. (I do turn the heating pad off before I fall asleep.) I am alternating between hot and cold but I can deal with that. I was on norethin for months before surgery and the hot flashes and hot hands that gave me was almost untolerable. I am not looking forward to this week, because my dh will be back at work and I need him! LOL I have good kids though and I know they will help me out if I need them to. My dogs are being really good emotional support too I plan on ordering some scrapbook paper and getting some cards made!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008, 06:31 AM

cmw1973 congrats on the first bm take it from me that is a good thing. LOL. it sound like you pain is pretty bad that is not good i hope you feel better soon. i was sent home with motrin 600 and percocet they have been working for me i still hurt but it is managaeable. i hope your week gos ok with your dh at work. i have my mother here with me so that helps my husband has to work too. actually ill be glad when my husband gos back to work he is cranky this morning. LOL. actually he has been pretty helpful but he likes to be out and about not home so he will be glad to be back working and back to the farm. as for the dogs they have been good support for me to it is amazing how they just know when you are not feeling well. the cats too they just know. its kinda freaky. well ill be thinking of all of my hister sisters every one take care. kelly.
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM

I was sent home with Ultram and Motrin 600mg. I struggle taking anything stronger due to nasuea and rash. Today day 6 is worse with pain than yesterday. I finally had a BM last night and again this am. I freaked out last night after the BM when I thought my catheter was leaking. I dont think it is now. I think I did too much yesterday, I got up and unloaded the dishwasher, my DH is feeling a little taxed. I promise I did not lift anything heavy. It was mostly glasses. My oldest son goes back to school tomorrow and the 2 year old will probably go to grandmas for a break for DH. We are in the middle of a really bad winter storm here in Northern California and most of our neighbors and friends have been without power for days now. We luckily have power now, we only lost it for a day. Thank goodness my DH has been here to help with the power outage. That would have sent me over the top. I can not beleive how the pain is today. It is weird. Right side incision pain. Everyone take care. Does anyone know what to expect in the next few days pain wise? Shelby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Today I am on a roller coaster going from feeling bad to good to really good then feeling really emotional. The evenings are the best for me. I have insomnia like crazy and I think that has alot to do with how I am feeling during the day. I am so tired but I can't get comfortable to sleep I can almost lay on my side comfortably so I am pretty excited about that. My DH has been very lovey today and I have really needed it. I snapped at him earlier because I wanted a coffee and money is a little tight untill next payday so he said I probably shouldnt then I yelled at him for wanting to put tomatoes in the beef stew lol. I know that I am being over emotional when we start fights like that, he assured me that its not even been a week and that it will pass and I will feel so good. I cant wait. I noticed yesterday that a piece of the stitches that I have is sticking out at the end of the incision and I almost pulled it thinking it was a piece of tape residue, that might have been really bad. Anyway today its kinda poking me in the side. I can't wait untill my 2 week checkup so that I can be re assured that I am healing well. I have realized through this experience that I like to be in control and its kinda making me nutz that I'm not really right now.
Unread 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM

I was sent home with Percocet and basically super strong Aleve as well as Iron combo vitamin due to blood loss in surgery.
Unread 01-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Five days of healing now and I feel pretty good although I can't sleep for nothing tonight! I toss and turn. It's not really good for dh, since he's returning to work tomorrow. He's been a huge help and I'm so glad he's been supportive 100 percent, even taking my agitation and letting it roll off of him. I don't think I've been emotional over it. I keep on dreaming and waking up in cold sweats about coming out of surgery. It was so miserable waking up from anesthesia and I can't get it out of my mind.

We did manage to get out of the house a bit today. Dh took us to eat pizza and then we enjoyed the nice weather and let the kids play hard at the park, myself sitting and just enjoying the fresh air of course. I really think they needed the release after being stuck inside for so long.

I still have an air bubble up in my ribs and it's driving me crazy!!! arrrgh!

Well I'm off to attempt sleep once again. We'll see what happens.
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:31 AM

Sorry youre having so much trouble sleeping, della. Me too, obvoiusly since I am here posting to you! The pain is manageable today, though I am going to have to take something soon. My boys are very supportive with lots of hugs for me, but my youngest is sick and I want to just take care of him and not worry about myself. I want to vacuum so bad! I didnt realize how anal I am about that... I love my Dyson! I took another dreft bath tonight LOL Maybe it is aromatherapy? Hehe The bruising is starting to come out now in places I didnt expect it. Im still going #2 ok which surprises me because of having IBS. My bladder hasnt acted up either which was one of my main concerns having IC. I havent driven yet, but i will have to tomorrow. I feel unsociable and not really wanting to talk to anyone on the phone, and I know thats making my mom mad. I just dont want to talk to anyone. It dawned on me today, consciously that I will definitely not be having more kids. I knew that, yk, but it is so final now. It made me sad for a little while, but I guess I am ok with it. I have to be now, right? I get spurts of energy and I have to be careful not to over do it. After my bath I put the swelly belly band on and I couldnt feel the cold. Is it normal to be so numb? I hate the way my stitches poke. And I dont like the way my dr sewed my bottom incision. I have to live with this body forever yk? Take some time to make it look ok! Hope all of you are feeling better day by day!
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:06 AM

hello ladies, i hope i find everyone feeling better today. i am beat i was out yesterday from 9am to 9pm i am beat. i over did it to say the least. i did not do much while i was out but i was up the whole time and i dont think i was ready for that much activity but i was getting so bored. so i went with my husband for the day. i wont do that agian for a few days. it has been one week to day since my surgery and i am still pretty sore. i am also having issues with the whole finality of the no more kids thing too. i was told by my phychologist that is to be expected and to not be too hard on my self over it. i am ok with it just a little bummed about it because we always wanted more but it just wasnt going to happen and i was in such pain every month i could not live that way any more so we gave up that choice to have any more so i just need to accept that i will only have the one that i have and move on a very very hard concept to swallow. but with support i will get threw it. i am blessed by the one child that i do have . god blessed me with a son 12 years ago. so i jusst need to stop crying and be blessed i guess it is hard tho. well i hope all is getting better with every one kelly 32 yrs old total LAVH 12/31/07
Unread 01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Post-op

Hi ladies,
I had my "castle day" on Jan 3. I had previously had a hysterectomy leaving my ovaries two years ago, however, due to cysts and adhesions I had to go under again. They were going to do it laproscopicely, however, my insides were collapsed?? and they ended up having to cut. I stayed two nights and got to come home on Saturday. My first night was horrible, no comfort, and the pain was so intense. I slept good yesterday and last night, so I'm feeling a little bit better today. I think I have a long road ahead of me. They applied a hormone patch and I go back to DR tomorrow to remove staples and discuss what my hormone treatment will be. I have terrible night sweats and wake up drowned!! Not sure if this is part of hormones or just the surgery itself. I have to sleep on couch as I cannot get comfortable in bed. Thank you for all the valuable information! This website and info were mentioned several times by myself and my mother during my hospital stay, nurses were impressed! Keep up the great work!

Holly
Unread 01-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Hi Holly,
The night sweats are probably due to the hormones. When I went this am to the DR he increased my estrogen because I have been having night sweats again. I have been on HRT for the past two years to deal with ovarian failure. It is amazing how much of a difference a little hormone can make in the overall well being of a person. You should talk to your DR about it tomorrow.
Shelby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register